Platinum Credit Card Overseas Insurance - links to policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardoc

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Does anyone with a Platinum American Express Charge Card have details of the insurance (particularly the overseas medical emergency insurance) that is included with the card? The Product Disclosure Statement listed on http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/campaigns/platinumcredit/membershipbenefits.shtml doesn't have enough information, like:

* Does it cover only the cardholder, or the cardholder and their partner/spouse?
* Does it cover reward flights where you're using mostly American Express Membership Rewards Points?

Thanks for your help on this!

Charge card? Or Credit card?

Credit card disclosure statement is here:
http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/campaigns/platinumcredit/ProductDisclosure.pdf

Charge card:
http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/personal/cards/benefits/platinum_travel.shtml#plattravins

But doesn't list the disclosure statement. Best you call Amex support in Australia and ask for it to be sent to you.

BTW - all of the Credit Card/Charge card insurances are a little flakey when it comes to definitions. Can never really know what is not covered after reading their disclosure statements.

I would suggest also that you contact AMEX and get some kind of written information about your questions and policy.

AFF/ Any other web forum is ok if you're talking about "Do I get access to the BA AMS lounge", but when it comes to legal definitions with serious financial ramifications - only Amex or their insurers can help with a definate answer that you can use.

Yes, sorry, I was talking about the Platinum Credit Card.

I realise that these things are tricky and the Product Disclosure Statement is NOT the full Terms and Conditions of the Policy Document - that's what I was hoping that someone had access to - this is something that I don't have.

I have called Amex and they have put me on to ACE Insurance, which is unfortunately closed for the ANZAC break.

It may be the case that I'll have to just wait for them to get back to me.

I called them before I went away, and they said your partner is covered. (must be married or if defacto there is a time period you must have lived together for).

Nothing in the PDS about flight rewards. You must have paid for your tickets with the Amex to qualify for the insurance, but my travel agent mentioned a sorry tale:

The credit card holder buys airline tickets using his card. Believes he is covered for the trip. Takes a rickshaw ride overseas, paying cash. (the rickshaw driver is unlikely to accept a credit card!) There is an accident, and the insurance company REFUSED to cover the medical expenses, as they weren't paid for via the credit card.

If you do contact ACE insurance, check to see what is covered. Let us know.

pksw said:
The credit card holder buys airline tickets using his card. Believes he is covered for the trip. Takes a rickshaw ride overseas, paying cash. (the rickshaw driver is unlikely to accept a credit card!) There is an accident, and the insurance company REFUSED to cover the medical expenses, as they weren't paid for via the credit card.

If this actually is true, then it is terrible. I will be sure to approach issues like this when I quiz them about the insurance.

pksw said:

TBH, This doesn't suprise me.

CC insurance policies are absolutely chockers with ommisions and things that are not covered.

One of my policies specifically voids the insurance "if under the influence of alcohol". What is "under the influence"? One wine on the plane before it crashes?

Hence why I use them only as a backup, and for the "travel inconvenience" type covers, and have a seperate policy which is a little bit better worded, and covers me for more activities.

beardoc,

Please be sure to post all the details when you get them. The rickshaw ride story sound a little scary.

I will be sure to do so. I will likely put it in writing. Maybe it would be a good idea to make this thread a list of questions and things that need clarification when I write the letter? I'll put them all in writing and then post the response.

So, if there's anything burning about the Amex Insurance that you want to know, post here and you'll get an answer via me (hopefully - if they write back!)

OK. A couple to start with.

Where do they draw the line with insurance cover?

I understand that if I buy tickets for my wife and myself then we are both covered. What if I buy tickets for my two (non dependant) daughters, are they covered?

Is there a difference between domestic and international?

What if I have a reward ticket and pay the fees & taxes with my AMEX. Does the travel insurance kick in on this occasion?

Just to comment on the Rickshaw Story -
I think the travel agent tried to scare you into buying the insurance that he sells.

While I have not made any claims (thank god), I have read the credit card insurance T&Cs. Usually these (insurance T&Cs) are separate booklets from the credit card T&Cs. I will see if I can trace my Amex Platinum Insurance T&Cs and give more specific details.

Generally, Medical & hospitalisation cover does not differentiate the cause of the illness except in the case of pre-existing illness (definitions vary, it is advisable to call and clarify, if you have had any illnesses recently) and HIV or any STD.

It is different from Transit Accident Cover. Almost all credit card insurance that offer this kind of insurance will cover only if the fare (plane, taxi, bus, rickshaw..) is paid by the credit card. But this Transit Accident insurance is not medical insurance. The benefit is paid based on your loss (life, limbs, eye, etc) and is paid as a fixed lumpsum. It is sort of a Life & TPD policy.

So in my opinion, if you meet with an accident in a rickshaw, your credit card hospitalisation or medical cover will still cover you, but the transit accident cover will not, in case you lose your life or limbs.

I am sure most of us here have Life & TPD Insurance cover separately.

I know we are all trying to save money everywhere but credit card companies are not travel insurance providers. Sure they may have basic cover but I couldn't settle for anything less than comprehensive.

If you travel a lot then the most you will pay on an annual insurance policy is around $350 or if like me you only travel short trips 2-3 times a year then around $80 at a time is cost of the policy. You do this and you have peace of mind.

Why make such a fuss over credit card travel insurance. It is only a gimmick, interpretations are always very vague even when you ring to ask for clarification and should never be substituted for comprehensive travel insurance.

As I said, I never made a claim. But credit card insurance is generally provided by the same companies that provide other travel insurance - like Zurich, AIG, etc. Once I wanted to fly overseas just two weeks after cleared of Pneumonia. So I spoke to the insurance company about my credit card insurance cover and they suggested that I pay $45.00 for taking a "pre-existing illness" cover to cover pneumonia. They were well informed - unlike the credit card call centre people.

I suppose, when it comes to claims, you will just be dealing with the insurance company. Then, of course, all the insurance companies are same. They will fight to the last not to pay a hefty claim!!!!

It is really up t

I have a .pdf version of both the Platinum Charge and Platinum Credit Card Insurance Policies I obtained in January 2006.

I don't know how to post an attachment on the forum board, so if you want a copy, PM me and i can email it to you.

Of course, you can just ring up the platinum charge/credit card no and they will transfer you to the insurance arm and they will email it to you.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back