Qantas J vs Jet* * class

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by grey goose, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. grey goose

grey goose Junior Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Could someone please explain to me why the cost in Frequent flyer points is the same for a Qantas J class seat and a Jetstar Star class seat even though the difference in the cash price is more then double or triple the amount more for J class.

Seems a little absurd to receive such a low FF to $ redemption rate, or does the extra availability of star class make this 'worthwhile'?

It makes sense to accumulate FF points in starclass because of the Business class rate of accumulation for a much lower price but seems ridiculous to expect the reverse to also be true.

Seems to definitely be a raw end of the deal here.

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Agreed, but then I find that generally Qantas FF award flight bookings are an inefficient way, in $ value terms, of using QFF points - with the possible exception of QFF oneworld awards.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Because they can.

You earn at the business class rate and you burn at the business class rate.

4. grey goose

grey goose Junior Member

Jun 18, 2007

Ohh okay, i suspected that but i thought there might be a reason that made sense .

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    QF have a 20% discount on FF points required for most, if not all, current JQ *class routes. This has been in place since 15 November 2006 and has been extended until 31 August 2007. It would not surprise me if this discount continues indefinitely.