Points & Status Credit Calculators

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Jobu, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Jobu

Jobu Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Is there a website which is quick and easy to use to calculate points / SCs?

The Qantas calculator doesn't work when there are other airlines used in the equation - really frustrating since they sell seats on those flights!

For example, I can book a ticket from Sydney - LAX - Vancouver, but I can't get the calculator to tell me how many points and SCs I'll earn.

I know I can work it out but I am lazy and this happens often (eg: flying to other destinations in the US).

Cheers!

JOBU

2. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    You can use the Great Circle Mapper to get a rough idea of points. I don't think there is anything that calculates SCs because they are a QFF only thing.

3. I saw this site recently referred to (can't remember if it was AFF or FT).

http://jph.bytestacker.com/award.htm

If in the OWE Planner section, you put your "From" and "To" Airport Codes, and hit submit, it comes up with the Discount Y, J and F status earn.

Quite a handy site.

4. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  5. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    Anyone know if there is somewhere else as good as this calculater was. Hasn't seemed to work for a while now?:(

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That web site crashed and has not yet been recovered.

SLF from Flyer Talk was able to recover a recent cached version and set it up online. It will help you.

Here is a link to a previous reference on AFF: Miles Calculator.

Enjoy...

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    It is OK but have noticed some issues. I guess until original version is restored this version will have to suffice.

Does not show SC's, only miles earned and points required for award flight with various carriers. Does not appear to have the QF post May 25, 2005 changes to points required for award flights. Supposedly uses GCM for mileage but lists SYD-SIN as 3915 miles which is not correct distance from GCM or QF.

8. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    Thanks guys, it is/was a very useful tool.

9. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    You're not going to find any tool that is perfectly accurate for calculating mileage since FFPs use their own figures, and these may differ between FFPs on the same route (even the same flight). These figures are not published anywhere so you could only compile an accurate listing based on keeping records of flights posted to your or others accounts.

FWIW I do have a spreadsheet with many thousands of routes and (major) airlines flying them. I have another spreadsheet with SC and point earning rules (and awards) which can (and is) easily linked to work out earning on xONEx's or other trips. However I have not built in the RTW or FFP rules in detail - you have to know if something is allowed or not, nor the seasonality and timing and classes of service of schedules (some flights dont connect properly which forces a stopover >24 hours).

If anyone wants either or both of these spreadsheets I am happy to email (or point out where the routing spreadsheet is kindly hosted by an FTer).

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    hmmm... good spot John... Now you have pointed that out I note that it seems to be ignoring the pre/post May 2005 setting; giving results for pre May25 irrespective. I'll note that on the FT thread ....

11. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Yes I know that most FFPs do not agree on distances for the same route. I was only pointing that this tool mentions that it uses GCM to calculate the distance between 2 cities and this statement appears to be incorrect. The tool reports the distance SYD-SIN at 3915 miles whereas GCM reports the distance SYD-SIN at 3907 miles.

Using this tool to validate a mileage based RTW could in fact give false results due to the inconsistency of the mileage reported.

12. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Using GCM or any tool to validate a mileage based RTW could in fact give false results due to the inconsistency of the mileage reported.

If on mileage based RTW the only way to be sure is to get it checked by an airline. Even different airlines in the same alliance will come up with different calculations.

13. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #13 serfty, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
    I've done that (RTQ Validator URL not working) and the post came back that it works fine for Microsoft Internet Explorer, but might not with Firefox. A Firefix solution is on it's way.

I tried IE and it indeed appears to work ...

14. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I am using IE and it is not working for me. There must be another issue.

15. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There is a Firefox add-in that allows you to run IE in a Firefox tab. Its designed for web developers for testing purposes, but may help if you really want to continue with FF as your only browser.