Qantas cash. Never again.

Does Qantas Cash warrant PineappleSkip's award of 'never again'?

• Yes.

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PineappleSkip

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Hi all

Well, I loaded some money into my Qantas cash account to take advantage of the recent 'load and get points' promotion at around the same time they reduced the poverty of their FX rates.

Misery followed as the rotten Qc card told vendors' POS machines the PIN I used was the wrong one. It was of course the right one, which I had used in previous years on a previous QC card and not changed, and which I used to access my account. My money was stuck, and the account got locked after I continued to try the right PIN That sucked. I rang QC and they suggested taking money out of an ATM. I did what they said. It didn't work, and my PIN got locked again. I got a few token points from using the card for token sums which didn't require a PIN.

This is consistent with previous experience. The first time I tried QC I had similar issues with mismatched PINs. The second time I went overseas it worked. So I have a strike rate of 33% on being able to use this rotten product to extract money.

Naturally after the last debacle -- even with the sh!te exchange rates, it is not inspiring having a travel money card that fails on the basics; being usable as travel money -- I resolved to never again go near this coughamamie product. Mrs Pineapple desired travelling to do an overseas course payable in £££ and I thought I could use the last of the rotten QC pounds to pay her course fee on the course provider's website. Of course this pathetic card wouldn't work online.

But wait, there's more. The people who purvey this rotten piece of bilge got to twist the knife. My points for loading never arrived. You will recall, friends, that the fine print of the offer said 'register then load a minimum of AU$2,500 equivalent directly in foreign currency in one transaction to earn 1 bonus Qantas Point per AU$1 loaded'. So I duly loaded about $4,000 worth, spilt between Euro and £££, got my receipt for my load, and settled with a bank transfer. After about an eon I wrote off asking what had happened, and a reply arrived in only five weeks, to the effect that a single load, split between two currencies, was TWO transactions. In other words, what they really meant was 'load a minimum of AU$2,500 equivalent directly in [ONE] foreign currency in one transaction'.

Now, my question. This sort of tricksy interpretation of the fine print is the sort of thing that rings the misleading/deceptive conduct bells in my head and inclines me to debrief my local fair trading people. However my only evidence of one transaction a receipt referring to one load, and a bank statement showing one debit to pay for the currencies. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or claims and whether they were able to convince the Qc-mongers to recant from their trickery.

Also, you may have suspected that I would like to like to join the League of Qc-haters. Is there a t-shirt? Annual meeting? Membership fee?

Cheers skip

I once had a load problem where I did two loads at the same time into two different currencies and it got them reversed. I called them up to what was then (is it still?) a UK call centre and have them hell until they fixed it. To their credit, they did, and I received the correct points. However, it highlighted their crummy IT system.

Since being accepted for a CC I’ve not looked back, but I do appreciate them for the points I earned in the time period I couldn’t obtain a CC.

When I looked into Qantas Cash I couldn't justify all of the fees and unfair terms. So I have never wasted my time with it. But I can fully understand the OP's concerns.

QC is literally a marketing product, there's no intrinsic value to it.

If you've got a CC to give you better fraud protection and have two payment sources (Rather than using your primary bank account card overseas and worrying about fraud) then I don't see any value in it at all.

I used the Qantas cash card on a recent overseas trip. I received 2 e-mails about loading money and getting bonus points. I thought I complied with the conditions but only 1 lot of 4000 bonus points have been received.

I called today and was told that I hadn't loaded enough funds to qualify for the second load but I am normally very careful about reading those type of e-mails. Unfortunately I cant find the email when I registered to check. Does anybody by chance still have an e-mail in September for the bonus points and if so let me know the amounts to be loaded that attract the bonus points?

I used the Qantas cash card on a recent overseas trip. I received 2 e-mails about loading money and getting bonus points. I thought I complied with the conditions but only 1 lot of 4000 bonus points have been received.

I called today and was told that I hadn't loaded enough funds to qualify for the second load but I am normally very careful about reading those type of e-mails. Unfortunately I cant find the email when I registered to check. Does anybody by chance still have an e-mail in September for the bonus points and if so let me know the amounts to be loaded that attract the bonus points?
I think you will find that most people here will not use this pathetically awful excuse for a cash card. I no longer even get, or maybe just ignore, their emails.

I know the rates are not that great...used it on one trip some Euro and AED...paid for hotels no problems.
Still have some change left on it for next time...I hope!!

Still have some change left on it for next time...I hope!!

And that's what they rely on too - lazy money which they have the use of, but they don't pay you anything for. For goodness sake, go to an ATM, get your money off the card, then cut it up.

I plan to use it up next time...I get your point but.
No different than Toll tags and prepaid Train Go cards etc, you leave a few bucks on it for next time.
But in the meantime you dont have the money.

Hi

Below are two screen caps of the offer and fine print from the email I received in September. Hope this helps.
Qantas Cash promo 1.JPG Qantas Cash promo 2.JPG

I have used it for one trip to the UK and claimed my bonus points for loading.

Locked in the exchange rate and used it successfully for a few dinner charged in £. Also withdrew currency from a local Fee Free ATM but still was charged £5 or similar for usage (fortunately I withdrew as much as I could).

Generally unimpressed with it and probably won't use it again as (plus I find their call centre team unhelpful).

Seriously, you need to read some of the other threads on overseas cash. Use citibank plus savings account for ATM card and the 28 degrees, BW plat cards, Coles MC, CBA diamond, (and some ANZ product too? explorer?) for fee free overseas transactions that may also get you points on top!
No idea why people would use this pathetic card unless they can't get a CC. The fees are ridiculous and the fx commisions usurious.

Seriously, you need to read some of the other threads on overseas cash. Use citibank plus savings account for ATM card and the 28 degrees, BW plat cards, Coles MC, CBA diamond, (and some ANZ product too? explorer?) for fee free overseas transactions that may also get you points on top!
No idea why people would use this pathetic card unless they can't get a CC. The fees are ridiculous and the fx commisions usurious.

In all honesty, I had to look up usurious.....learn something everyday:)

Aside, totally agree. I used it once a few years ago, only for a few hundred $ whilst O/S, reading statements after I got home and comparing. I estimated I was about 3% worse off than using my regular debit visa. luckily I'm only talking $10 total approx, but never again!

I loaded some USD in July during a bonus promo that i don't think i got the points for. I need to call them about thus today.

I have generally not had issue's using the card. I haven't really paid any fees as i just use it to pay for things and get cash separately before i go. So ATM fees aren't an issue.

I loaded some USD in July during a bonus promo that i don't think i got the points for. I need to call them about thus today.

I have generally not had issue's using the card. I haven't really paid any fees as i just use it to pay for things and get cash separately before i go. So ATM fees aren't an issue.

You have paid 'fees' even if you don't realise it. At the very least it's cost you more than you think through the very poor exchange rates offered.

I'm wondering who the 26% of people are who disagreed with Pineappleskip and why. Based on comments already posted I can't see any reasons so far that would justify using this product and there are much easier ways it seems to grab a few bonus points.

In my case, a small amount of cash, a Citibank Plus debit card and a couple of different credit cards has served me well in the past.

I'm wondering who the 26% of people are who disagreed with Pineappleskip and why. Based on comments already posted I can't see any reasons so far that would justify using this product

Some people are:

1) Lazy and like the convenience of this type of product.

2) Ill informed about the poor exchange rates and/or high fees

3) Unaware of other products

4) Not willing to carry cash.

Yep, Ralph is right. Unless you are talking about only using the card in Australia, then you've paid plenty of fees, up to around 6% of your total transaction volume, ever. It's all in the currency spread which is worse than credit cards. You are getting rorted. Also, you are getting rorted on the cash too, if you buy it in Au. Look up the citi plus for cash from ATMs and the 28 degrees, Coles MC, Bankwest Zero, CBA Diamond cards for 0 commission cards. (various fees from nothing, onwards, depending on how many points you like to earn)

QF Cash is still trying to lure me with their latest offer:

For a limited time, you’ll earn up to 6,000 bonus Qantas Points when you load AU$2,000 or more in foreign currency*. Plus, you’ll earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every AU$1 spent on eligible purchases overseas^. So if you spend $6,000 on your Qantas Cash card, you’ll earn another 9,000 Qantas Points. That’s a total of 15,000 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back