Pay bill through Paypal by using Amex card, but still only receive 0.5 rewards points

Status
Not open for further replies.

newstech

Hi

I own a Amex Business Accelerator Card issued by Amex and have gone through a terrible experience on receiving the rewards points.

I used Australia Post BPAY and link this card to PAYPAL. but only received 0.5 points per dollars spend instead of 2 points (for first $50,000.00). I have a online chat with Amex customer service guys Cyprus but the guy only keep saying spending on Government Bodies only attract 0.5 points, and PAYPAL is justa transaction gateway and do not count.

I have replied technically speaking I am only paying PAYPAL and not directly to any merchant, but he just not listening to this and insist we can only get 0.5 points, even in our statement the transcation show something like "PAYPAL*AP 35314369001" only.

Is there anybody have any similar experience? And any advice to change that?

If not, I may need to cancel the card while I mostly use this card to pay the bill through Post BillPay.

Unfortunately and recently yes PostBill Payments now only earn 0.5 MR/$ rather than the 2MR/$ that they were earning.

Where companies have direct PayPal connections you still eran 2MR/$.

Unfortunately and recently yes PostBill Payments now only earn 0.5 MR/$ rather than the 2MR/$ that they were earning.

Where companies have direct PayPal connections you still eran 2MR/$.

Did this apply to all Amex Cards, including Amex Ultimate?

Did this apply to all Amex Cards, including Amex Ultimate?

Yes the change was that paying this way now earns at the Amex Rate for Australia Post. So whatever that particular cards earns at Australia Post is what you will now receive.

I suspect that RewardPay talked to Amex about this, so everyone has to use their service to earn full point instead of 0.5 pts through postbillpay.

They are trying to close all the ways and loopholes we can earn points and use their service with 2.4% fee, no thanks, I’ll never use and keep finding the way to pay tax bills and government bills and still get full point.

I suspect that RewardPay talked to Amex about this, so everyone has to use their service to earn full point instead of 0.5 pts through postbillpay.

They are trying to close all the ways and loopholes we can earn points and use their service with 2.4% fee, no thanks, I’ll never use and keep finding the way to pay tax bills and government bills and still get full point.

surely at some point you would value your time more?

Probably not overtly as this would trigger Competition Law issues.

My last Telstra bill, which I paid the normal way using Paypal direct from my online Telstra account, has only earned 0.5ppd.

It looks as though they have found a way to detect utility payments even when made via Paypal. Grrrrr!!!!!

My last Telstra bill, which I paid the normal way using Paypal direct from my online Telstra account, has only earned 0.5ppd.

It looks as though they have found a way to detect utility payments even when made via Paypal. Grrrrr!!!!!

I can confirm that this has not been the case for me for a Telstra bill paid 11 days ago. Will report back on my next bill.

Capture.PNG

Just checked my MR transactions. Have recently paid SYDNEY Water & Telstra using PayPal with Explorer. Full points awarded.

I asked Amex about this n
On the weekend. The rep I spoke with said that Post Bill Pay will attract lower points as it’s a ‘government charge’. PayPal I was told was ok. Appears this is valid for Explorer not for other cards with ‘utilities’ as lower points earning category.

Interesting. You must be using an Explorer for 2ppd. I use my Charge which used to yield 1ppd, but not so this last time.

Correct, Explorer. This, in conjunction with what @albyd said seems to imply the Charge is getting snuffed? And yet another reason not to get that card...but let's see if this can be verified a number of times before passing judgement.

If however true, I wonder why the Explorer gets the special treatment.

I think the difference is that Explorer only reduces earn for ‘government’ spend. Insurance and utilities are not reduced earn categories on Explorer. Just a matter of different product features compared to the Charge. I’ll need to ensure I didn’t use Post BillPay anymore with Amex Explorer based On post #2.

I get 2ppd paying Telstra direct with Amex Explorer (linked) and for no fee. (have double checked again for this month).

I get 2ppd paying Telstra direct with Amex Explorer (linked) and for no fee. (have double checked again for this month).

Telstra normally adds the CC fee onto your next bill, and not at the time of payment. So let us know once you have reviewed you next bill.

Telstra normally adds the CC fee onto your next bill, and not at the time of payment. So let us know once you have reviewed you next bill.
Been paying like this for about 2 years - direct debit to Amex. X2 contacts. No fees.

Last edited:

That's because the Explorer does not have reduced earn rates for utilities. For those with a Charge, Edge or Reserve, using Paypal was the way to score full points (1ppd) as opposed to 0.5ppd. That loophole now appears to be closed(ing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back