Qantas books jet into Singapore for work

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Yada Yada, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Oops! :D

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Good one Geoff! I see you are trying to save money for your next bonus!

3. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Classic comment. So, so true.

4. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    If the price is good, then it makes perfect sense to go there.

Why pay more than you have to

Dave

5. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Yes, from the airline's perspective. But I don't think the govt is thinking about the money. :D

6. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I was under the impression that Qantas is a company with legal obligations to serve the interests of shareholders and not keep howard the duck happy

Dave

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Legally and Literally that is true. However, the perception of Joe Public would appear to be different.

The govt. can promote themselves: "Hey, vote for us some more because we kept jobs within Oz by keeping those nasty SQ people out of OZ-US".

When Qantas suddenly assign *some* of that work overseas, the above promotion loses some of its puff.

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    So in my book its the government trying to win votes that looks silly, not Qantas.

And has anyone in the Australian Government or Qantas actually make a link between the SQ trans-Pacific issue and the location of QF maintenance work? That seems to be an assumption made by many people but I am yet to see any hard evidence that it is anything more than timing coincidence.

9. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    The minister and the prime minister were both singing from the same songsheet on this, denying that the issues were linked. Which for me pretty much indicated the opposite. :roll:

A number of news services quoted Truss, e.g:

Perhaps Truss only had to say to Dixon, "We're thinking about keeping SQ out of the trans-pacific route, and would appreciate any support you can give us on possible future employment issues that may arise". Dixon: Yes, I understand. :(

10. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The cynic and the realist in me says the probability of some background "understanding" between the parties high. But I don't think we should be stating it as fact unless there is strong evidence to support the claim. It would make for an interesting episode of Yes Minister. I can just see how Sir Humphrey would present the "facts" to his minister.

11. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    :D That is exactly what I was thinking. :wink:

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I still believe this issue of sending one 747 to Singapore for a maintenance procedure is a media and union beatup. It seems reasonable to me to expect some change-over time to relocate equipment, tooling etc from SYD to AVV and that during that change-over period the overall maintenance capacity in Australia will be temporarily reduced.

13. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I agree. I also believe that this decision to send one jet to SIN for maintenance must have been known during the period of negotiations. Surely they did not just make a snap decision about it. In which case why would they not advise the unions at the time? It's all a bit strange.

Anyway, I heard on the news this morning that maintenance workers are stopping work at MEL, SYD and BNE in protest.

14. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And they wonder why QF was considering moving their jobs overseas :roll: :roll: . Simple solution to the strike issue is to send one more 747 to Singapore for each day they remain on strike.

15. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    That would be an expensive way to get the point across. Pretty soon you have no 747s left to carry pax and freight (you know the ones who pay the bills) :D

16. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Here is a follow up story...