Qantas Gold - 4.5 months | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas Gold - 4.5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhorse

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
16
Made it to gold yesterday flying MEL - PER. 700 SC's all in 20's, 15's & 10's.

Want to go for platinum - but a little jittery after the 700 which has meant a lot of flights

Great forum this - with great suggestions and tips from all FF
 

bfmi

Intern
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
55
I had a similar travel pattern a couple of years ago always getting QF Gold but a real stretch to achieve Plat.

Try and do an Explore Asia Biz class and you'll find it much so much easier to achieve.

It's to reward frequent travel and also spend good revenue gets platinum. So this mean you need to spend something better than Y or discount to get top tier.
 

jskogsta

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
38
bfmi said:
I had a similar travel pattern a couple of years ago always getting QF Gold but a real stretch to achieve Plat.

Try and do an Explore Asia Biz class and you'll find it much so much easier to achieve.

It's to reward frequent travel and also spend good revenue gets platinum. So this mean you need to spend something better than Y or discount to get top tier.
So true. Only problem for me that is .. is that economy is what they (the org!) accepts unless you have a seriously good reason not to. I wish I had some medical requirements.. oh well .. will just have to endure I guess. Though platinum seems achievable .. we'll see. Though gold lounge access is way better than nothing anyways..

Have good weekend!

/Jorgen
 

jskogsta

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
38
blackhorse said:
Made it to gold yesterday flying MEL - PER. 700 SC's all in 20's, 15's & 10's.

Want to go for platinum - but a little jittery after the 700 which has meant a lot of flights

Great forum this - with great suggestions and tips from all FF
Oh, just saw that I forgot to say congrats on gold! :)

Beat me to it by one month! Argh! :) Let's race for platinum. :)

/Jorgen
 

blackhorse

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
16
Thanks :D

Mostly resigned to domestic travel this year, which means mostly discount economy , therefore does not look like a "race" to platinum. :shock:

All the best for your international trips - J class should make it long flying easier :) .
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Congrats on reaching Gold. :D

I am embarassed to say that I will requalify for gold with just two SYD-SIN trips, one if F and the other in J. :oops: Although I guess in terms of dollars earned, QF have got their money's worth from me. :)
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
Congrats on reaching Gold. :D

I am embarassed to say that I will requalify for gold with just two SYD-SIN trips, one if F and the other in J. :oops: Although I guess in terms of dollars earned, QF have got their money's worth from me. :)
I will qualify for gold this year with two less trips than that. But again in terms of revenue, I represent a significant spend over the past 15 years or so.

Earning Gold based on discount economy domestic travel is a tough achievement, and making it to Platinum the same way is major nightmare. Its a great relief when you finally achieve your goals, and its communities like this that help us to get there.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,278
NM said:
I will qualify for gold this year with two less trips than that. But again in terms of revenue, I represent a significant spend over the past 15 years or so.
Don't sell yourself short.

I think you will get a letter from QF extending your w@nker status for at least another year. :)
 

jasonja3

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
368
NM said:
Earning Gold based on discount economy domestic travel is a tough achievement, and making it to Platinum the same way is major nightmare. Its a great relief when you finally achieve your goals, and its communities like this that help us to get there.
Yes indeed NM, I like many others have benefited from the knowledge imparted by yourself and other well informed travellers. I will earn WP status in one week, something I never thought possible. :p

JJ
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
jasonja3 said:
Yes indeed NM, I like many others have benefited from the knowledge imparted by yourself and other well informed travellers. I will earn WP status in one week, something I never thought possible. :p
An early congratulations is in order. Onward to Lifetime Gold then 8) . I thought Lifetime Gold was a distant dream. The last year I added well over 3000 SCs in 4 months.
 

blackhorse

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
16
NM said:
Earning Gold based on discount economy domestic travel is a tough achievement, and making it to Platinum the same way is major nightmare. Its a great relief when you finally achieve your goals, and its communities like this that help us to get there.
The community is surely a help..Browsing through the posts and forum here looks like a status run in business or full economy is the option to go in terms of reaching platinum.
 

blackhorse

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
16
tanewi said:
mmmm I went from zero to gold in a week!
Congratulations :!: I guess it is a remarkable achievement. Did u fly first class on a longhaul ?
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,786
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
tanewi said:
mmmm I went from zero to gold in a week!
I'll trump that :) . I have done zero SCs to renewing Platinum in 60 hours
Dave
Holy WP Card Batman. This would surely be close to being as fast as it is actually possible to do it. Never worked out what the theroetical fastest time would be, but wouldn't think much less than this
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Its possible to achieve Platinum in about 14 hours in economy! AA Platinum, that is (equiv to QF gold). Just a single one-way BNE-LAX on a B economy fare will do it.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
oz_mark said:
Holy WP Card Batman. This would surely be close to being as fast as it is actually possible to do it. Never worked out what the theroetical fastest time would be, but wouldn't think much less than this
It would have been hard to knock much off of it

LHR-SIN-SYD, departing at Noon on friday arriving into Oz at 19:30 on Saturday ( times approx ) and connect to MEL arriving around 22:00.

Depart MEL at 15:30ish on sunday arriving into LHR at around 05:00 on Monday. Hmm... Actually about 65 hours, I musta miscounted earlier

Travelling on the old points system, First class, gave , iirc, 240 + 150 +30 +150 + 240 = 810 base SCs. I had , the morning before leaving, received a promo email offering me double miles and double SCs , so I earned 1620 SCs and (10,500base + 10,500 status + 5250 COS )*2 for round trip *2 for double miles promo = approx 105,000 miles earned

Think it will be hard to beat this timing from Zero Scs to Plat . The icing on the cake was that my year starts in January, this flight was my 1st for the year on around the 6th January...absolutely perfect

Dave
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
I requalified on SQ once in something like 44 hours (and on the 1st-3rd days of my membership period).
 

jskogsta

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
38
NM said:
Its possible to achieve Platinum in about 14 hours in economy! AA Platinum, that is (equiv to QF gold). Just a single one-way BNE-LAX on a B economy fare will do it.
Heh. I just flew MEL - LAX on B and it's just like a crappy 40 SC. Pretty bad, I say...

.. and even so AA from LAX - AID which only gives 20 SC in B. :(

Should have gone the other way! :) Would have at least made a few more SC's and bought some charms at LHR. :) (For my daughter! :)

/Jorgen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,530
Messages
1,911,835
Members
50,301
Latest member
Pidge
Top