Qantas Award Flights

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Reggie, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    I know Qantas has copped a bad wrap about the number of seats they release for FFer's, however I must admit I have been extremely happy with the bookings I have been able to make. In october I was able to book a J class seat to get PER-MEL-PER in business for the Grand Prix, and flights PER-HBA-MEL-PER in business for June, and have now just booked flights to MEL for the footy in business for mid Ausgust.

The flights have all been daytime, no having to take red eyes etc. It seems to me that with everyone trying to use their points prior to the changes coming in, there are lots of seats of available, you just need to be a little flexible. BTW, there were always a lot more choices available for booking economy seats, but I wanted to fly at the pointy end.

Have others found this or have I just been lucky.

2. oliverd

oliverd Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Sydney
    Twitter:
    Linkedin:
    I surprised myself a few days ago by managing to book a RTW Business (MEL / HKK / LHR / GVA / NRT / SYD) in six weeks time. It took a couple of phone calls - other than being flexible with dates, I think a lot of it comes down to the helpfulness and creativity of the agent tracking down availability on different routes...

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    PER-MEL-PER in business costs 35,000 AAdvantage points

PER-HBA-MEL-PER in business may cost 35,000 AAdvantage points

PER-MEL-PER on AA in WHY costs 20,000 AAdvantage points.

Guess what, they book into the same class on the same flights.

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I was also pleasantly surprised to find availability for 3 seats on the same flights between BNE and AKL during the school holidays in January. Both are via MEL, but it is understandable that QF25/26 would have most availability on a single flight since its operated by a 744 aircraft.

I expected to find lots of single seats and that 3 on the same flights would be impossible, especially wanting a return one week later. In the end I had a choice of staying 6 or 8 days, so worked out perfect. Also had the choice of economy or business class.

So no complaints from me regarding availability. And that was as an AA member, so not relying on any additional availability for QF Platinum/Gold status.

5. Newcastle Flyer

Jul 1, 2006
    I have not had problems booking awards flights for the majority of the time. The only time I have experienced problems is when i tried to book an award business class trip for my wife and myself to New Zealand for the bledisloe cup in Auckland.

There were plenty of economy seats but i was wanting business class.