Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Gold
Oneworld
Ruby
Star Alliance
Silver
Im currently in Singapore and had some issues with my Mastercard when i arrived at my hotel late at night. I agreed with the person at the desk I would supply my Amex details but they would not charge it, and i would reset my Mastercard pin and sort it out in the morning.

In the morning i went the the front desk and gave her my Mastercard and asked her to pay the hotel bill but for some reason she charged the Amex, realised her mistake, reversed it and then charged my Mastercard. On my Amex account i can see both transactions but the issue is, the commission of 139 was not refunded.

I have lodged a dispute with Amex but wondered if anyone one here has had a similar issue with Amex and if so, was it resolved favourably?

Mine was an ANZ bank transaction. That's my backup to 28 degrees, not the Amex. Amex should come to the party if you chat or call them
Chat wouldnt have a bar of it, just said fax or email the dispute team. If i dont hear anything ill call when back in Australia. The automated reply when i lodged the dispute said they reply by 28 Sept at the latest 🤔😟

$139 is a lot of money!

Handy tip in these circumstances is to have the transaction voided, rather than refunded. Voiding puts you back in the position as if it never happened, and voids all commissions and exchange rate issues. Refunding is subject to any fluctuations or commissions.

Many years ago an error appeared on my statement. The bank advised not to contact the merchant for a refund, but rather to let the bank void the transaction… to avoid any losses.

Generally, with Amex, the currency conversion fee is non-refundable. In essence, the fee applies when it is charged, but is not applied for a refund.

(I thought there was a previous thread around on this. but couldn't find it)

Update: I havent heard back from Amex but there is now a credit adjustment showing on my account for the amount of the currency conversion. No idea if it was in response to the dispute i filed but its certainly good news to know it can be fixed for other who may experience this issue.

Handy tip in these circumstances is to have the transaction voided, rather than refunded. Voiding puts you back in the position as if it never happened, and voids all commissions and exchange rate issues. Refunding is subject to any fluctuations or commissions.

Many years ago an error appeared on my statement. The bank advised not to contact the merchant for a refund, but rather to let the bank void the transaction… to avoid any losses.

Never knew the bank could “void” a transaction. Do you know if it is across all banks or just Amex?

If we’re able to void any forex transaction at will, that give us a risk free money making machine.

Never knew the bank could “void” a transaction. Do you know if it is across all banks or just Amex?

If we’re able to void any forex transaction at will, that give us a risk free money making machine.
There has to be a good reason to void the transaction… for example a duplicate, or fraudulent transaction.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back