Qatar Airways lounge access on award tickets

hb13

Qantas
Gold
It seems like Qatar is intent on losing even more market share, now dropping lounge access for award bookings, as reported by Executive Traveller:

Last edited:

Brissy1

Even less passengers to pull off their planes and invasively search. OK it wasn't the airline, but it was the owner of the airline.

Scarlett

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Very clearly gone are the deep pockets of QR and it's owners...

But how many people will this really affect? Those playing the points game probably have status access to the lounges anyway.

Ktan89

Anyone know when this will take into effect? What coughpy news, I was keen to visit the Singapore and Doha lounge next year..
Covid19 sucks even more. HAHA

hb13

Qantas
Gold
Very clearly gone are the deep pockets of QR and it's owners...

But how many people will this really affect? Those playing the points game probably have status access to the lounges anyway.

Most QR lounges worldwide do not care about status and you can't enter no matter what your status is, unless your status is with QR - this is when all lounges are open and things are operating normally.

For example, Qantas Gold members (Oneworld sapphire) cannot enter QR lounges in Paris, London or Doha - even though QR is a Oneworld airline. QR gives people with status access to lounges which are much more inferior to satisfy their Oneworld requirements.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Hmm they dont seem to clarify when, is this only for new bookings or existing ones ?

As far as I understand, it's for all bookings, including existing ones. You made an interesting point in the other thread... business award tickets are 'U' class, not 'R'. So I wonder if they will do a backflip on that rule.

hb13

Qantas
Gold
As far as I understand, it's for all bookings, including existing ones. You made an interesting point in the other thread... business award tickets are 'U' class, not 'R'. So I wonder if they will do a backflip on that rule.

Haha - they'll probably change it in time to make sure customers are worse off. It seems to me like the strategy is that no one enters QR branded premium lounges unless they are on the second most expensive or most expensive ticket.

Pom-DownUnder

guess i should bite the bullet and sit on hold long enough to see if i can pick my seat, that might be an indicator

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
I've previously needed to call to select the couples Q-Suites. Hold time was minimal when call the AU number.

jase05

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
After some help as I’ve got conflicting information in regards to upgrades getting access to Al Safwa First lounge in DOH.
We both are QR Platinums thanks to the status match and each have 60 QCredits to burn. Looking to book some Y flights around October and have found upgrade availability. QR website says business tickets are eligible to use the lounge yet anecdotal evidence from people previously saying they have been denied and sent to the lesser lounge.

andye

Virgin
Platinum
After some help as I’ve got conflicting information in regards to upgrades getting access to Al Safwa First lounge in DOH.
We both are QR Platinums thanks to the status match and each have 60 QCredits to burn. Looking to book some Y flights around October and have found upgrade availability. QR website says business tickets are eligible to use the lounge yet anecdotal evidence from people previously saying they have been denied and sent to the lesser lounge.
My understanding was that the Al Safwa lounge was only open to pax flying Oneworld First.
I did think that OW status including QR gets you into Al Mourhan but the website says only for OW J passengers.
It says the First and Business lounge on the second floor are for Y with status
However I understand that currently status passengers can access the Mourjan while the second floor lounges are closed

Last edited:

aus_flyer

Established Member
My understanding was that the Al Safwa lounge was only open to pax flying Oneworld First.
I did think that OW status including QR gets you into Al Mourhan but the website says only for OW J passengers.
It says the First and Business lounge on the second floor are for Y with status
However I understand that currently status passengers can access the Mourjan while the second floor lounges are closed
QR Platinums can use the Al Safwa lounge when flying business

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..