New QF Amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesF

Intern
Hi All,

Saw this link this morning on the Herald Website to a new Qantas American Express card:

Link

Is this anything worthwhile, or just another form of a rewards maximiser card?

Nice looking cards though!

James

Similar to other cards, but the points are automtically transferred each month across to you QFF account. More focussed on the QF side of things than there other cards.

umm, I am considering the middle one 'premium', as it gives you 2 free entries into the Qantas pub a year. Without having to pay the annual membership. Twice a year isn't much though is it??? You earn slightly more points than the basic one too. The expensive one 'ultimate' gives you free flights, but you are in effect paying for them due to the high cost of the card - although you do get more points.

Amex is gradually getting more widely accepted, due to the high profits the banks earn in commission, hence all the major banks also issuing amex cards & heavily promoting them. However, they still aren't as widely accepted as much as Mastercard or Visa in Australia.

Guess I need to think about it some more. Does anyone reckon that the new QF Amex cards are worth it or should I keep my Altitude cards that I get for free?

Looking at the cards and my personal situtation:

AMEX Rewards Maximiser gives greater value at $144 per year for 1.5 points per $1 spend against the AMEX Premium card at $195 per year and only 1.25 points per $1 spend. 2 free QP passes is nice - but really does not add much value to the card. Pay $50 more a year for a general .25 points less earning - don't think so!

AMEX Platinum Credit card also gives greater value at $395 per year against the AMEX Ultimate Card. The additional benefits that a Platinum Card offers outways the potential point earnings of the Ultimate Card. The facility to use points on other airlines is also an added bonus for the Platinum Card, including the exclusive Platinum services.

All in all, I think avid watchers of new cards (like those you find on these forums :D ) will identify that these dont offer the same/(better) rewards as other AMEX cards.

QFTravel is spot on. Why pay more for less benefits and, as mentioned, the rewards maximiser and Plat card allows you to t/f points to several FF programs whereas it would appear this new card only allows for points to be transferred direct to your QF account.

Brief outline of the three cards:

http://www.americanexpress.com/aust...ID=36&BUID=CCG&AFFID=TBirdQantas&CRTV=Banners

CARD 1:
The Qantas American Express Credit Card

You can accelerate your Qantas Frequent Flyer points earning power with the card that helps your points take to the skies.

* Earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point1 for every dollar spent every day using your Credit Card
* Earn 1 additional point1 for every dollar spent on your Card with Qantas2 on Qantas services.
* Card fee of $95 per annum & $30 per Supplementary Card per annum

CARD 2:
The Qantas American Express Premium Credit Card

Prepare your Qantas Frequent Flyer points for take-off with the Credit Card that offers the best of both worlds: a superior points earning rate and Premium rewards and privileges.

* Earn 1.25 Qantas Frequent Flyer points1 for every dollar spent every day using your Credit Card
* Earn 1 additional point1 for every dollar spent on your Card with Qantas2 on Qantas services.
* 2 Qantas Club Invitations3 every year when you first spend with Qantas2 on Qantas services that year.
* Card fee of $195 per annum & $30 per Supplementary Card per annum

CARD 3:
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Credit Card

The Ultimate Credit Card is designed to help you make the most of your travelling lifestyle. It's the card that helps your Qantas Frequent Flyer points go places fast.

* Earn 1.5 Qantas Frequent Flyer points1 for every dollar spent every day using your Credit Card
* A Qantas domestic return flight4 on one of a number of routes every year when you first spend with Qantas2 on Qantas services that year
* Card fee of $395 per annum & Supplementary Cards at no extra cost

Conditions:
1 You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. A joining fee applies. Membership is subject to the terms and conditions of the program. Award seats are limited and may not be available on every flight.

2 To be eligible, spend must be on the Qantas merchant account in Australia and does not include Australian Airlines, Jetstar or Qantas Holidays. Points Terms and Conditions apply.

3 Invitations are for Premium Cardmembers and are valid for Qantas operated lounges only and are not valid for oneworld™ alliance airline, partner airlines lounges or associated lounges. Each invitation is valid for a single visit before the date specified on the invitation, when travelling with Qantas, Australian Airlines or Jetstar. Qantas club rules apply. Qantas Club Invitations Conditions apply.

4 The Qantas domestic return flight in economy class is available for booking by Ultimate Cardmembers from 01 April 2006. Availability is limited and seats may not be available on all flights. Route availability is subject to change without notice. All travel is subject to Qantas' Conditions of Carriage. No Qantas Frequent Flyer points will be awarded for travel on these flights. Domestic Return Flight Conditions apply.

Out of all the cards, perhaps the Ultimate one would be interesting but the AU$395 cost is a bit on the high side. Set that off against a return flight between domestic destinations (cheap avg ~$300 MEL-SYD-MEL) then it may seem a bit more reasonable but I will wait for Qantas to send it's SG and WP mambers some sort of super special discount to join.

If the yearly cost of the Ultimate card drops to the <AU$200 range then I will get it just for the flight and 7,500 points I will most definitely qualify for.

I already have a Gold Maximiser card with it's free yearly fee. When this runs out I will simply call AmEx again and say that I will drop the card unless they give it to me for free for another year.

Regards
Daniel

thanks for the advise danielh & QF travel>>>

looks like an AMEX maximiser is worth investigating. Ta for your input - much appreciated. :D

So it seems with the "ultimate" card you have purchase a Qantas flight before they'll give you your free flight. Does the Amex Platnium also have that? Or is it only on this QF one?

Good point, the AmEx platinum has a free flight as well.

Kinda reduces the differences a lot.

Regards
Daniel

Here's the flight that are available with the Ultimate Card;

Departure City/Arrival Cities
Adelaide/ Brisbane Melbourne Sydney
Brisbane/ Adelaide Melbourne Sydney
Melbourne/ Adelaide Brisbane Sydney
Perth/ Adelaide Melbourne Sydney
Sydney/ Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne
Canberra/ Melbourne Sydney

Maybe okay if you travelled to/from Perth

All Flights are subject to availability and neither American Express nor
Qantas guarantee that seats or tickets will be available on the dates or at
the times you may wish to fly. Seat availability may be limited to certain
dates and/or flights.

What are they thinking????????

Is Qantas aware 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of merchants in Aus don't accept AMEX???

Not worth it in my imho. Plus when virgin atlantic becomes on board with the 1:1 thing, i know who i'll be flying....

qantas syd to hong kong:
- econony - 60,000
- business - 120,000
- first - 180,000

virgin atlantic to hong kong
- economy - 45,000
- premium economy - 54,000
- upper class - 80,000

qantas syd to london
- economy - 128,000
- business - 256,000
- first - 384,000

virgin atlantic to london
- economy - 105,000
- premium economy - 126,000
- upper class - 180,000

the only problem is that id just transferred all my points to qantas. grr... angry angry!

I noticed, that the "Ultimate" card will only allow for a Sydney to Adelaide / return trip.... whereas, the AMEX PLAT card will allow Sydney to Perth / return!

Same card cost of $395 /pa

Syd to Perth / return would be worth it?

Have I read this right?

regards,

Gordon said:
I noticed, that the "Ultimate" card will only allow for a Sydney to Adelaide / return trip.... whereas, the AMEX PLAT card will allow Sydney to Perth / return!

Same card cost of $395 /pa

Syd to Perth / return would be worth it?

Have I read this right?

regards,

Gordon, you read it right. As previously discussed above, the AMEX Plat Credit Card gives you an auto flight (incl. SYD-PER) included in the $395 price tag. The AMEX QF Ultimate Credit Card, makes you buy a flight first before giving you a freebie and then you are limited to the domestic legs you can take.

I don't know of it's as high as a third of merchants who daon't take Amex.
I have both AMex and Visa and maybe 1 in 20 don't take it.

If you only want to have one sole card then it may not be the ideal card, but if you have another 'back up' card it works well.

It looks like the higher tier Qantas card (Ultimate) is similar to my platinum benenfits, with a few subtle differences.
The Qantas Ultimate card gives one extra point per dollar on Qantas purchases.
The regular platinum card gives a couple of additional ports to use that free flight.
e.g. (ex SYD)
Ultimate: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne
Platinum: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth

Before anyone gets excited about the free return flight, I have tried to use mine a couple of times and seems it's the same fiasco as trying to find frequent flyer seats.
The free flight must be used within one year and you can't accumulate them.

The travel insurance is good if you travel alot for whatever reason, although it does not have include cover of mishaps with rental cars unlike many other travel insurance policies.
JASON

Like everyone else has said, it looks like this is less benefits for more money, particularly comparing the QANTAS Amex Ultimate Card with the Amex Platinum Credit Card.

Given they offer a $100 annual fee discount to professional organisations on the Platinum card, it will be interesting to see if they do that on the QANTAS card too.

I'm still eyeing off the Platinum card. I will be going to Perth this year - and and the idea of going to Perth from Sydney return for just $295 is irresistable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back