Platinum Charge Companion Card change

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzstyle

Interesting fact, spoke with Platinum team earlier on a different matter, consultant mentioned for any new companion card application approved after 24/8/20, member will NO LONGER receive the $400 annual travel credit, everything else remains the same. Pity to see AMEX cutting benefits to their valued members but cost reductions during COVID must've be a priority.

Remember to apply for the companion card soon if you want to take advantage of the travel credit, was told existing cardholders will not be impacted.

But what can you do with Travel Credits in the COVID-19 circumstances anyway?
A yearly A$400 credit for free year after year! The suggestion is to get the Companion "Reserve Credit Card", if you are eligible (ie already holding a Platinum Card), NOT whether to apply for a Platinum Charge Card quick.

Would be particularly disappointing if they reduced the value of the cards but kept the annual fee the same. Hopefully this will not apply to existing customers for a long time yet.

Is it this one.

It doesnt mention of voucher anymore

But what can you do with Travel Credits in the COVID-19 circumstances anyway?

If you're not in Victoria, you can easily use it for local travel. As I found out recently by calling Amex Travel, I could use the credit for hotels not listed on the Amex Travel website.

You used to be able to use the credit for booking experiences, but that has since been enhanced. I contacted Amex about this recently and got the following lies to my face..

In normal circumstances you would be able to book activities on the "things to do" tab in our travel page, however due to the uncertain times we are living with Covid-19, we have removed this option until further notice.

I queried why this was done and told

The decision of removing the activities wasn't taken lightly and was made on the best of interests for our card members.

Unfortunately I can not go in detail as to what the reason was as this is confidential business information.

If someone can explain how it's in card members' best interests, I'd love to hear the spin.

Would be particularly disappointing if they reduced the value of the cards but kept the annual fee the same. Hopefully this will not apply to existing customers for a long time yet.

They've already done this (points earning reduction) and hiked the annual fee. So while it would be very disappointing, it wouldn't be surprising.

As I found out recently by calling Amex Travel, I could use the credit for hotels not listed on the Amex Travel website.
That's really interesting and potentially useful though giving the hotel quarantine arrangement, I am not prepared to make domestic hotel bookings any time soon - I have this considered decision as I had to weigh what I was going to do with the StayPlus credit expiring end this month :(

Wasn't this a thing a while ago albeit a 'soft' implementation ISTR? Didn't Amex Australia remove information about the Reserve Card from the website late 2018 even though you could still apply for it?

Does adding the card trigger another credit check?

I’ve had the Platinum Charge a little over a year and recently got 150K points as a retention offer, but I don’t have the Reserve card.

Yep another application and credit check. I was luckily able to do a product transfer from my old Velocity Platinum to Platinum Reserve without check. I think they let this through as they’d stuffed me around with sending the paper app for the Reserve as they usually don’t let you do a product transfer (IME). I avoided another credit check as a result.

What's people's thoughts re whether they are likely to remove the $400 travel credit as a card benefit for existing customers in the short to medium term? I'm just a bit concerned that removing it for new companion card holders is a soft first step to expanding this reduction in benefit in future). I haven't held the card long enough to know how AMEX usually plays this --- do existing card holders tend to keep existing benefits for a long time, or do initial changes, like removing it for new applicants tend to be a sign of changes to come? (I'm assuming the latter unfortunately).

It'll be coming....

I think they will be releasing a new 'High End' AMEX card in the future. I'm sure it was probably meant to be out already, but alas, COVID-19. From memory, it is going to slot in between PC and Centurion, but not be invite only like Cent.

There’s hardly any difference between Centurion and PC as it is. I’ve seen rumors of a new card too. Wonder what features of which card will be adjusted to make way for Centurion lite and how much the AF will be ... time will tell.

I have a feeling it will work in their favour more so then a soft launch. Re-opening international travel, with a "cool" new card with all these perks etc. Marketing will have a field day with it.

But that seems like years away still...! Plenty of time for them to deval without having to tell anyone 😂😂😂

There’s hardly any difference between Centurion and PC as it is. I’ve seen rumors of a new card too. Wonder what features of which card will be adjusted to make way for Centurion lite and how much the AF will be ... time will tell.

It will have the features the PC had 18 months ago. They'll just continue to devalue the current PC, keep the price the same and then the "new" card can have a higher annual free with the features the PC once had. </cynic>

Does adding the card trigger another credit check?

I’ve had the Platinum Charge a little over a year and recently got 150K points as a retention offer, but I don’t have the Reserve card.
No credit check for me though this was a few years back.
Do note that it requires a paper application. I had to go through a few CSRs to get the right one sent to me

No credit check for me though this was a few years back.
Do note that it requires a paper application. I had to go through a few CSRs to get the right one sent to me
I've held the charge since 18' and it's always been an online application:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back