Qantas Club Shockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
I always found with my analogue phone that the signal could be great for 1 min and then shocking the next. I have bad reception at home with my GSM phone so if I have business calls I can usually be seen pacing around the garden.
 

Expon

Intern
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
67
Points
0
I must admit I pace when talking on my phone too. Usually on the cordless at home. I think its because when I talk for more than 2 mins its to my mother or sister, perhaps its anxioiusness to get off the phone :D
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
oz_mark said:
I have never quite got what the pacing up and down bit while talking with on a mobile phone was all about.
Just a bad habit, I think. When I used to smoke cigarettes outdoors I would pace up and down. No real need for it, the pacing and the cigarette, just happened.
 

superchris

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
136
Points
0
Re: Qantas Club Shockers in Business Centre

Is it me or just a symptom of the QC getting overcrowded at key times?

I was in SYD Dom last week and wanted to use a computer to quickly check email. It was no great deal if I missed out but I walked around a few times and saw the following:


  1. a guy looking at coughography
  2. Kids playing games
  3. two people playing solitaire
  4. one guy doing online casino gambling
Sure the computers are there for all to use but my comment is really directed at Business Centre staff to ensure that business activities rather than "recreation" occurs at peak times:shock: :shock:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Re: Qantas Club Shockers in Business Centre

superchris said:
Is it me or just a symptom of the QC getting overcrowded at key times?

I was in SYD Dom last week and wanted to use a computer to quickly check email. It was no great deal if I missed out but I walked around a few times and saw the following:


  1. a guy looking at coughography
  2. Kids playing games
  3. two people playing solitaire
  4. one guy doing online casino gambling
Sure the computers are there for all to use but my comment is really directed at Business Centre staff to ensure that business activities rather than "recreation" occurs at peak times:shock: :shock:

The computers are provided for all members, some may want to do business stuff but many use them for recreational purposes. All have equal right ot use them surely

Dave
 

Ari Gold

Active Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
910
Points
305
Kids should be forced to vacate any computer immediately in the event of an adult looking to use a workstation.

Luckily for me I've normally got my laptop handy.

My 2c (+ Fuel Fines)
 

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,130
Points
10
Re: Qantas Club Shockers in Business Centre

superchris said:
... [A] guy looking at coughography

Eww! I presume he wasn't doing what usually accompanies the viewing of said internet content? I also presume that if you saw what he was browsing, it was also possible for any minors walking by to see it too?

Surely looking at cough would violate some sort of QC code-of-conduct item?
 

Ari Gold

Active Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
910
Points
305
Would be interesting to see what (if any) monitoring is active on the Business Centre PCs.

Should users require authentication (i.e. FF or Booking Ref. #) to access the facilities?
 

superchris

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
136
Points
0
Re: Qantas Club Shockers in Business Centre

Dave Noble said:
The computers are provided for all members, some may want to do business stuff but many use them for recreational purposes. All have equal right ot use them surely

Dave

Hi Dave,
No arguments with you on everyone's right to equally use the computers but there appears to be no policing done/guidelines enforced when it is busy:)
My other observation was seeing a group of workers in the QC Club wearing safety fluro tops embossed with their Company logo....ohh how things have changed since the days of Golden Wings:D
 

wiz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
140
Points
155
Commuter said:
As disappointing as it was that staff did not address the problem, I don't blame the Qantas Club staff for this - I blame the parents who are unable to control their children yet bring them into Qantas Club. Also as for those rude people - well I blame their parents too for not equipping them with half decent manners to apologise for bumping into people or to know not to jump the queue.
You're right in that this (rudeness) is becoming a more prevalent issue, especially in Australia, these days. For a country that prides itself on its laid back and easy going nature, we actually leave a lot to be desired when it comes to common courtesy. Sorry if this is off topic, but it's almost an expectation these days when some people walk past you (eg; while you're standing in queue), expecting you to just move without saying excuse me... Or jumping into a check-out lane that has just opened without asking people in front of them if they would care to join that queue first. No wonder there are kids running rampant in QP!

I imagine a few people would disagree with me, but after visiting many different places around the world, I'm afraid this is one area about my country that I'm not proud of... I mean, we often consider the Yanks to be arrogant and loud, but (other problems aside) they're some of the most generally polite people I often meet!
 

Danger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
6,728
Solutions
2
Points
1,000
wiz said:
You're right in that this (rudeness) is becoming a more prevalent issue, especially in Australia, these days. For a country that prides itself on its laid back and easy going nature, we actually leave a lot to be desired when it comes to common courtesy. Sorry if this is off topic, but it's almost an expectation these days when some people walk past you (eg; while you're standing in queue), expecting you to just move without saying excuse me... Or jumping into a check-out lane that has just opened without asking people in front of them if they would care to join that queue first. No wonder there are kids running rampant in QP!

I imagine a few people would disagree with me, but after visiting many different places around the world, I'm afraid this is one area about my country that I'm not proud of... I mean, we often consider the Yanks to be arrogant and loud, but (other problems aside) they're some of the most generally polite people I often meet!

Here, here.
 

moa999

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
11,883
Solutions
1
Points
1,200
Re: Qantas Club Shockers in Business Centre

NYCguy said:
Some sort of QC code-of-conduct item?

While I haven't seen it in the QC, best I have seen was on my DONE4 LHR-SFO on the part of the flight where most are sleeping pulls out is laptop and watches a full screen very graphic movie. Sitting across the aisle and a row or two back I had full view.

Just passed it off as the time, but if there were kids in the cabin would have made a fuss with the staff
 

Ari Gold

Active Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
910
Points
305
Re: Qantas Club Shockers in Business Centre

aubs said:
pulls out is laptop and watches a full screen very graphic movie. Sitting across the aisle and a row or two back I had full view.

Wasn't a documentary on the Lisa Robertson/Ralph Fiennes incident was it? :mrgreen:
 

wallacej

Active Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
802
Points
10
trippin_the_rift said:
....
Call Qantas and demand a pro-rated refund of your membership and join the Virgin crew. I'm sure there's no kids running around screaming there.

Will they do this? Has anyone tried?
 

wallacej

Active Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
802
Points
10
Dave Noble said:
I disagree. Unless someone complains about the behaviour, then it is unlikely that the QC staff are likely to do much about it unless it is extremely bad

If no complaint is made about the behaviour , then it is not , imo, reasonable for the staff to be expected to do too much about it

Dave

I have in the past approached the parents, politely of course... it has worked, they have been (unintentionally) embarassed.

 

wallacej

Active Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
802
Points
10
Yada Yada said:
Seriously? :confused: I have never had a problem with the service on Virgin Blue. It is always light years ahead of QF.

If you fly between the east coast capitals, try Virgin Blue's Lounge. I have not yet seen a child in any of them, there is plenty of space, free internet access, good food, very friendly staff.

agree agreee agree... I have seen kids, but they have been entertained with the pool table and/or the big screen.
 

wallacej

Active Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
802
Points
10
SF& said:
Why don't they put in 20 ps2 or 20 xbox's for the tin lids and a kids room like they have overseas, where they can draw or read or basically romp around a bit. Star Alliance lounges has it, I think they should implement it here, save all the hassle's the kids will be happy the parents will be happy and the business ppl will be happy

Someone mentioned that cost would be the reason not to have these... well they could put up some more advertising signs as a contra deal with Sony/xbox etc....

They have enough other advertising going on in that place now, whats wrong with one more sign...

Has anyone else noticed the amount of advertising???? Just look around next time you are in there..
 

Keith009

Established Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,598
Points
540
Very peaceful SYD dom QP here on an early Sunday morning. Apart from gospel readings and Christian rock blaring out from the huge plasma screen next to me...
 
Using the S26 Wi-Fi Smart Plug you can easily convert your existing appliances into smart devices to be controlled remotely with your phone.

Takes just minutes to setup!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,130
Points
10
QF009 said:
Very peaceful SYD dom QP here on an early Sunday morning. Apart from gospel readings and Christian rock blaring out from the huge plasma screen next to me...
I'd rather have screaming kids, thanks. Or cougho.
 
Last edited:

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,547
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
SYD FLounge was very pleasant on Sat morning. The Eggs Benedict and fruit salad was excellent as was the attentive service. No wonder I skipped the meal service on the flight. No rowdy kids in the FLounge that morning. Though I shared the Zone B section of the J cabin with a family with 3 very young children. No problems at all - they were well behaved and the babe-in-arms only cried once.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top