Qantas to unveil new logo, kangaroo and all

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Brettmcg, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Brettmcg

Brettmcg Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

2. mileagemax

mileagemax Intern

May 11, 2006
  3. newflyer

newflyer Intern

Sep 19, 2005
    The 'Berra (ACT)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Will be interesting to see if they extend the logo revision to the rest of their corporate identity/marketing communication products (the website in particular, but also BPs, signage, etc.), and when and how quickly this will happen.

I was talking to a colleague last week about when Telecom changed to Telstra, and how long it took to change everything over to the new visual identity (and how much of a logistical nightmare the process must've been).

Having said that, I still saw a 'Telecom' van (complete with the old school orange logo) in far west NSW late last year!

4. sully

sully Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Wolloomooloo, NSW
    Big bloody deal. Wonder what it cost them at the expense of improving customer service, maintenance etc etc. Didn't think it was broke..........

5. pauly7

pauly7 Established Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Looks cool... bit faster more modern roo!

Can't wait to see the official announcement with the new economy class etc tomorrow!

(Although I flew in a 737-400 today and I swear it looked brand new! I'm sure it had new seats, was sparkling...?)

6. sully

sully Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Wolloomooloo, NSW
    Perhaps it should have been painted all red so it would go faster like a Ferrari.

Re the Y+ that is good news as there could be more of a chance of getting that on some of our long haul flights here at work.

7. Brettmcg

Brettmcg Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That "rat" you speak of must have bloody long legs and a pretty fair tail. However, that's beside the point - looks like all they've done is put the poor roo on a diet (or they gave him the option of Economy fish or chicken ;)).

8. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe its the flying Quokka

9. Kalan

Kalan Junior Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    Good to see it is only bringing it up to date and not doing an entire rehaul. As above, why change something that works?

10. Febs

Febs Established Member

Aug 15, 2006
    HKG
    That's what I'm wondering. I'd also add "why such a minor change?"

Personally, I think it now looks less like a kangaroo than it did before. At first glance, I'm sure most people probably wouldn't even notice it's changed.

Surely they could've kept the "spirit" of the old logo, but changed it a bit more than that? Seems like a pointless waste of money to me.

"Meh"....

Cheers,
    - Febs.

PS: Never thought I'd say it...but I think the Channel 9 logo change was more effective than this one!

11. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Perhaps it's part of the fight against obesity? A trimmed down rat?

I am just amazed that the discussion here is about them announcing the new logo and not the fact that we are finally going to see what the new hard product is going to be like!!!!!

12. moa999

moa999 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  13. Febs

Febs Established Member

Aug 15, 2006
    HKG
    Priorities mate, priorities!

Heh, kidding. Plenty of other threads for that discussion though. Going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

Cheers,
    - Febs.

14. wallacej

wallacej Active Member

Dec 3, 2006
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I don't like it!

All the other logos over the years have had style that I am sure suited the time. This is just awful. The existing one I think is far superior.

BTW - Who knows how to put one of those vote/poll things together.
    1. Like it the way it is
    2. Like it the way it will be
    3. Would like it changed, but to something else

As said, it aint broke. It isn't like they needed an image change, this happens with their new aircraft. But maybe with the new 787 and the new Airbus planes they figured now is as good a time as anyto change the logo...but I still don't like it.;)

15. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Sorry I disagree I think it looks great - more energetic and fluid, less stately.

And yes I'm HANGING out for the reveal of the new economy plus etc :p

Exciting times for QF and FF's!

16. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    As posted in a related thread, the composite materials used in A380/787 contruction make painting difficult; it seems the tail fin must be made with the logo already in place.

It seems to me this 'nip & tuck' keeps more of the Roo on the tail, and creates a 'base' for the roo to 'stand' on should the fuselage scheme alter.

17. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    OKAY, on the ground at SYD (from a JQ, T2 arrival perspective)...

Attached Files:

18. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Great pic - really shows the comparison between the two logos. :)

19. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    #19 d15.in.oz, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
    Not one of mine :( ...see the way the sun/Photoshop hits the "S" just above 'Qantas'...subtle, yet reassuringly articulate! ;)

20. $CJ

$CJ Member

Dec 7, 2006
    That font is awful.

IMHO The current (well, obsolete now) 1984 branding is (was?) still quite modern.