New Amex Platinum Card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfrog86

So I have finally made the jump and got myself a Plat CC...

Was a little surprised to find that I had 'foundation member' printed on my card - after searching around I found this thread

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/amex-foundation-member-8570.html

Doesn't seem like we ever worked out what the deal was with this designation, and if its 2010 now I'm a little surprised that they're issuing these cards four years after the above members got their cards!!

Any thoughts FF'ers?

Oh and while I'm here I'm going to have a short grumble about how tight Amex appear to be with their credit policies... approve me for a card with an annual fee of 10% of my credit limit why don't you... how helpful :(

So I have finally made the jump and got myself a Plat CC...

Was a little surprised to find that I had 'foundation member' printed on my card - after searching around I found this thread

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/amex-foundation-member-8570.html

Doesn't seem like we ever worked out what the deal was with this designation, and if its 2010 now I'm a little surprised that they're issuing these cards four years after the above members got their cards!!

Any thoughts FF'ers?

Oh and while I'm here I'm going to have a short grumble about how tight Amex appear to be with their credit policies... approve me for a card with an annual fee of 10% of my credit limit why don't you... how helpful :(

Amex are notoriously stingy with their limits . . . I guess in their eyes the real high rollers will get charge cards

Gee Greenfrog the problem with this is AMEX wont allow your direct account with them to go into a credit balance.You can reload the card to the limit every 3 clear days by doing a phone payment which instantly reloads your account.
Bank branded AMEX cards are different and can go substantially into credit before you pay a large amount on the card.

Gee Greenfrog the problem with this is AMEX wont allow your direct account with them to go into a credit balance.You can reload the card to the limit every 3 clear days by doing a phone payment which instantly reloads your account.
Bank branded AMEX cards are different and can go substantially into credit before you pay a large amount on the card.
Gee I have only a gold amex at the moment(not a bank issued card) yet 3 times in the 6 months I have had it I have gone into credit via BPAY facility to pay larger bills.On the first occasion I got a notation on my account saying something like-you have accidentally overpaid your account.do you wish to have a refund?The last 2 occasions they have let it go without comment.

Yes, over time I've certainly noticed their resistance to giving practical credit limits :(

I can't say I've ever overpayed my account - although I'm good with my cards and always pay on time and use my card to manage my workflow so not practical to overpay just so I can use my card in the way I want...

Any thoughts though on Amex still putting foundation member status on cards many years since they were introduced into the market...?

PS - I was thinking about a Gold charge but figured Platt CC was better value for me... (And I'm certainly no high flyer!)

I've had the Platinum Credit Card for a few years now and the Gold before that, and the pre-approved credit limit increases keep flowing freely, the most recent being an increase of $15k. I'm not a huge spender by any means.

I seem to recall that when I got my first Amex the limit was generous but a little low for my liking, and they increased it with a phone call when I told them it was not practical and that I would just cancel the card.

Otherwise you might find the limit increase offers start flowing after you've had the card for 6-9 months.

Otherwise you might find the limit increase offers start flowing after you've had the card for 6-9 months.

I've had my card a bit over a year now and I've not received any offers to increase my credit limit -- that said, I only use the card for personal expenses, so a higher limit would probably be dangerous in any case..!

I've had my card a bit over a year now and I've not received any offers to increase my credit limit -- that said, I only use the card for personal expenses, so a higher limit would probably be dangerous in any case..!

You can go online and ask for them yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back