New Qantas trip noisier and dearer

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Yada Yada, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Smaller noisier aircraft? They forgot to mention the smooth ride! :shock:

That last paragraph got my attention!

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    New service? I flown in Crash8's (and indeed, 146s & 737's) many times between MEL & LST. ;)

As for the price, Sunday afternoon you can travel for as little as $62 on JQ, $199 on DJ and $129 on QF.

On Sunday Jan 14, the cheapest fares are $62 on JQ, $70 on DJ and $129 on QF.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Umm, smaller yes, but noisier? Certainly not from the outside. Or at least according to those that set the noise restrictions at Sydney airport where the prop services are excluded from the curfew and noise levy charges.

4. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I guess they are referring to the noise level inside the cabin?

No doubt that the Crash-8 is more of a "raw" aviation experience.

5. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The old BAe146 was often called "The Muffler", not only for the odour from the engine bleed air, but also due to the fact that it was noisier inside the aircraft than outside :p.

6. The article is bang on about the price difference etc. I would always prefer to fly Qantas and build up my points as well as make use of my QP membership (really just a tea and biscuit stop). But it's not enough to sway me from flying Virgin Blue, as I did last weekend for about half the price.Plus as we arrived at the airport in under 20mins from departure I was especially glad I did not book with JetStar!!!

7. ziggypop

ziggypop Junior Member

Jul 5, 2006
    We get crash-8s into and out of CBR. Nothing wrong with them. Can get a bit cramped for some. However, somehow I think that Qantas should have left the domestic brand alone as an individual entity and kept the mangy roo as the international flag. I liked Ta Ta and AA and Ansett and liked flying Kendell, good food and booze on them.

oh those were the days (the ancient crock said....:cool: )

8. Commuter

Commuter Active Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I've been joking that the reason why 146 is quiet is because its engines are under-powered. Like "1 airframe, 4 engines, needs 6" joke.