Partner Award Multi-Sector Mixed Class - Baggage allowances?

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by MrHanky, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. MrHanky

MrHanky Intern

Jun 11, 2010
    Hey all,

Have a question regarding baggage allowance on QF Partner Classic Awards..

I've booked a sector HKG-LHR with BA in F and have been eyeing off availability of J awards with QF/CX from MEL-HKG with the intention of bolting this on to the start of my journey.

I've read up all I can find about baggage, and it seems that under IATA 302 the "MSC" rules apply for multi-carrier journeys, but it doesn't mention anything about mixed class travel.

BA allow 3x 32kgs from HKG-LHR in F (very generous!). Given that there's no F cabin from MEL-HKG, the best I can hope for is a J award on the day I need (have booked one for my partner, but still holding out for one for myself...) - failing that, I'll have to book it in Y. In either of these circumstances, will I receive my full F baggage allowance as it's part of the same itinerary and this is the first sector crossing IATA zones?

Many thanks!

2. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    By bolting you mean having it ticketed on the one ticket?? That would result in being charged F points for your J journey.

3. TheDan

TheDan Intern

Apr 18, 2013
    Canberra
    Facebook:
    My understanding is that as long as HKG remains a transit rather than a stopover, the most significant carrier rule will give you F luggage allowance on the Australia flight, even if one different PNR

4. MrHanky

MrHanky Intern

Jun 11, 2010
    This might be the case for through-connections, but when I search for a multi-sector journey e.g. MEL-HKG, <stop>, HKG-LAX I can pick Y for 1 sector, followed by J for the next sector (for example) - in this case I only pay the respective points for each leg.

Found this after digging through the carrier conditions for CX - my partner is booked on CX MEL-HKG <stop> followed by HKG-YYZ in J (both classic awards on the same PNR)

However, this still doesn't clarify what applies for itineraries containing multiple booking classes... The response I got from QF on the phone was pretty much "YMMV" (lol). I was hoping that maybe IATA 302 (MSC) ruling would apply? Maybe I'm being optimistic :p