Nice wines I have drunk recently - Red or White | Page 463 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Nice wines I have drunk recently - Red or White

afro

It's been a long time between drinks - or at least posts - here for me, so be prepared for quite a few wines :)

First up are mostly chardonnays from Dan's clearance, with the notable exceptions of Dexter and Drumborg:

View attachment 181670

View attachment 181676

View attachment 181671

Highlights were Lethbridge and Kumeu, with honourable mentions to Scorpo and Voyager, whilst Dexter and Mentelle remain favourites

Next are two from my cellar that had been waiting to be opened and were for my son's birthday:

View attachment 181667

The 864 was perhaps one of the last top Yarra chardonnays that I had yet tasted, but wanting to as so far I have enjoyed them from elsewhere more - now having done so, I can say that I like good Yarra chardonnays with significant age, but still seem to prefer those from Mornington, Hunter, Adelaide Hills, Margaret River

I've recently started drinking the Dan's clearance pinots, with the standouts so far being Victorian:

View attachment 181677

View attachment 181674

Others out of the cellar from past purchases elsewhere:

View attachment 181673

View attachment 181668

The Heirloom was an early WineMarket mystery from five years ago, whilst the Punt Road 2015 and Bay of Fires 2017 are probably my biggest buys of those vintages, along with Hoddles Creek

Lastly for the time being since I can apparently only attach ten files to a post, other varieties:

View attachment 181675

View attachment 181669

The Uberblanc, Mentelle, Gomas were all fantastic as usual, whilst the Collector was/is deliciously ready to drink now and purchased during dinner at Downstairs Bistro & Lounge in Southbank pre-concert/theatre (recommended, the special wine and cheese list has better wines at better value than their drinks list, including a single site/block Dalrymple pinot noir which I had), though I also have a bottle in the cellar - the Yalumba great value at <$10

I sincerely hope not and it's just bottle variation as I still have one in my cellar :)

The Voyager just pipped the Mount Mary for me, though the Kumeu was also good - and I'm not being biased just because I brought them :)
that dexter also produce great pinot year in and out.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
The selection in the AY Platinum Wing at HEL tonight. Had a couple of glasses of Champagne, then just a tasting of the six non-Australian reds. Mostly didn’t rock my world greatly. I enjoyed the Rioja most, followed by the Montepulciano.

2C6F29DE-88AB-482B-AA2B-D0310456CBB3.jpeg402D3B4A-BF01-4268-8ADA-657B7F9C7A9B.jpegCFE76A72-176F-4CC9-AF12-743846635312.jpeg

tielec

Is there anything worse than seeing bottles in your cellar pop up in this thread with no tasting notes?

Well, obviously yes, but don't keep your thoughts to yourself. I love hearing from educated palates on these wines, and particularly how they are travelling.

marki

Established Member
AFF Supporter
palmaz 2014, FROM NAPA VALLEY CALIFORNIA, BEST WINE EVER. NEVER TASTED ANYTHING BETTER SAD THAT IT IS not available in Australia sorry not shouting just stuck caps lock. Please can anybody import me a bottle from the states? :p

Last edited:

TomVexille

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Is there anything worse than seeing bottles in your cellar pop up in this thread with no tasting notes?

Well, obviously yes, but don't keep your thoughts to yourself. I love hearing from educated palates on these wines, and particularly how they are travelling.
I'll apologise in advance. I do not plan on having an educated palate ;)

Daver6

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Hoped to celebrate the Wallabies today, but it wasn't to be. A recent BWS special that at least kicked goals and scored lots of points. The Prunotto double decanted and will be enjoyed with dinner a little later tonight

20190817_154943.jpg

20190817_173753.jpg

Major

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I know I've said it before but Langhorne Creek wines are fantastic.
This Malbec is delicious. I have not tasted a top South American Malbec to compare but this wine should be right up there. Very smooth, great nose and still plenty of life left

20190819_083625.jpg

Cruiser Elite

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
No pics but we had a special evening in MEL last night starting at European on Spring St - we shared a bottle of Taittinger Prelude - SQ did stock this as J Champs a few years back - I had forgotten just how beautiful this is and I have none in the cellar which I will remedy pronto.

boomy

AFF Supporter
No pics but we had a special evening in MEL last night starting at European on Spring St - we shared a bottle of Taittinger Prelude - SQ did stock this as J Champs a few years back - I had forgotten just how beautiful this is and I have none in the cellar which I will remedy pronto.
How does it compare to Folies de la Marquetterie?
Was wondering as they are both as similar price range.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt cha ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
commoncelebrity