Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

OneWorld vs Star Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzler

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
13
Hi,

I am currently trying to collate feedback on the Oneworld/Star Alliance. Particuarly about fare prices. Can anyone help me by providing their experiences/feelings on this topic??

Thanks,

Dazzler
 
G

Guest

Guest
Dazzler said:
Hi,

I am currently trying to collate feedback on the Oneworld/Star Alliance. Particuarly about fare prices. Can anyone help me by providing their experiences/feelings on this topic??

Thanks,

Dazzler
oneworld !== star alliance

star alliance, especially RTW airfares are some of the cheapest in the world ex. Australia.

oneworld is not cheap.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Dazzler said:
Hi,

I am currently trying to collate feedback on the Oneworld/Star Alliance. Particuarly about fare prices. Can anyone help me by providing their experiences/feelings on this topic??

Thanks,

Dazzler
Most people choose an alliance (if they choose one at all) based on where they need to go, and what airlines they prefer to fly.

Some parts of the world are hard to travel around on one alliance or the other.

There's a ton of good information on FlyerTalk's OW and *A forums.
 
Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Over the past twelve months I've purchased a number of tickets for myself and colleagues for travel to Asia and one RTW, and Star Alliance has come up with better pricing in each instance.
 
M

MetroAir

Guest
You don't actually have to GO there to BUY your ticket.

Don't you????

Can you point me to the thread that tells how so?

Cheers
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Looks like some confusion here. Here is my understanding - hope it clarifies.

If you want to buy a RTW, it can be bought from anywhere (not quite true due to first segment departure rule - a classic example being ex-Zimbabwe there being no *A service meant the fare wasnt updated and looked really cheap but cannot use it).

However, if want to buy at the cheaper Tongan rate (for example), then needs to be purchased through a Tongan TA (or airline ticket office).

The various *A RTW products I have seen (and I presume most/all other RTW products) require the first segment to start in the country of purchase. In this example would need to be TBU- (AKL or LAX or ...).

However, nothing stopping anyone arranging ticket by phone/email/whatever with the Tongan TA (or airline ticket office) while still in Australia or wherever.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,141
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
... However, nothing stopping anyone arranging ticket by phone/email/whatever with the Tongan TA (or airline ticket office) while still in Australia or wherever.
Correct, however you still need to commence your RTW from the Country of purchase.
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
11,310
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Looks like some confusion here. Here is my understanding - hope it clarifies.

If you want to buy a RTW, it can be bought from anywhere (not quite true due to first segment departure rule - a classic example being ex-Zimbabwe there being no *A service meant the fare wasnt updated and looked really cheap but cannot use it).
Probably not for much longer when South African enters the alliance. Zim will be an option then!!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
dajop said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
Looks like some confusion here. Here is my understanding - hope it clarifies.

If you want to buy a RTW, it can be bought from anywhere (not quite true due to first segment departure rule - a classic example being ex-Zimbabwe there being no *A service meant the fare wasnt updated and looked really cheap but cannot use it).
Probably not for much longer when South African enters the alliance. Zim will be an option then!!
Yup bet that will be closed down v quick
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,400
Messages
2,087,423
Members
53,785
Latest member
carsonjohn404
Top