Qantas Revenue booking cancellations (under covid19)

Peter D

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Posts
151
Last Sunday I was meant to be departing on QF9, returning QF10 in June. Unfortunately I am still here dreaming of what might have been.

Thanks to advice on AFF I ignored inducements to cancel for a voucher without penalties and waited for QANTAS to initiate the cancellation which they did on 25th March. Once I saw the “equal or higher” restriction on the voucher I clicked the refund button.

Thought I would wait a month berfore following up.

Thank you Scr77 for the email address you supplied page 35. I sent an email on Monday. Received a reply 8.00am today refund is on the way to my credit card.

Pleasantly surprised to actually get a personal email as well as the computer generated confirmation.
 

Hillbilly64

Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2019
Posts
180
ok just got what looks like a credit note after the cancellation back in early Feb -

Off Line Point to Off Line Point
I have this in my account. Just had a play and if can only be used if I boom from original point of origin (in this case Fiji). I don't want to travel overseas anytime in the near future... So I either have to go to Fiji (and boom a flight over) or lose $2500. Does anyone know if there is anyway to use it on domestic travel instead.
 

maroonone

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Posts
162
I have this in my account. Just had a play and if can only be used if I boom from original point of origin (in this case Fiji). I don't want to travel overseas anytime in the near future... So I either have to go to Fiji (and boom a flight over) or lose $2500. Does anyone know if there is anyway to use it on domestic travel instead.
Did you cancel or QF. If QF just call and request a refund. Otherwise I understand you have to ring up to use and it is valid for any origin and destination it’s just the value and other rules.
 

HappyFlyerFamily

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Posts
5,334
Just by way of update, I chose to voluntarily cancel my red e-deal domestic flights for 3 people for June into flight credits even though it’s a day before the 30/4 deadline.

In my case, saving about $600 in change fees was worth it instead of risking about $1950 hoping to get a better deal or a full refund if Qantas cancelled.

Of interest, the flight credit now says Off Line Point to Off Line Point.

Because I saw some contributions say that sometimes when Qantas cancel they convert the booking to Off Line Point to Off Line Point with a refund button at the bottom, I just double checked and there is no refund button at the bottom (clearly their system is able to detect our cancellations and Qantas cancellations).
 

Donne

Newbie
Joined
Dec 6, 2019
Posts
1
Hi, I'm new to this Forum (LTG/P). Just wanted to give my feedback regarding my today's voluntary cancellation of Yflex return CFS-SIN at the end of June 20. After reading through today's 200 pages (confidential) report of 124 leading Australian academics (economists, political scientists, all types of medical scientists, etc.) regarding the choices for the Government between two possible pathways of return from COVID19, I decided to call QANTAS at 23:00 for flight cancellation and full refund (despite "essential travel" I will, on my return, still have to undergo the compulsory quarantine on arrival). To my biggest surprise, the QANTAS call centre answered within 5 minutes and the cancellation plus promise of refund back to my CC took less than one minute. She did tell me that the refund will take 8 to 10 weeks. My experience is that calls between 22:00 and midnight are relatively quickly answered. I still have 5 paid flights between July and December (DSP in February!) and I will have to see how the QANTAS flights develop in the next few months (unfortunately it's not looking that rosy!!).
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Posts
19,951
Hi, I'm new to this Forum (LTG/P). Just wanted to give my feedback regarding my today's voluntary cancellation of Yflex return CFS-SIN at the end of June 20. After reading through today's 200 pages (confidential) report of 124 leading Australian academics (economists, political scientists, all types of medical scientists, etc.) regarding the choices for the Government between two possible pathways of return from COVID19, I decided to call QANTAS at 23:00 for flight cancellation and full refund (despite "essential travel" I will, on my return, still have to undergo the compulsory quarantine on arrival).

If you mean Roadmap to Recovery by G08, it's hardly confidential...
 

Hillbilly64

Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2019
Posts
180
Did you cancel or QF. If QF just call and request a refund. Otherwise I understand you have to ring up to use and it is valid for any origin and destination it’s just the value and other rules.

I cancelled. Should have waited a week and they would have done it for me. Bugger.
 

craven morehead

Established Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Posts
2,117
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Requested 2 credit vouchers 23/03 ( rang at 21.00 they picked up call at 23.40 ) received email last night and vouchers now showing in MMB 30/04
 

Vic

Established Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2017
Posts
1,161
I'm also in the game of cancelation chicken for non refundable, high change fees flights in July. I'm wondering if any one else holding out earlier in the thread have changed their minds?
i'm kind of leaning towards taking the voucher, as I'll be able to travel domestically soon enough. I wouldn't really have a problem with flying to the USA in July, as can lock down with friends/family. Just it would be a bit of a waste.

Are others still holding out? as at the last deadline to take a voucher.
 

Mattg

Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Posts
12,376
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
I'm also in the game of cancelation chicken for non refundable, high change fees flights in July. I'm wondering if any one else holding out earlier in the thread have changed their minds?
i'm kind of leaning towards taking the voucher, as I'll be able to travel domestically soon enough. I wouldn't really have a problem with flying to the USA in July, as can lock down with friends/family. Just it would be a bit of a waste.

Are others still holding out? as at the last deadline to take a voucher.

I have a SIN-BNE (paid) flight booked in June and I haven't requested a voucher. The flight is still scheduled but there is about a 1% chance of the flight actually operating, so I'm waiting for Qantas to cancel the flight so I can request a refund.
 
Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

Vic

Established Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2017
Posts
1,161
I have a SIN-BNE (paid) flight booked in June and I haven't requested a voucher. The flight is still scheduled but there is about a 1% chance of the flight actually operating, so I'm waiting for Qantas to cancel the flight so I can request a refund.

I was hoping they would've announced an extension or something by now. I guess tomorrow they'll start to clean up things to make should the get the most number of voucher requests possible.
 

Pete98765432

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Posts
164
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I'm also in the game of cancelation chicken for non refundable, high change fees flights in July. I'm wondering if any one else holding out earlier in the thread have changed their minds?
i'm kind of leaning towards taking the voucher, as I'll be able to travel domestically soon enough. I wouldn't really have a problem with flying to the USA in July, as can lock down with friends/family. Just it would be a bit of a waste.

Are others still holding out? as at the last deadline to take a voucher.
I’m still holding out for a J flight to Paris via Singapore in June. I’m quite confident that it will be cancelled. I’m also hopeful that the 30 April date to request a voucher will be extended as it’s in QF’s interest to offer a voucher rather than give a refund for a cancellation.
 

Pete98765432

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Posts
164
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I was hoping they would've announced an extension or something by now. I guess tomorrow they'll start to clean up things to make should the get the most number of voucher requests possible.
I was hoping for that too. Guess they’re hoping we don’t want to risk it and opt for a voucher.
 

I love to travel

Established Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2016
Posts
1,939
Qantas
Platinum
I honestly don't think that waiting for a refund is worth it. Now three times I have played the game of pressing refund which then a few weeks later translates into a voucher. So for me you either charge back if Qantas operated the flight or accept the voucher.
 

HappyFlyerFamily

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Posts
5,334
I decide on a domestic red e-deal which has about 15% change fee to take the voucher. My itinerary was between capital cities which still operate (I think all capital city to capital city routes operate at least 5 time per week).

If my flight were international, I would continue to gamble because the formal travel ban is in place. Also all the musings indicate that international travel might be one of the last things to be restored.

it’s possible Qantas will not offer anything until middle of May when things become clearer with the next major National Cabinet decision on what fine tuning the lockdown (easing) will mean going forward.

I'm also in the game of cancelation chicken for non refundable, high change fees flights in July. I'm wondering if any one else holding out earlier in the thread have changed their minds?
i'm kind of leaning towards taking the voucher, as I'll be able to travel domestically soon enough. I wouldn't really have a problem with flying to the USA in July, as can lock down with friends/family. Just it would be a bit of a waste.

Are others still holding out? as at the last deadline to take a voucher.
 

Pete98765432

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Posts
164
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I’m still holding out for a J flight to Paris via Singapore in June. I’m quite confident that it will be cancelled. I’m also hopeful that the 30 April date to request a voucher will be extended as it’s in QF’s interest to offer a voucher rather than give a refund for a cancellation.
The gamble paid off. QF have extended the date to request a flight credit to 30 September 2020.
 

Pete98765432

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Posts
164
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
The gamble paid off. QF have extended the date to request a flight credit to 30 September 2020.
Seems I may have spoken too soon. While the date has been extended, the conditions now include:
  • When you’re ready to rebook, you’ll need to cover any change fee and any fare increase in your new booking.
So now I'll wait for a cancellation right up until the departure date before requesting a voucher as they're not waiving the change fee.
 

HappyFlyerFamily

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2020
Posts
5,334
Seems I may have spoken too soon. While the date has been extended, the conditions now include:
  • When you’re ready to rebook, you’ll need to cover any change fee and any fare increase in your new booking.
So now I'll wait for a cancellation right up until the departure date before requesting a voucher as they're not waiving the change fee.
That’s a bit rough for those with domestic flights in July-September who didn’t have a chance to get a free change.

As the schedule is limited hopefully those are able to argue the new schedule is not a reasonable alternative for their domestic flights to get a full refund.

International would seem to be ok (maybe a miniscule risk for those with flights on routes that are still open).
 

maroonone

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Posts
162
So the only difference from normal seems to be the extended validity with change fees now being applied. I think I will wait for the inevitable BNE -ZQN cancellation in July.
 

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Top