New Amex Platinum Card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfrog86

So I have finally made the jump and got myself a Plat CC...

Was a little surprised to find that I had 'foundation member' printed on my card - after searching around I found this thread

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/amex-foundation-member-8570.html

Doesn't seem like we ever worked out what the deal was with this designation, and if its 2010 now I'm a little surprised that they're issuing these cards four years after the above members got their cards!!

Any thoughts FF'ers?

Oh and while I'm here I'm going to have a short grumble about how tight Amex appear to be with their credit policies... approve me for a card with an annual fee of 10% of my credit limit why don't you... how helpful :(

So I have finally made the jump and got myself a Plat CC...

Was a little surprised to find that I had 'foundation member' printed on my card - after searching around I found this thread

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/amex-foundation-member-8570.html

Doesn't seem like we ever worked out what the deal was with this designation, and if its 2010 now I'm a little surprised that they're issuing these cards four years after the above members got their cards!!

Any thoughts FF'ers?

Oh and while I'm here I'm going to have a short grumble about how tight Amex appear to be with their credit policies... approve me for a card with an annual fee of 10% of my credit limit why don't you... how helpful :(

Amex are notoriously stingy with their limits . . . I guess in their eyes the real high rollers will get charge cards

Gee Greenfrog the problem with this is AMEX wont allow your direct account with them to go into a credit balance.You can reload the card to the limit every 3 clear days by doing a phone payment which instantly reloads your account.
Bank branded AMEX cards are different and can go substantially into credit before you pay a large amount on the card.

Gee Greenfrog the problem with this is AMEX wont allow your direct account with them to go into a credit balance.You can reload the card to the limit every 3 clear days by doing a phone payment which instantly reloads your account.
Bank branded AMEX cards are different and can go substantially into credit before you pay a large amount on the card.
Gee I have only a gold amex at the moment(not a bank issued card) yet 3 times in the 6 months I have had it I have gone into credit via BPAY facility to pay larger bills.On the first occasion I got a notation on my account saying something like-you have accidentally overpaid your account.do you wish to have a refund?The last 2 occasions they have let it go without comment.

Yes, over time I've certainly noticed their resistance to giving practical credit limits :(

I can't say I've ever overpayed my account - although I'm good with my cards and always pay on time and use my card to manage my workflow so not practical to overpay just so I can use my card in the way I want...

Any thoughts though on Amex still putting foundation member status on cards many years since they were introduced into the market...?

PS - I was thinking about a Gold charge but figured Platt CC was better value for me... (And I'm certainly no high flyer!)

I've had the Platinum Credit Card for a few years now and the Gold before that, and the pre-approved credit limit increases keep flowing freely, the most recent being an increase of $15k. I'm not a huge spender by any means.

I seem to recall that when I got my first Amex the limit was generous but a little low for my liking, and they increased it with a phone call when I told them it was not practical and that I would just cancel the card.

Otherwise you might find the limit increase offers start flowing after you've had the card for 6-9 months.

Otherwise you might find the limit increase offers start flowing after you've had the card for 6-9 months.

I've had my card a bit over a year now and I've not received any offers to increase my credit limit -- that said, I only use the card for personal expenses, so a higher limit would probably be dangerous in any case..!

I've had my card a bit over a year now and I've not received any offers to increase my credit limit -- that said, I only use the card for personal expenses, so a higher limit would probably be dangerous in any case..!

You can go online and ask for them yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back