Qantas to axe another 1,000 jobs: report

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Yada Yada, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Maintenance staff will probably breathe a sigh of relief!

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    20% is fairly significant - outsourced calls to India anyone?

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    How much "management, support and administration" fit into the scope of an off-shore call centre?

I also which 20% of the executive management team is included in the 1000 positions?

4. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    They'll probably get rid of the frequent flyer call centre. If there are no award flights available, why have a help line. Also why help ff'ers get those missing points, they may actually want to use them at some stage

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    20%!

Clearly CEO, CFO, COO, CIO etc are all very important so they must be excluded. Then we find 20% of the rest of the executive is 2.9 people, which must get rounded down to 2. One of which is already on leave and the other is near retirement so that leaves, well 0. But it really is 20% - have to lead by example!

6. Nobby

Nobby Intern

Nov 18, 2005
    Sydney
    Often with these kinds of this it's "middle management" that gets most of the cuts, making the organisation "flatter". The idea being that the top guys are indisposable because of their vision and leadership, and the bottom guys are indisposable because without "grunts" there's no one to get things done. So they often find that there are layers of middle management that aren't necessary, and consolidate

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Qantas union could strike over cuts

8. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    yawn what else is new!

sometimes i feel a little sorry for Qantas, under the microscope 24/7. a company associated with mine just announced internally it would do the same to twice as many employees (and this has occured for about 2 years running) and didn't even make the papers.

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    They can easily achieve the same savings by getting rid of only 3 positions, CEO, CFO, CIO. The only thing Geoff Dixon does well is look for ways to get rid of workers so he can increase the size of his Christmas bonus.

The board of directors can still make any key decisions and middle management can ensure that any directives issued by the directors is carried out by the employees.

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    aint that the truth - some companies the media love to bag while others just slip under the radar