Platinum AMEX Free Flight not on "My Bookings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppet

Intern
Hoping someone can help me with this query. My husband and I both have platinum amex's and we've just redeemed our free domestic flight. The only problem is that the booking reference on the itinery (sp?) will not come up on the Qantas website, such that I can add it to 'My Bookings' :confused: . I think it is because the ref is 6 letters, rather than a combination of letters and numbers.

By not having it in 'My Bookings' I suspect this is going to hamper our ability to use online checkin. Has anyone else noticed this? Would it be because you can't earn FF points on this flight? If not, has anyone got any tips on how to get it into my FF account?

The Amex booked flights are booked on a different booking system called Galileo ViewTrip (www.viewtrip.com)

Try using your confirmation code and surname on that site. You should see your Qantas booking reference in the booking somewhere (or perhaps in the receipt).

Failing that, give Qantas a call and tell them the flight you're on and a few other details and they'll give you the Amadeus (Qantas) reference for the booking.

You should then be able to access your booking without any dramas.

Maybe this should go in a FAQ or sticky... it certainly is confusing not seeing the flight listed when you log in to the qantas website, or try to do an online/kiosk terminal check-in.

I didn't realise that there were two different systems of reference numbers when I first claimed an award flight. It made me a bit worried when I turned up to the airport, put in my frequent flyer card to do the self-check-in and found that I wasn't listed as being on the flight.

It seems to be because Amex Platinum 'free' flights are redeemed through Qantas Travel which allocates a booking reference number that the main Qantas system doesn't recognise.

Mal provided the two systems' names, but it seems strange that two parts of Qantas use different systems:confused: .

JohnM said:
It seems to be because Amex Platinum 'free' flights are redeemed through Qantas Travel which allocates a booking reference number that the main Qantas system doesn't recognise.

Mal provided the two systems' names, but it seems strange that two parts of Qantas use different systems:confused: .

My experience with the bookings is that the booking can be done by either American Express Travel Services, or Qantas Travel. I believe Amex are trying to transition all bookings to Qantas Travel, but are not there yet (actually, they want an online booking system..but that hasn't happened). Who does your booking depends on a few things like the time you call and the busyness of various people.

Amex Travel Services uses Galileo. Qantas should use Amadeus for their bookings. So you could get either.

We have just got back after our little holiday courtesy of AMEX platinum, and would you believe that we actually earned SC's and FF points from the flight! I am surprised as the ticket specifically stated that no SC's or FF points will be earned on the fare.

I wonder if Qantas will let us keep the points or whether they will notice the error and take them away from us - not that we're talking about a lot of points, but I was just a little surprised.

poppet said:
We have just got back after our little holiday courtesy of AMEX platinum, and would you believe that we actually earned SC's and FF points from the flight! I am surprised as the ticket specifically stated that no SC's or FF points will be earned on the fare.

I wonder if Qantas will let us keep the points or whether they will notice the error and take them away from us - not that we're talking about a lot of points, but I was just a little surprised.

I'd keep very quiet about it and hope for the best! ;)

poppet said:

This may not be as uncommon as you think. :cool:

straitman said:
This may not be as uncommon as you think. :cool:

Just because something says that you won't, doesn't mean you can't!

T&C's are there to cover behinds. Some Amex bookings are done certain ways, others are done in other ways.

Some may earn points. Some might not. So the T&C say you won't.

As has been noted... It definately isn't as uncommon as thought!

Last week I booked my free Amex (wine appreciation tour) trip from Sydney to Perth in May 2007, and I was allowed to go to Perth because I had the card before the May 2005 Perth cut off. It was booked through Amex and I was suprised at the number of flights on different days that were available to me. I am aware they come out of the 'O' bucket, but had many options. Its a pity QF didn't have the same availability for award seats.

Maca44 said:
Last week I booked my free Amex (wine appreciation tour) trip from Sydney to Perth in May 2007, and I was allowed to go to Perth because I had the card before the May 2005 Perth cut off. It was booked through Amex and I was suprised at the number of flights on different days that were available to me. I am aware they come out of the 'O' bucket, but had many options. Its a pity QF didn't have the same availability for award seats.

I had the same experience for my November trip to Perth. Booked on 3-4 weeks notice and quite a range of flights available. Pity Perth is now out of the equation. :mad: :( :evil:

While I didn't get any SC or FF for my redemption, I did get them to add my FF number at the time I did the redemption, so that it would appear under My Bookings. It appeared straight away.

I did a PER-MEL-PER trip, and had plenty of options for times, and I booked about three weeks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back