Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas loss predicted to now exceed $1B

Status
Not open for further replies.

markis10

Veteran Member
Following a $250 million loss in the first half of the year the current analyst consensus is for a loss of around $700 million on an underlying basis. On top of this they are expecting about $200 million-$400 million of one-off losses - most accounted for by the cost of making 2200 jobs redundant by June 30, 2014. This would boost the airline's statutory loss to more than $1 billion. Some analysts have this number as high as $1.2 billion.
But over the past week the chatter that additional write-downs will be made - particularly on aircraft - has led to a view that even $1 billion could be well shy of the year-end underlying loss and that $1.5 billion could be closer to the mark. Qantas wouldn't be drawn on the speculation.

Read more: Qantas loss could break billion barrier

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
As things stand at present, it is difficult to see either major airline group (QF or VA) ever making a profit again.

That may seem unduly pessimistic, but more and more air travel is regarded as a (discretionary) commodity by the great bulk of patrons, so the airlines' once substantial pricing power has slipped at least a little.

Time will of course tell, but in QF's case depreciation of its older aircraft must be extracting a heavy financial toll, even if it's a 'npn cash' item if I recall in the beancounters' lexicon.

amaroo

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum 1
Threads like this make be :D that over the past few months I've reduced my exposure by around 1.8M QFFP.

cmon0005

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Obviously I'm not an expert, but I highly doubt the number will be above 1bil.
For a couple reasons (again I'm no expert so please don't flame me):
1.) If it was likely known within the company that the loss would potentially be that high, surely by now they would have to provide guidance to the market?
2.) Other than fuel (and other one-off expenses related to restructure) what could possibly drive up the losses so much? after all they've cut many routes, cut staff, simplified (tm) FF offerings.etc.

markis10

Veteran Member
Obviously I'm not an expert, but I highly doubt the number will be above 1bil.
For a couple reasons (again I'm no expert so please don't flame me):
1.) If it was likely known within the company that the loss would potentially be that high, surely by now they would have to provide guidance to the market?
2.) Other than fuel (and other one-off expenses related to restructure) what could possibly drive up the losses so much? after all they've cut many routes, cut staff, simplified (tm) FF offerings.etc.

I think we will know soon, as for guidance needing to be provided I believe the rules have a lot of play in them.

JohnK

Veteran Member

Making senior management positions redundant?

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Ari Gold

How much of the anticipated loss can be attributed to FAILED JQ ventures in <Insert country name here>!

whatmeworry

So is Qantas broke or ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider35