Qantas in-flight news service | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas in-flight news service

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
939
Flying down from Brisbane to Sydney this afternoon on QF529 I was watching the inflight news service that's put together by Channel 9 and it's clearly evident that the content is edited in respect to any adverse matters relating to aviation.

Given that the lead story all morning on Channel 9 was about the Blackhawk accident off Fiji, there wasn't a single mention of this event on the Channel 9 inflight news service despite the fact that the news service did include a piece on the on-going events in FIji itself.

I found the omission of this story quite bizzare.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,735
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
cssaus said:
Flying down from Brisbane to Sydney this afternoon on QF529 I was watching the inflight news service that's put together by Channel 9 and it's clearly evident that the content is edited in respect to any adverse matters relating to aviation.

Given that the lead story all morning on Channel 9 was about the Blackhawk accident off Fiji, there wasn't a single mention of this event on the Channel 9 inflight news service despite the fact that the news service did include a piece on the on-going events in FIji itself.

I found the omission of this story quite bizzare.
I agree entirely, however we can't have the great unwashed scared off by a taste of reality. -- can we :oops:

It might actually put some truth back into the news :!: I mean we can't have the news actually incorporating real life situations. ... there I go, the cynic coming out in me again.
 

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,130
The trouble is that if QF were to show a news-story about any aviation related incident, you'd have some delicate little creampuff claiming to be 'traumatised' by the footage, and running to either some sleazy newspaper (Sydney's 'Daily Telegraph' comes to mind), or a sleazy lawyer, shaking like a leaf and claiming to be too terrified to ever get on an aircraft again.

It could blow-out into an unpleasant PR hit, so why not just avoid getting into the situation in the first place?
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Flights
My Map
Then what is poor little Virgin Blue getting themselves into with their "Live2Air"? Where they show Foxtel live without editing?

Qantas should show the news. Not just dummed down content for the lowest common denominator.
 

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,130
Mal said:
Then what is poor little Virgin Blue getting themselves into with their "Live2Air"? Where they show Foxtel live without editing?
Perhaps the news channels will be myteriously 'unavailable' if the bulletins feature any aircraft accidents?

And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see "Air Crash Investigation" on Nat Geo, either! Or even "Lost". Although I can't imagine that anyone would be interested in watching the latter in any case.
 
Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Flights
My Map
NYCguy said:
Perhaps the news channels will be myteriously 'unavailable' if the bulletins feature any aircraft accidents?

And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see "Air Crash Investigation" on Nat Geo, either! Or even "Lost". Although I can't imagine that anyone would be interested in watching the latter in any case.
My understanding is that there is no editing with Live2Air. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. If ACI was to be screened on Foxel on one of the channels that are available, then the pax could watch it if they so desired.

Same with critical news articles or articles extolling the virtues of Qantas.

There is some further information here in the Virgin Blue forum about the channels available.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,283
Messages
2,078,463
Members
53,683
Latest member
pallavi96
Top