Qantas outperform?? Share price at $1.21

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by cove, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. cove

cove Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2008
    Perth
    Today Macquarie Private Wealth has QAN shares as outperform and everyone has been way to bearish on their prospects as cost cutting continues.
    They may be correct. What do you think??

2. moa999

moa999 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I suspect some short term increases.
    My buying 12mths ago below $1 is looking good again.

Internationally the pull back by both SQ and QF on Aus-Sin routes is good for them
    Domestically I expect both QF and VA to behave more rationally - already seeing it in the base fares, which is also good for profitability.

That said
    Long-term however I still think QF is going to struggle within Asia as AirAsia increases its reach and the Chinese airlines continue to improve - QF just cannot compete on cost base within Asia.
    I think it will still be OK on the Kangaroo and US routes.

So Im not going to be too greedy

3. cove

cove Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2008
    Perth
    Greed has been one of my failings that I have spent years trying to overcome.

4. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    But my selling out at over $4 years ago looks better :D

QF's high cost base compared to Asian & ME competitors will make it hard. Australia's direct labour & the very high on costs for labour will never be overcome. And being at the end of line with the Middle East carriers centrally placed limits markets/customers. 6 ~ 9 hours flying from DXB DOH encircles large population - market

5. Sprucegoose

Sprucegoose Senior Member

Aug 20, 2003
    SE Aust
    Never invest in airlines or construction companies Cove.

6. Sprucegoose

Sprucegoose Senior Member

Aug 20, 2003
    SE Aust
    I go to a good support group these days. We meet at high end ski resorts around the world to discuss progress....