Qantas to ban some wheelchairs

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NM, Dec 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    From News.com.au

QANTAS will ban some wheelchair-bound patrons from certain aircraft because their chairs don't safely fit through cargo doors.

Several Qantas staff had been seriously injured, including one permanently disabled, while trying to load the electric wheelchairs into some planes, the airline said.

Qantas said some electric wheelchairs would be excluded from flights on their fleet of 737s, 717s and Aerospace 146s because of the problem.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I haven't seen the cargo doors of an aircraft to be able to comment but someone else may be able to confirm the accuracy of this statement.

Again I am not sure but I didn't think that anything was loaded manually onto an aircraft, especially something that weighed 150kg.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Confirmed
    [quote="JohnK']
    Again I am not sure but I didn't think that anything was loaded manually onto an aircraft, especially something that weighed 150kg.[/quote]
    On the aircraft specifically referenced in this statement, all loading is manual. The only assistance is the use of a mobile conveyor belt on some aircraft.

Its only 767, A330 and 747 that have containerised freight loading capabilities, and those aircraft are all ok for electric wheelchair carriage.