Qantas to wetlease from Jetstar?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yada Yada, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Given the hammering that the Qantas share price is currently taking and the poor market outlook, perhaps wetleasing from JQ is now firmly on the horizon. It's a clever way to drive down the wages bill and remove conditions that they find costly. And they already have the precedent of doing this with the winding up of AO services (info here) .

You would assume that this is simply a cost saving exercise for Qantas but I wonder if it might affect passengers too? Will JQ-trained crews provide the same level of (grumpy:rolleyes:) service when operating QF flights, or will we also see a shift towards a low-cost approach given the crew's LCC training and experience?

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMoreā€¦

2. browski

browski Established Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Melbourne
    So they are only going to make between $670,000,000 and $875,000,000 in 365 days of shameless gouging. The sky is falling, the sky is falling......

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I think the signs are there that we will see the majority of QF services deteriorating to the point where they are run under the Jetstar LCC brand.

If fuel costs are hitting them that hard how come they are still able to make $670 million profit?

The article also mentions that their biggest cost is wages/salaries at $3.2 billion. I think it is time they started chopping from the top if they really want to save some money.

4. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    That's a very good point. I remember seeing the annual salary reported when the head of IT left QF. It was obscene. :(

5. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    I think its inevitable. Alot of people have predicted it will happen. I far prefer the JQ staff to QF anyway, younger, cheerful (not DJ stupid annoying cheerful) and professional.