New Westpac Offer for Singapore Airlines Platinum Cardholders

Status
Not open for further replies.

carineglades

We have a Singapore Airlines Platinum Visa Card. It used to have an add on Amex card, however as we are retired we don't spend enough so that was removed. We earn miles directly from Krisflyer each month on a $ spend.

Today we were sent a new Westpac offer by post. They are simplifying their cc range and are no longer offering our card.

We have managed to hang on to this card for as long as possible as we find it is easy to redeem flights at a reasonable miles rate and availability is good.

Westpac are now offering us the Altitude Black Mastercard, we can direct earned Altitude points to Krisflyer or any other airline. An accelerated redemption rate with airlines $1 spend to 6 Altitude points to 3 Krisflyer miles, certain retailers $1 spend 2 Altitude points to 1 Krisflyer mile, as well as on other eligible purchases for $1 results in 1.25 altitude points converts to .625 Krisflyer of a mile.

They offer 2 complimentary airport lounge access priority passes. I don't think this is a business club lounge! Lots of kids admitted free. Although they don't mention it the annual fee is $250.

We must convert Altitude points to Krysfler miles. Still offering complimentary travel insurance (just reading the fine print) I always pay about $1000 pa for my husband anyway as he has a heart condition.

As no one is travelling probably for the next year what good is complimentary lounge access and who's buying flights to earn these bonus points?

We realise the airlines have been hit hard but has Westpac? $250 for annual fee seems a bit much also. Hopefully my husband can negotiate this down. It seems we have to change, no bonus points/miles offer to do so.

Any thoughts from other cardholders?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat. Have held onto the Krisflyer Visa for a long time. Now that I have to find an alternative, I will need to compare their offer which is essentially 0.625 KF points per $, to other cards on the market. The advantage is the ability to warehouse Altitude points indefinitely and the fact that we do not need to apply - the new MasterCard is automatic and with the same limit as the old Krisflyer card.
Now for some research...

Thanks for your post. SIA Krysflyer IMHO has always been streets ahead of Qantas in convenience of travelling to Europe and Asia as well as the miles needed have always been much less than Qantas however I have noticed that SIA has increased miles requirements considerably when I looked this week. I have not checked Qantas for a while.

Yep, a good thing is that we don't need to apply for the new card...another possibility is perhaps my card may be damaged or lost...... Not a ling term solution however.... 😜 we have also always negotiated our fees down since Westpac took our add on Amex card away a few years ago.
My husband won't leave Westpac however I did notice HSBC a few years back were selling a Krysflyer card that may be a possibility, they do have some local branches.
We will sit and wait and plan our next move when our cards arrive. Good luck!

The only better deal I can find is St Georges Bank / Bank of Melbourne with 0.75 KF points / $ spent.
Points Hack has a link with current bonus 200,000 points
Thanks

Just on the lounge access, Priority Pass can be used for access to the Rex Lounge in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide even if you're not flying with Rex (which are OK, but nothing to write home about).

You should also be able to use the Priority Pass for 2x$36 airport meals instead of the lounge if you'd prefer (as I think it's only AMEX that blocks the restaurants from its members, not Westpac). See the Priority Pass site for airports and locations.

That gives you a $72 value to start off with, so given the $250 annual fee, that puts the cost at $178 for everything else.

Thanks for your input. Will keep it in mind. With the latest covid outbreak we. may not be flying for a while.....so will sit tight and hopefully negotiate any changes and fees with Westpac.

The letter from Westpac irritated me, they simply dumped us and forced the Altitude Black Mastercard without even a phone call to discuss options. Looking forward to hearing on what card the rest of you guys will settle for. Do you know if the cancellation was Westpac driven SQ driven?

So Westpac have sent me the replacement Altitude Black Mastercard but I have been holding off activating card. Today I Just got this email offer-

Activate and spend to receive bonus points
Until 29 October 2021, earn double Altitude Points on all eligible transactions made with your new Mastercard and 5,000 bonus points on your first transaction, up to a total of 120,000 points.6
6. This offer is only available to the addressee of this communication. Earn 5,000 bonus Altitude Points on your first transaction once your card is activated and also double points on all eligible transactions between 31 July 2021 and 29 October 2021 inclusive (the “promotion period”), up to total of 120,000 Altitude Points on eligible transactions including the first transaction bonus. Eligible Purchases include purchases made on your card account but exclude certain transactions such as payments to the Australian Taxation Office, interest, fees and charges (including GST payable on any of these), cash advances, cash equivalent transactions, BPAY payments, refunds and balance transfers. The bonus points will be credited at the end of the relevant statement cycle. This promotion is not available in conjunction with any other promotion and may be varied or withdrawn at any time, including if you apply to transfer to a different card product or rewards program during the promotion period. How you earn and redeem Altitude Points is subject to the Altitude Terms and Conditions, available at westpac.com.au/ccrewards.

Attachments

• WPC.jpg
    WPC.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 13
So Westpac have sent me the replacement Altitude Black Mastercard but I have been holding off activating card. Today I Just got this email offer-

Activate and spend to receive bonus points
Until 29 October 2021, earn double Altitude Points on all eligible transactions made with your new Mastercard and 5,000 bonus points on your first transaction, up to a total of 120,000 points.6
6. This offer is only available to the addressee of this communication. Earn 5,000 bonus Altitude Points on your first transaction once your card is activated and also double points on all eligible transactions between 31 July 2021 and 29 October 2021 inclusive (the “promotion period”), up to total of 120,000 Altitude Points on eligible transactions including the first transaction bonus. Eligible Purchases include purchases made on your card account but exclude certain transactions such as payments to the Australian Taxation Office, interest, fees and charges (including GST payable on any of these), cash advances, cash equivalent transactions, BPAY payments, refunds and balance transfers. The bonus points will be credited at the end of the relevant statement cycle. This promotion is not available in conjunction with any other promotion and may be varied or withdrawn at any time, including if you apply to transfer to a different card product or rewards program during the promotion period. How you earn and redeem Altitude Points is subject to the Altitude Terms and Conditions, available at westpac.com.au/ccrewards.
Hi Sethor,
Received my Altitude Black Master Card last month, looks like they'll try not to honour the extra perks like 150000 Altitude Points and $100 less first annual fee!!?? Queried this on phone and at WP branch. We'll see what happens!? Arguing it's only a replacement card not a new one!! 🤔
Any body else the same experience?? Had the Platinum Card before!!

Hi Sethor,
Received my Altitude Black Master Card last month, looks like they'll try not to honour the extra perks like 150000 Altitude Points and $100 less first annual fee!!?? Queried this on phone and at WP branch. We'll see what happens!? Arguing it's only a replacement card not a new one!! 🤔
Any body else the same experience?? Had the Platinum Card before!!
Same here, Westpac didn't give a rats - take it or leave it attitude and make sure the door does not hit you in the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back