Qantas follows Virgin’s business lead!

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by d15.in.oz, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    For some time, Virgin Blue passengers travelling in Economy on “Corporate Plus” fares have enjoyed complimentary access to DJ’s new “The Lounge”… Finally Qantas (in a lack of publicity fan fare) has followed suit! (But only for domestic QF Business Class passengers.)

Flying with Us - Business Traveller

2. It's about time! I have always thought that it's outrageous that one can pay more than $3K for a SYD/PER/SYD return in J (that fare being a good whack of the fee for a life-membership of the QP), and not be entitled to use the QP unless one was a member of the club.

3. scibo10

scibo10 Member

Jan 19, 2005
    OOL
    I wonder if this is limited to only paid business flights, or if the access is also open to upgrades from economy?

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Interesting - I remember getting no access to the lounge a long time ago on a J Syd-PER-SYD flight.

Its an interesting situation - in the US lounge access is limited only to club members (for AA at least). I wonder how many people this will affect - I can't imagine that there are a lot of people flying domestic business class who don't have QF SG status or equivalent.

S

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Good move from Qantas. Firstly it helps cut down on confusion, and secondly, it's only going to add a few passengers (if any) to the Qantas Club's. Most J pax would have access through other means.

6. tuapekastar

tuapekastar Established Member

Mar 16, 2005
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The way it's worded I imagine paid, upgraded, or straight-out award redemption would all get access.

7. SeatBackForward

SeatBackForward Established Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    More of you Business class Riff-Raff!
    ;)

8. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Yep From a chat to a BNE QP staffer either Revenue tkts or FFP including upgrades...improves the value to non QP members of using points to to Upgrade to Jay

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    LOL. As mentioned earlier I can't imagine too many people flying QF domestic business class without QF Gold status or above!

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Happens early on in one FF membership.

When AN went belly up I worked with some guys who's company wouldn't anti up for a QP membership; but would for J fares.

They used various international afternoon/evening flights betwixt MEL & SYD extensively, to get lounge access & to prove a point. This was on flights like QF21 dep MEL 7:45pm that flew MEL-SYD-NRT and QF15 dep SYD ~5pm SYD-MEL-BKK-FCO (IIRC).

Needless to say that after a few months of this lounge access was no longer a problem for them.