New CPA Platinum Credit Card. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

New CPA Platinum Credit Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbo

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
18
For those who would care, CPA has finally joined the others (CA, AMA, Law Soc) in providing an Amex Platinum Credit Card. $295 standard discount stuff. I'll change mine to that when my annual fee comes round!
 

aasz1978

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
126
I had an offer like that appx 2 years ago. Unless this is a relaunch, I'd stick to my contention that there is little point having an AMEX where appx 50% of retailers don't like them.

EDIT:

However, I'd like to know what do they mean by "Platinum Priority 24/7" because on their website (AMEX), they said "NO" on Concierge services.

Most platinum card offers this feature. To be fair however, very few give one free return flight per year.

Cheers

Alex
 

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
599
aasz1978 said:
I had an offer like that appx 2 years ago. Unless this is a relaunch, I'd stick to my contention that there is little point having an AMEX where appx 50% of retailers don't like them.

EDIT:

However, I'd like to know what do they mean by "Platinum Priority 24/7" because on their website (AMEX), they said "NO" on Concierge services.

Most platinum card offers this feature. To be fair however, very few give one free return flight per year.

Cheers

Alex
most serious points earners will have both an amex and a visa/mastercard. use the amex whereever possible (earning 1.5 points per dollar) and the visa/mastercard where the amex is not accepted.

whilst 30 or 50% of places may not accept amex, i find that most big places where i spend most of my money take amex, thus i can put 80% of my value of purchases on amex and 20% on visa/mastercard.
 

Nobby

Intern
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
50
However, I'd like to know what do they mean by "Platinum Priority 24/7" because on their website (AMEX), they said "NO" on Concierge services.
I asked about this, and was told that they have a dedicated Platinum Credit Card servicing team, based in Sydney, which is apparently made up of their more experienced people. You can call 24/7 and you'll be routed to this team.

No more Indian call centre and no more having to call during business hours (I always felt awkward talking about my finances when coworkers could overhear)
 

aasz1978

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
126
Nobby said:
I asked about this, and was told that they have a dedicated Platinum Credit Card servicing team, based in Sydney, which is apparently made up of their more experienced people. You can call 24/7 and you'll be routed to this team.

No more Indian call centre and no more having to call during business hours (I always felt awkward talking about my finances when coworkers could overhear)
Oh.... just a customer service hotline. I thought it would be like a quasi-concierge service.

Interesting, $295 to have a non-indian call centre but I should see $295 as for paying the yearly free return travel.

I can see some value in this card but I think I'll wait till CPA offers it via snail mail as they often do.

Interestingly, 5.99% is currently offered for balance transfer for the life of the balance transferred.
 

arun

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
311
I got the CPA offer yesterday. I have completed it and will be posting today. That means that I will not be renewing my CBA Platinum later this year.

BTW, someone in this board provided a link to a page in AMEX website, where you could enter the merchants that you use who do not accept AMEX. I sent the details of my son's school. They have started accepting AMEX from the next term. Not sure if it was just coincidence. But now the whole fees goes on to my AMEX gold (which will be Plat soon.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
arun said:
I sent the details of my son's school. They have started accepting AMEX from the next term. Not sure if it was just coincidence. But now the whole fees goes on to my AMEX gold (which will be Plat soon.
Yes, school fees can be a good litle points earner with a 1.5 multiplier on the right Amex cards!
 

aasz1978

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
126
arun said:
BTW, someone in this board provided a link to a page in AMEX website, where you could enter the merchants that you use who do not accept AMEX. I sent the details of my son's school. They have started accepting AMEX from the next term. Not sure if it was just coincidence. But now the whole fees goes on to my AMEX gold (which will be Plat soon.
Fair dinkum?
 

TonyB

Intern
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
67
For those who would care, CPA has finally joined the others (CA, AMA, Law Soc) in providing an Amex Platinum Credit Card. $295 standard discount stuff. I'll change mine to that when my annual fee comes round!


Law Society members (for whatever reason) only get offered AMEX Gold and not the platinum, I can only assume the average lawyer doesn't earn enough? :(
 

arun

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
311
I got my CPA AMEX Platinum with 4 days of applying. It is indeed a beauty. The Citibank and CBA Platinum cards looked more like "Silver". But this one is quite flashy. At least the check out girl at the local pharmacy marvelled at it!!!!
 

beardoc

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
1,632
Flights
My Map
aasz1978 said:
I had an offer like that appx 2 years ago. Unless this is a relaunch, I'd stick to my contention that there is little point having an AMEX where appx 50% of retailers don't like them.

Most platinum card offers this feature. To be fair however, very few give one free return flight per year.
It's the standard Platinum Credit Card, but at a discounted $295 annual fee. However, a flight from Sydney to Perth or similar for just the $295 annual fee is a pretty good deal, when they also throw in most other insurances and 1.5 AMEX points per dollar (which you can get on the Rewards Maximiser for $195/year now, without a lot of the other benefits!)
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,878
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Does anyone have a place that a poor bunny like me can get the card for $295 rather than the full cost :?:
 

arun

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
311
The CPA offer came through CPA. Unlike the rental car scheme (where you can quote a "borrowed" CPD#), I do not think there is a way to get this card if you do not belong to these societies.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,878
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
arun said:
The CPA offer came through CPA. Unlike the rental car scheme (where you can quote a "borrowed" CPD#), I do not think there is a way to get this card if you do not belong to these societies.
.....and the $100 extra is probably cheaper than joining, even if I could :!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,519
Messages
1,911,462
Members
50,294
Latest member
Veronnica
Top