Platinum Travel frustrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtoss

I'm sorry for what will probably turn into a rant, I try not to but this one just annoyed me.

How can this be a platinum service, when you ring, make your bookings, then are informed an hour later that there was a problem booking and your fare is now $160 more.

I was going to book it on VA's website but then remembered the 25% off business so thought I might treat me and my girlfriend on the trip up for her birthday.

On the way back I just wanted to book a normal fair and was intending to book it though VA if AMEX came up too expensive and had it ready to book.

AMEX ended up equalling the same so I just booked it all through them, or so I thought.

Apparently I was told that when they went to book it, they went through all the way but were then kicked out, they rang VA and it happens "twice a month" where two people are going for the same seats so they are kicked out. And the price won't be honoured. I understand there are only so many seats but don't tell me it's all locked in and then this happens.

I'm just frustrated as 10 mins after I called I browsed the same single leg flights and nothing had changed and probably could've done it myself.

now I am at the point where it is another $20 to book into business class (180 extra) or economy (160 extra)

and times that by two and we are now looking at min extra $320.... lesson learned

I'm sorry for what will probably turn into a rant, I try not to but this one just annoyed me.

How can this be a platinum service, when you ring, make your bookings, then are informed an hour later that there was a problem booking and your fare is now $160 more.

I was going to book it on VA's website but then remembered the 25% off business so thought I might treat me and my girlfriend on the trip up for her birthday.

On the way back I just wanted to book a normal fair and was intending to book it though VA if AMEX came up too expensive and had it ready to book.

AMEX ended up equalling the same so I just booked it all through them, or so I thought.

Apparently I was told that when they went to book it, they went through all the way but were then kicked out, they rang VA and it happens "twice a month" where two people are going for the same seats so they are kicked out. And the price won't be honoured. I understand there are only so many seats but don't tell me it's all locked in and then this happens.

I'm just frustrated as 10 mins after I called I browsed the same single leg flights and nothing had changed and probably could've done it myself.

now I am at the point where it is another $20 to book into business class (180 extra) or economy (160 extra)

and times that by two and we are now looking at min extra $320.... lesson learned

I hear you, I had a rental car 'booking' once via Plat Travel, turned up at Hertz, ummm sorry no booking here Mr Ricardo ??? WTF Luckily they had one spare car for me. So I complained and they refunded me all the phone calls I had made to Amex at an international rate and one day of the car hire. Now I book most things myself, esp rental cars !!!

I would put it on them that this was the price they gave and it was there stuff up, not yours and they should wear the extra cost. In the end they blamed Hertz who apparently didn't process the booking correctly ????

Very hit and miss at Plat Travel.

Very hit and miss at Plat Travel.
That's the problem with many of these institutions; it is generally far more important to you that the flights/rental/accommodation are actually booked correctly than the customer service agent.

To continue the rant, my experience with them has been universally sub-par. It's been mainly the quality, experience knowledge of the agents. One of the Platinum deals is an on-board credit of USD300.00 when a cruise on specified cruise lines is paid for with the card. This has been a good benefit to me. Recently, the rules were changed and now, not only does the card need to be used, but the cruise has to be booked through Platinum Travel. Even retaining a $300 credit would not be enough to make me switch back to Platinum Travel.

Is there any point in even making a complaint or will it get me no where here?

I'd certainly take it up with them though how far you'll get is debatable. How much business do you do with them? Most likely, it wasn't that two people were going for the same seats at the same time but they did not do it immediately and when they did that bucket was full. I'd point out that you know that those price seats were still available 10 minutes later. Can't do any harm.

To continue the rant, my experience with them has been universally sub-par. It's been mainly the quality, experience knowledge of the agents. One of the Platinum deals is an on-board credit of USD300.00 when a cruise on specified cruise lines is paid for with the card. This has been a good benefit to me. Recently, the rules were changed and now, not only does the card need to be used, but the cruise has to be booked through Platinum Travel. Even retaining a $300 credit would not be enough to make me switch back to Platinum Travel.

I thought that had always been the condition of getting the OBC, if my understanding was wrong I have missed out on getting it in the past.

Given your a cardmember who pays a fee for services and benefits I would complain for sure if it was me. If you have enough issues over a year it might be worth asking for a reduced card fee or some kind of other type of 'sweetener' if you like, I mean there are plenty of other cards that have similar types of services for a fraction of what Amex charge us 'premium' cardmembers, also given alot of the changes recently they should be making sure they give the highest levels of service. In a previous industry I was always giving credits to clients who we had missed the boat on in terms of service standards. Or just vote with your feet .......

I thought that had always been the condition of getting the OBC, if my understanding was wrong I have missed out on getting it in the past.

Nope, it's recent. I have got it from several US agents in the past. The wording is gradually changing for all Platinum cards around the world.

Nope, it's recent. I have got it from several US agents in the past. The wording is gradually changing for all Platinum cards around the world.

Oh well, I have missed out then. I think it was Platinum Travel who told me a couple of years ago that I had to book through them to get the OBC. I was able to get a better price elsewhere so didn't book with them.

That's often the case. You'll generally get a better price with overseas agents or at least better on board credits.

Well I complained about it anyways, will let you know if I get anywhere with them, I am assuming it is as stated in earlier on, they just didn't do it right away and then it was gone when they looked again

Ended up getting the difference in fair put back onto my card by Amex Travel after putting the complaint in.

No real guarantee it wouldn't happen again but at least they were able to honour the fair in this case (sort of, it took some complaining first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back