Qantas Bonus Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemichael

Established Member
I'm sure everyone is aware ;) that old Qantas Bonus points in the Membership Rewards Programme need to be transferred to QFF before December 31st when they will otherwise expire.

Most people have probably used them up years ago but, like me, some people may have them lurking about if they have not transferred MR points to QFF in the last few years. Check your MR statement.

Just to confirm - this is for bonus points only right, not regular membership rewards points?

I'm now keeping all my MR points in my AMEX account, until about a week before I plan on using them for a reward flight. I'd hate to transfer $40k worth of points only to loose them if the QFF scheme goes bust. :(

Cheers,
- Febs.

Just to be clear - is your fear a general one on QF going bankrupt (a la Ansett) or connected to the MacQuarrie takeover? I am scratching my head a little about the panic regarding the imminent collapse of the QFF program if MacBank take over QF.

I am just wondering how may FF programs have disappeared when a profitable airline has been taken over by another airline. Does evidence suggest that say is UA took over QF would simply delete the program or match the enititlements/points.

Given that the MacBank take over is a non-airline take over I can understand what the incentive might be for them to abandon the program. With the membership of the oneworld alliance it would seem strange to expect MacBank to prevent QF fliers taking reward flights but allowing other oneworld members to take them.

I dont know why everyone (well some people) is/are so panicked about MacBank and QFF points. Has anyone said anything about the program disappearing - other than scaremongering speculation?

Febs said:
Just to confirm - this is for bonus points only right, not regular membership rewards points?

I'm now keeping all my MR points in my AMEX account, until about a week before I plan on using them for a reward flight. I'd hate to transfer $40k worth of points only to loose them if the QFF scheme goes bust. :(

Cheers,
- Febs.

Only for Qantas Bonus points, Febs.

IIRC bonus points were awarded for payment of some QF services using the Amex card, up until several years ago. They could only be redeemed in the QFF programme. And at the end of the year they die so they need to be transferred to QFF before then. As Amex transferred those points first whenever you redeemed to QFF, its likely most people will have already used them.

Mine was a public service announcement, not meant to express any concern about the viability of the QF scheme.

simongr said:
Just to be clear - is your fear a general one on QF going bankrupt (a la Ansett) or connected to the MacQuarrie takeover?
A little from column A, and a little from column B. I'm not a panic-merchant, nor do I worry unnecessarily, but when I hear stories of people losing 500,000 points with the collapse of Ansett, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

I guess I look at it this way: Where are my "points" safest? In the AMEX MR program, or in the QFF program, which at the moment (whether warranted or or) has a lot of doubt over it. Given that I can transfer from AMEX to QFF within a few days, and I know when I'll be booking my reward flights (around Feb next year), I feel much safer keeping them in there.

turtlemichael said:
Mine was a public service announcement, not meant to express any concern about the viability of the QF scheme.

Of course, and we appreciate it. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

I think the fears for QFF program if Macquarie bid succeeds are overstated. The experience when AC sold of Aeroplan suggests possible to have some real improvements from a focussed owner. It needn't be one-way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back