Paying ATO tax bill with Citibusiness gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

splashin

I was wondering if anyone can confirm if points can be earned when paying Tax or BAS with Citibusiness gold?

I have spoken to 3 phone reps at Citibank and they have all said no as it is a government related charge (and points cannot be earned on government related charges including council rates etc).

However, I have read a few post on here which indicated otherwise?:confused:

I'd be taking a guess that the Citibank call centre people are just making an assumption based on the T's & C's.

Just looking at my last statement for you.

Closing balance = $5600.00 (including $3050.00 spent at the ATO)

Points earned = 7100

My maths indicates that I earned the 1.25 points/$1 even on the ATO purchase.

I would guess that the Citibank call centre staff took your question to mean Government charges such as Debit & Credit Taxes that are/used to be applied directly to accounts.

Have never had problems with points for Council rates but once again I would say that my above comment would also apply here with regards to what the Citibank staff interpreted from your question.

But pls don't give Citibank any ideas about not earning points :D

All I can say is there has been no issue on either of our two Citi Select cards.
Try yours by putting a bit thru and watch the result would be a good way to tackle this one.

Well, I'll find out in a couple of days. Going to pay off my HECS tomorrow before the discount is reduced from 10% to 5%.

I haven't used my Citibusiness Gold card to pay tax but I have frequently used my CBA Amex to pay tax and other business expenses which according to the terms of the CBA rewards scheme should not earn points. I have always been credited with points.

I suspect that these rules are simply not enforced because there is no automated process to sort through the millions of transactions and nobody cares enough to do it by hand.

I can confirm that Citibusiness Gold does earn points at normal rate for ATO payments, have done it loads of times.

Great reply WindowSeat.....if it's ok I will take the other Window Seat.

Just a quick question on the actual card, couldn't find the answer on the citi website. Does this card have an annual points cap?

I only asked once (but recently) and I was told the points cap was 250,000 per year.

The only thing we're not sure about is whether it goes to $2 per QF point alongside the Citibank Platinum cards as of April 1st.

I haven't seen any info from CB so assuming that it stays as advertised previously at 1:1 CB>QF points but it's a nervous wait :). And Citibank aren't great at giving the same answer on different support calls so hard to take what any one call gives as gospel.

But yes, for QFF points it's a very good card. And if you're in SYD or MEL especially the 3pt per $ dining program with a free bottle of wine is a pretty good side perk.

Merry Christmas all.

I'm dragging up an old thread here, curious to know is there any way to pay an ATO tax bill using a Citibank Platinum Rewards Card?

The fantastic Citibank website pops up with an error message when trying to transfer funds in the Bpay feature.

If you want points you can call the ATO on 1300 898089 and have your bill and card ready. It will take about 3 minutes.

Update on Citibusiness rewards ATO payments:

I paid my tax using my Citibusiness rewards gold card last month, but they didn't credit ANY rewards points. After writing to them to find out what was going on: See clear response from them below:Now that Amex no longer award points for ATO payments: Anyone else aware of a card that may?

09/04/2013 11:09 AM
Subject :
Re: Enquiry on Statement Billing (Credit Card)
Dear Anthony
We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and regret for
any inconvenience caused.
We understand that you have previously earned Rewards points for ATO
payments; however, this is not in line with the Terms and Conditions of
your CitiBusiness Gold Visa Account.
As per the Terms and Conditions, government charges are excluded from
eligible spend. Please be advised that we have reinforced this condition
based on a recent review. In this regard, if you have government charges
on your statement, your Rewards points balance will not reflect those
spends.
For your convenience, you may contact our Rewards Service Centre
directly on 1800 085 655, or if overseas on +61 2 8225 0611 during the
hours of 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
If there's anything else we can do to assist you, please let us know and
we?ll be happy to help.
Thank you for using the Citibank Australia Website.
Yours sincerely,
Citibank Online Customer Service Centre
© Citigroup Pty Limited ABN 88 004 325 080 AFSL No. 238098 Australian
Credit Licence No. 238098
citibank.com.au

By Citi telling no one everyone who paid ATO got caught by an unannounced change. Their position on this is very ordinary.

By Citi telling no one everyone who paid ATO got caught by an unannounced change. Their position on this is very ordinary.

I also don't think that such ATO payments were the reason the exclusion for government charges (and they aren't really charges are they). I wonder if the exclude everything else that is a government payment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back