Platinum Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansettrule

Intern
Hello Everyone, I have an issue with the fee for the platinum card from Amex.
The fee is a little bit rich for what you get.
I travel to Melbourne from Adelaide with the free flight and apart from that I don't use the card for much more than that.
A return from Adl to Mel is about $200, so what is the attraction of the Platinum Card.
I believe that the fee just doesn't justify what you get.
Share your thoughts.

You think your just so good when you pull it out to pay for $5 at coles and everybody else things you a complete wanker !

Really sometimes its travel insurance but you can also get that on gold.

In thoery higher limits but you can get a massive limit on gold anyway, and if you actually used that limit they wouldn't charge you yearly fees.

Use the AMEX card compraison tool to check it out yourself.
American Express Australia - Compare Our Cards

Evan

1.5 points per dollar spent. That is also available on Gold Rewards Maximiser and some association cards (such as CPA).

There was not enough attraction to get me to move from Gold Rewards Maximiser to Platinum.

AT the end of the day you need to work out for yourself whether the cost of the card is justified. For me, an annual trip from Perth to Melbourne more than covers the cost of the card, but for others the equation works out differently.

If you don't think it is worth the cost, then don't have one.

I've noted previously that unless located in Perth (as I am), or wishing to travel to Perth, the card does not seem to offer great value for the cost - unless putting big spend on it to get the 1.5+ points/$.

I travel to MEL or SYD on it each year, so I figure I get my fee's worth from the travel component alone. I also buy a DONE4or5 from Qantas each year on it (at c. $10-11K), so I get the bonus points from that spend, plus the base points from the general usage on a day to day basis at shops - but unfortunately no big corporate spend to really crank it.

So I feel it works for me. But if I was on the E coast and had no need or desire to travel to PER annually, I'd probably give it a miss.

JohnM said:
So I feel it works for me. But if I was on the E coast and had no need or desire to travel to PER annually, I'd probably give it a miss.

I am not sure the east coast people can travel to Perth any more.

I am contemplating the move from a Gold to Platinum for two reasons - higher points earning plus the free annual return flight.

Currently my employer is happy to pay the annual Gold card fee as they do not issue corporate credit cards. They would probably baulk though at the increase in fee from Gold to Platinum. I have family in the Brisbane area so a return flight MEL-BNE is better value than say MEL-SYD or MEL-ADL. The cheapest red e-deals are around $300 return.

So if my employer is still happy to pay for a $200 annual fee, and I cough up the remaining $195, then I am essentially getting a return flight for that difference, which for MEL-BNE is not too bad.

If I had to pay the annual fee then I would probably switch to a Rewards Maximiser.

I take it the discussion is about the regular cards as opposed to the corporate cards. Recently Amex sent correspondence to all Amex corporate card holders in our company with an offer to 'upgrade' to platinum. The benefits discussed here are the standard offers with alternatives to a domestic flight (and being east coast based a flight to Perth is NOT an option) being QF club membership (big deal) or a couple of nights accommodation in a hotel.

The fee is $1,200:shock: :shock: :shock: which the company won't cover. Funny that. Who the hell would pay that much???

I think Amex are playing with themselves if they think anyone would be so insane as to agree to this offer, merely so people can flash the plastic bling bling to impress God knows who.

I should have mentioned that the flyer from Amex stated the fee would normally be tax deductible if used for business purposes. I would agree with this especially in the case of Shano as he needs access to a card that his employer won't provide.

If necessary, either the full amount or additional amount could be salary sacrificed if desired, bring the additonal cost down to less than $100 for most of us. Just fill in the appropriate declaration for FBT purposes.

But the $1,200? Still, no way is the value there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back