PAY YOUR RENT AND BOND WITH AMEX/Visa/Mastercard [merged threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutcase

Well they said that it couldnt be done but here it is.

www.rentalrewards.com.au

This website allows you to pay your rent and bond by any Credit Card Automatically.

The agent doesnt even have to be affiliated with the company.

Of course there is a catch. 1.2% for Visa and Mastercard, 2.7% for AMEX. Still, if you do the sums, its not too bad.

I just signed up and couldnt be happier. 40,000 points here we come!

Happy hunting

Nutcase said:
Well they said that it couldnt be done but here it is.

Rental Rewards - Pay your Rent with your Credit Card

This website allows you to pay your rent and bond by any Credit Card Automatically.

The agent doesnt even have to be affiliated with the company.

Of course there is a catch. 1.2% for Visa and Mastercard, 2.7% for AMEX. Still, if you do the sums, its not too bad.

I just signed up and couldnt be happier. 40,000 points here we come!

Happy hunting

Is the 40,000 points a sign up special? Or have you worked out yourearnings based on your rent?

40,000 is the amount of points that I will receive in the next 12 months by swapping my payment method

hmmmm, very interesting indeed. Could be a nice little way to earn some extra points :) thanks nutcase...

Do you seriously value Amex points at 2.97c in the dollar.
No value here

well if I pay with Visa (ANZ Qantas F/Flyer), it will cost me an extra $271 per year in credit card surcharges....but for this I will get 21000 points that I would not have otherwise had. So $271 for 21000 points is a good deal in my mind. I could spend the same on a return SYD-MEL flight and only get 2000 points....

Amex is obviously more expensive (an extra $611 in credit card surcharges for 32000 points). I think I will stick with the Visa payment...

Nutcase said:
40,000 is the amount of points that I will receive in the next 12 months by swapping my payment method
Assuming payment with a 1:1 earning Visa, you are implying spending $40,000 with a charge of 1.2% being $480 to earn those 40,000 points, or 1.2 cents each.

Or if using a 1:1.5 Amex such as Rewards Maximiser, your 40,000 points comes from $26,667 spend with a charge of 2.7% is $720 for the points, or 1.8 cents each.

Value is going to be different for each person.

Be careful with this site. You'll need to check with your agent before signing up. Mine was listed properly on the site, but when I contacted my agent they'd never heard of it.:?:

NM said:
Assuming payment with a 1:1 earning Visa, you are implying spending $40,000 with a charge of 1.2% being $480 to earn those 40,000 points, or 1.2 cents each.

Or if using a 1:1.5 Amex such as Rewards Maximiser, your 40,000 points comes from $26,667 spend with a charge of 2.7% is $720 for the points, or 1.8 cents each.

Value is going to be different for each person.

YMMV but for me $326.70 (11,000*0.0297) for a Y-J West-East upgrade is money well spent.

Deeruck said:
Be careful with this site. You'll need to check with your agent before signing up. Mine was listed properly on the site, but when I contacted my agent they'd never heard of it.:?:

Some of you are such hard cases!

It's new, hence the reason why your listed agent may not have heard of it. Knowing the banking industry as I do, it aint dodgy.

As for the value of points - its up to the individual - Personally its worth it for me - it may not be for you.

Be an individual, live a little!

I used this company during 2005, had no issues until the end when another payment was debited after I cancelled the service. However a credit was returned to me, along with a very apologetic email.

Just have a look at the fees and if it works for you, and you pay your cards off so aren't paying interest then it maybe worthwhile...

I ad actually forgotten about that crew!!
Cheers

PS - I used Stockdale Leggo as my agents at the time so I guess if they as a large group know, most others may know of them...

I have been using rentalrewards.com.au on my ANZ Visa since October 2005 without any problems, points transfer the same etc. I have to pay rent in any event so why not take advantage of the additional benefit of points

Maca44 said:
I have been using rentalrewards.com.au on my ANZ Visa since October 2005 without any problems, points transfer the same etc. I have to pay rent in any event so why not take advantage of the additional benefit of points

Thanks Mate, at last someone who understands me!

Interesting that Tenants are treated like second class citizens - Im a landlord and a tenant for tax reasons and it never ceases to amaze me the complete lack of interest the real estate agent that I pay my rent to has in me. He's a new guy and doesnt realise that Im on both sides of the equation. He takes 2 or 3 days to get back to me on stuff, doesnt seem interested and puts the rent up regularly. He never told me about this deal with Credit cards either. If he was smart, he'd milk this one to death!

So how does it work?

How does money get transferred from your card to the rental agency? Do you give bank account details? BPay details? Or do they just post cheques or something similar?

Mal said:
So how does it work?

How does money get transferred from your card to the rental agency? Do you give bank account details? BPay details? Or do they just post cheques or something similar?

All they asked me for was my details, address where rent is for, contact detaisl, real estate agency, credit card details, next rent due, rent amount, rent frequency that I wish to pay. Have never heard of them since signing up, and for that matter, have not heard from the real estate agency for 18 mths.

v8Statesman said:
YMMV but for me $326.70 (11,000*0.0297) for a Y-J West-East upgrade is money well spent.
According to a letter I received today regarding Amex Rewards Concierge, my Amex Membership Rewards points are worth 0.64 cents/point. However, I agree that there are ways to get far better value out of points than the concierge service.

It always surprises me how much people value their points for. In my opinion people become so hyped, they forget to consider the true costs of things such as the cost of the inconvenience of trying to find a suitable flight, the cost of not receiving points or status etc., the cost of the extra night away because your need to be flexible with your flights etc.

Whilst probably against the rules, if you truely value points so highly have you considered getting your own merchant account and then charging your own credit card. If you have a business you could do this and then refund yourself by cheque or bank transfer.

The merchant fee that my business is charged is 0.7%, so it seems that 1.2% still allows the rental payment processing company at least 0.5%, and I wouldn't be surprised if the company takes a fee from the rental agency as well.

one9 said:
Whilst probably against the rules, if you truely value points so highly have you considered getting your own merchant account and then charging your own credit card. If you have a business you could do this and then refund yourself by cheque or bank transfer.

It's completely against the rules unfortunately, I suspect your merchant account wouldn't last very long if those were the only transactions going through it.

Also, it normally takes a considerable turnover to score a merchant fee as low as 0.7%. Starting rates are normally around the 3-4% mark in my own experience.

one9 said:
It always surprises me how much people value their points for. In my opinion people become so hyped, they forget to consider the true costs of things such as the cost of the inconvenience of trying to find a suitable flight, the cost of not receiving points or status etc., the cost of the extra night away because your need to be flexible with your flights etc.

True....but I seem to be lucky in being able to get flights where I want to go....and for a family of 5 each time.

Certainly not always......

But have just this week booked for New Caledonia over Easter which is also School Holidays (admitedlly March is a wet month, but is also a pleasant 28).

The difference between the cheapest flight I could find inc taxes and redemption inc taxes was $2779.95 which at a cost of 180,000 points represents 1.54 cents per point.

I don't use redemptions where I cannot achieve a reasonably high rate of cents per point.

I also do not use the AMEX or VISA if I can get things cheaper for cash.

However your "scheme" of 0.7 to "earn" say 1.5 plus is an interesting one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back