New surcharge for corpate card rewards membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschmid

Got a letter from AMEX today telling me about a $89 p.a. linkage fee for my Corporate Card to membership rewards Ascent.

I have not paid any fee for this in the past 5 years. Is AMEX now starting to get cracy and look for new way to squeeze money out of their cardhorlders?

Has anybody a similar exprience?

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
aschmid said:
Got a letter from AMEX today telling me about a $89 p.a. linkage fee for my Corporate Card to membership rewards Ascent.

I have not paid any fee for this in the past 5 years. Is AMEX now starting to get cracy and look for new way to squeeze money out of their cardhorlders?

Has anybody a similar exprience?

I suspect that you may have been lucky.

Everyone that I know with a Corporate Card linked to rewards, (approx 25 people) has been hit for the $89 for at least the last 2 years. Mine dropped to $55 this year when I linked it with my Platinum Card rewards.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Solutions
I only recently got a corporate card, and when I enquired about joining it, I was told about the fee (which was something like $80). I might follow them up again as I have changed to a platinum Credit card since that time, and maybe it is now cheaper.

aschmid

I am holding a Platinum Credit card as well and the Membership Rewards Ascent is included in that.

I don't think it's fair that I have to pay twice. If I assume that about $80 of my Platinum card fee are going to the rewards program plus another $89 for linking my corporate card that's about $160 a year!

In my opinion a rewards program should be exactly that - a reward for being a cardholder. Charging an enormous fee for it kind of defeats the purpuse of a rewards program, doesn't it?

aus_flyer

Established Member
I've got an Amex that has no fees whatsoever - and yes, I get QF FF points!

And a guarantee of no fees for life!

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Solutions
odoherty said:

Is this through some deal that us mere mortals have access to?

Damien

Think yourself lucky. My corporate card cannot be linked to the rewards scheme because of some deal the company negotiated with Amex.

It brings me to tears when I think of all the extra points I could have right now. :(

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
aschmid said:
I am holding a Platinum Credit card as well and the Membership Rewards Ascent is included in that.

I don't think it's fair that I have to pay twice. If I assume that about $80 of my Platinum card fee are going to the rewards program plus another $89 for linking my corporate card that's about $160 a year!

In my opinion a rewards program should be exactly that - a reward for being a cardholder. Charging an enormous fee for it kind of defeats the purpuse of a rewards program, doesn't it?

Maybe I should clarify what I said a little.

As per your post my Platinum Card has free rewards. My Corporate Card has a fee of $89 IF I wish to use the QF rewards program. If I link the two rewards programs then the $89 fee for my Corporate Card is reduced to $55. ie the total rewards fee becomes $55. This was organised through the Platinum desk and was offered when I simply asked about linking the two programs.

Good luck,

jakeseven7

Solutions
oz_mark said:
odoherty said:

yes... most people can access... at a cost.... do the math but if you intend to stay with amex it may add up for you:

http://www.apesma.asn.au/

click on member services and amex gold card

beardoc

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
oz_mark said:

I suspect he might be referring to the Amex Gold cards that are given to various professional organisations, like the AMA. I have one at the moment, but I'm about to ditch it for the Platinum credit card (which they'll give me for $295 rather than the usual $395).

Status
Not open for further replies.