Qantas reduces Emirates carrier charges | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas reduces Emirates carrier charges

Gold Member

Established Member

Ben reporting a huge decrease in EK award carrier charges. Has anyone been able to confirm Qantas is passing on the reduction in charges or are they greedily pocketing every cent?

Mattg

Flights
My Map
It seems to be true, and Qantas seems to be passing on the lower Emirates carrier charges.

There are some examples of previous Emirates carrier surcharges as of October 2019 here: List of Emirates Carrier Charges

Comparing those amounts with what is showing now on a couple of different routes:
  • SYD-DXB in Y: Was $148.40, now $76.50
  • SYD-DXB in F: Was $370.90, now $229.50
  • DPS-DXB in F: Was $666, now $115

eminere

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
SYD-Europe is still very expensive though with a copay of ~$900+ in F. There is some savings as I recall this used to be around the ~$1.3k mark. CX is still the most affordable.

Gold Member

Established Member
It seems to be true, and Qantas seems to be passing on the lower Emirates carrier charges.

There are some examples of previous Emirates carrier surcharges as of October 2019 here: List of Emirates Carrier Charges

Comparing those amounts with what is showing now on a couple of different routes:
  • SYD-DXB in Y: Was $148.40, now $76.50
  • SYD-DXB in F: Was $370.90, now $229.50
  • DPS-DXB in F: Was $666, now $115
If you have the time, it might be an opportunity to republish or update the excellent article you wrote in October last year, Matt 😉 I realize you’ve just quickly plucked out three examples, but the DPS-DXB reduction is HUGE and I’m sure the community would be very keen to see by how much and where else the charges have changed.

Depening on the new surcharges, I may actually end up using my QF points on EK metal. That’s something I haven’t considered for years given their horrendous ‘How much can we get away with’ carrier surcharge.

Mattg

Flights
My Map
If you have the time, it might be an opportunity to republish or update the excellent article you wrote in October last year, Matt 😉 I realize you’ve just quickly plucked out three examples, but the DPS-DXB reduction is HUGE and I’m sure the community would be very keen to see by how much and where else the charges have changed.

Depening on the new surcharges, I may actually end up using my QF points on EK metal. That’s something I haven’t considered for years given their horrendous ‘How much can we get away with’ carrier surcharge.
I do plan to get to that in the next couple of days ;)

BD1959

Established Member
SYD-Europe is still very expensive though with a copay of ~$900+ in F. There is some savings as I recall this used to be around the ~$1.3k mark. CX is still the most affordable.
But CX don't offer SYD-Europe in F (or at least not ex AU) - or do you mean generally their charges cheaper?

Regards,

BD

eminere

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
But CX don't offer SYD-Europe in F (or at least not ex AU) - or do you mean generally their charges cheaper?

Regards,

BD
CX's charges are cheaper - well, they're zero now. You can fly J AU-HKG and then onwards to some European destinations in F. Personally, I'd choose the $$$ savings and fly CX over EK.

Danger

Wonderful news.

The thread title could use a bit of work, though. It reads as though Emirates Skywards members will now pay less taxes when using their miles to book QF awards.

Gold Member

Established Member
The thread title could use a bit of work, though. It reads as though Emirates Skywards members will now pay less taxes when using their miles to book QF awards.
I spent hours devising that title thread... What would you like me to change it to Danger?

Pom-DownUnder

Intern
is it just me or are EK flights thin on the ground for next year? barely seeing any, from LHR / NCL / AMS or CDG, the ones that are there are only showing Y of F

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Wonderful news.

I guess it's in the Qantas forum.

Mattg

Flights
My Map
is it just me or are EK flights thin on the ground for next year? barely seeing any, from LHR / NCL / AMS or CDG, the ones that are there are only showing Y of F
It's not just you. There's particularly very little availability in J (it's just not being released on many routes). I think it's a systematic issue, rather than those seats all getting snapped up quickly. I suspect this will change once flights ramp back up.

Pom-DownUnder

Intern
It's not just you. There's particularly very little availability in J (it's just not being released on many routes). I think it's a systematic issue, rather than those seats all getting snapped up quickly. I suspect this will change once flights ramp back up.
yea, realllllly weird, seems like qatar are doing similar, lots of Y only on routes even with 3 flights a day on that route, strange goings on

Pom-DownUnder

Intern
Qatar's J & F yields must be extraordinarily high right now. Why compromise that by releasing award availability? ;)
I dunno about that they seems really cheap for cash money, sin to cdg bought on qatar website in J is like $2,400

Gold Member

Established Member
I can't seem to change the title thread... at least that I can work out. Is it an admin privilege after a certain time trigger from original post?

support

Established Member
Administrator
I can't seem to change the title thread... at least that I can work out. Is it an admin privilege after a certain time trigger from original post?
As this thread is about Qantas passing on the reduced EK charges, I have amended the title accordingly.

And yes, titles can only be changed by a moderator or above.

Danger

As this thread is about Qantas passing on the reduced EK charges, I have amended the title accordingly.

And yes, titles can only be changed by a moderator or above.
Well, not to labour the point, but with "Qantas follows suit", the heading now reads as though 'Emirates reduces carrier charges on rewards and Qantas reduces carrier charges on rewards'.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackmia