Platinum qualification??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
2
Points
0
If I'm less than 80 status credits short of Platinum before my anniversary - but have more than 200 status credits worth of bookings in the three weeks following my anniversary, will they qualify me as Platinum - or just keep me as Gold?
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,456
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Welcome to AFF.

No. You have to achieve the requirement in the time required. Qantas has been generous in the past with renewing current status when people don't make the requirement, but they have been consistent with not granting a higher level without hitting the mark.

The 200 booked SCs will be a good start to your next year's status renewal. If you want to make Platinum (and who doesn't?) then find another 80 SCs before your anniversary date.
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
802
Points
270
as suggested the answer will 99% be 'No' ...

many others go on 'status runs' to get the reqiured SCs ... plenty of others here can tell you which routings are the best for SCs based on price/miles flown etc ...

it all depends on how important WP status is to you and your situation as it unfolds in the next 12 months.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,523
Points
415
Depending on where you live, it is possible to earn 80 SC for around $500.

A very good investment if it results in Platinum!
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
odoherty said:
Depending on where you live, it is possible to earn 80 SC for around $500.

A very good investment if it results in Platinum!

or 160SCs for $700 on a r/t ticket... get the 1st 80SCs this year and then get the other 80 next year

Dave
 
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
2
Points
0
I guess that's my next question - is it worth getting to Platinum? Is there much difference from Gold to Platinum. I travel probably twice a month, from Perth to east coast.
Is there a cheap and easy way to get status credits flying from Perth?
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
odoherty said:
Depending on where you live, it is possible to earn 80 SC for around $500.

A very good investment if it results in Platinum!
If you are referring to the SYD-CBR-SYD run in business class that is now $590 for 80SC's.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
FrequentFighter said:
I guess that's my next question - is it worth getting to Platinum? Is there much difference from Gold to Platinum. I travel probably twice a month, from Perth to east coast.
Is there a cheap and easy way to get status credits flying from Perth?

Other than access to the Flounges and access to pre-assign exit row seats on international flights, not a great deal of difference. If you thought you might not requalify for Gold next year, then it would be useful since from Platinum you would only drop back to Gold

If you are going to take flights just for the sake of getting a black card, then I would suggest giving it a miss. If you can organise any currently intended trips to increase earnings, then go for it; I think that $600 could be better spent than just trying to buy status

Dave
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
FrequentFighter said:
I guess that's my next question - is it worth getting to Platinum? Is there much difference from Gold to Platinum. I travel probably twice a month, from Perth to east coast.
Not much difference from Gold to Platinum.

FrequentFighter said:
Is there a cheap and easy way to get status credits flying from Perth?
No.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,646
Solutions
12
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
JohnK said:
Not much difference from Gold to Platinum. ...
Having MEL as a home, there is a HUGE difference.

For the last 5 or so years, the MEL QP Agents have been very diligent in checking up on one's right of QP access. Since I've had the QF WP card I get waved through with a smile every time.

It's a order of magnitudal difference in realtion to QF SG!

YMMV
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
serfty said:
Having MEL as a home, there is a HUGE difference.

For the last 5 or so years, the MEL QP Agents have been very diligent in checking up on one's right of QP access. Since I've had the QF WP card I get waved through with a smile every time.

It's a order of magnitudal difference in realtion to QF SG!

YMMV

Thing is though, even though you might get in a few seconds slower as an SG you still get in so I wouldn't view it as a great saving

Dave
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
serfty said:
Having MEL as a home, there is a HUGE difference.

For the last 5 or so years, the MEL QP Agents have been very diligent in checking up on one's right of QP access. Since I've had the QF WP card I get waved through with a smile every time.

It's a order of magnitudal difference in realtion to QF SG!

YMMV
When kpc, oz_mark and myself got to the QP in BNE after OzFest III last week it felt to me that the person behind the counter was not interested who walked in or not. I hadn't even had the chance to take the QF Gold card out of my wallet and he just turned around and started doing other things.

A few minutes later I went outside to find ATM and when I walked back into QP again the person behind counter showed little interest. I noticed this with other people walking in as well.

As a QF Gold I thought that I could only gain entry into the QP if travelling on a QF flight. I would have expected him to sight my QF Gold card and ask to see the boarding pass as I could have been travelling Virgin or Jetstar that day.

Weird how you get the attendants behaving in different ways at different QP's.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,646
Solutions
12
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Dave Noble said:
Thing is though, even though you might get in a few seconds slower as an SG you still get in so I wouldn't view it as a great saving

Dave
Unless thay are outbound, QF SGs will generally NOT be permitted QP access in MEL. ... ;) (Unlike Brisbane and, to a lesser extent, Sydney.)
 
Last edited:

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,646
Solutions
12
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
SNAP!
JohnK said:
...
As a QF Gold I thought that I could only gain entry into the QP if travelling on a QF flight. I would have expected him to sight my QF Gold card and ask to see the boarding pass as I could have been travelling Virgin or Jetstar that day.

Weird how you get the attendants behaving in different ways at different QP's.
As per my previous post, the way access to the QP in BNE works appears quite different to that of MEL, although they operate under the "same" rules...
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
serfty said:
SNAP!As per my previous post, the way access to the QP in BNE works appears quite different to that of MEL, although they operate under the "same" rules...
It would appear that QP in MEL is a little more strict in allowing access. I would have thought that QP employees would all be aware of the guidelines in gaining QP entry yet choose to interpret them in different ways.

I have not had QF Gold that long to be able to comment on the different QP's but I will be visiting SYD, ADL and DRW QP's next week and will be able to see how these operate.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,646
Solutions
12
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
JohnK said:
... I have not had QF Gold that long to be able to comment on the different QP's but I will be visiting SYD, ADL and DRW QP's next week and will be able to see how these operate.
Enjoy :cool: !
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,456
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Two benefits of reaching a higher status level come about at the end of the next year. If you make it this year, you only need 1200 SCs to retain it next year. And Qantas has been known to renew people's current status if they have not quite attained the published target. This does not happen for reaching a higher status, but has been seen for retaining current status (no guarantees though).
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
12,197
Solutions
3
Points
1,345
JohnK said:
Not much difference from Gold to Platinum.


No.

Travelling PER to East Coast twice a month (& back I assume) would be 24 return trips per annum. At around 3600 miles per round trip (more to SYD/BNE, less to MEL), that would earn 5400 FF points as a Gold or 7200 FF points as a Platinum on a round trip. Therefore net benefit of being platinum is around 43,000 pts, which is surely at least a bit of a difference.

The other big difference I found was when it comes to redeeming FF points for QF flights (officially same availability for both tiers, but in practice have found some variations).

And of course, the ultimate benefit only applies if you happen to be flying through Hong Kong on One World, access to the First Class side of the best airline lounges in the world!!
 
Last edited:

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
serfty said:
I certainly hope so. Some are early morning visits, so no amber fluid available but the afternoon visits should be enjoyable.

Once I reach the destination as a QF Gold can I visit the QP or is that privilege only for QF Platinum?
 
Transform your lounge room (or any indoor space) into your own private movie theatre in just a few seconds.

Our Mini Pocket Projector is small, light and easily transportable. A must have!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
dajop said:
Travelling PER to East Coast twice a month (& back I assume) would be 24 return trips per annum. At around 3600 miles per round trip (more to SYD/BNE, less to MEL), that would earn 5400 FF points as a Gold or 7200 FF points as a Platinum. Therefore net benefit of being platinum is around 43,000 pts, which is surely at least a bit of a difference.
True, I did not consider the extra FF points.

... But if we value the points at 1 cent each then 43,000 points is $430 value but in order to reach QF Platinum the OP is 80 SC's short which would cost around $600 to achieve. So the benefit does not outweigh the cost in this situation.Also everyone values FF points and status differently.

If it was up to me I would go for the extra 80 SC's, not for the FF points, for the status and as some people have mentioned in earlier posts if you don't make QF Platinum next membership year then you may get comped to QF Platinum again or at worst drop back to QF Gold.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
87,562
Messages
2,152,286
Members
54,553
Latest member
mattbarber
Top