OneWorld vs Star Alliance

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dazzler, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Dazzler

Dazzler Junior Member

Jul 12, 2004
    SYD
    Hi,

I am currently trying to collate feedback on the Oneworld/Star Alliance. Particuarly about fare prices. Can anyone help me by providing their experiences/feelings on this topic??

Thanks,
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Dazzler

2. Guest

Guest Guest

oneworld !== star alliance

star alliance, especially RTW airfares are some of the cheapest in the world ex. Australia.

oneworld is not cheap.

3. MetroAir

MetroAir Guest

4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Most people choose an alliance (if they choose one at all) based on where they need to go, and what airlines they prefer to fly.

Some parts of the world are hard to travel around on one alliance or the other.

There's a ton of good information on FlyerTalk's OW and *A forums.

5. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
  6. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Over the past twelve months I've purchased a number of tickets for myself and colleagues for travel to Asia and one RTW, and Star Alliance has come up with better pricing in each instance.

7. MetroAir

MetroAir Guest

Don't you????

Can you point me to the thread that tells how so?

Cheers

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Looks like some confusion here. Here is my understanding - hope it clarifies.

If you want to buy a RTW, it can be bought from anywhere (not quite true due to first segment departure rule - a classic example being ex-Zimbabwe there being no *A service meant the fare wasnt updated and looked really cheap but cannot use it).

However, if want to buy at the cheaper Tongan rate (for example), then needs to be purchased through a Tongan TA (or airline ticket office).

The various *A RTW products I have seen (and I presume most/all other RTW products) require the first segment to start in the country of purchase. In this example would need to be TBU- (AKL or LAX or ...).

However, nothing stopping anyone arranging ticket by phone/email/whatever with the Tongan TA (or airline ticket office) while still in Australia or wherever.

9. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Correct, however you still need to commence your RTW from the Country of purchase.

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I think I said that in the previous para.

11. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Probably not for much longer when South African enters the alliance. Zim will be an option then!!

12. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yep, you did. :oops:

My Bad! :( (I must learn to read better )

Please accept my Apologies.

13. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Yup bet that will be closed down v quick