New AMEX Business Explorer card: 100k bonus + 50k annual bonus + 2ppd, ends 2/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctore1003

AMEX has launched an excellent new business credit card, based on its popular Explorer consumer credit card.

The earn rate is 2 Membership Rewards Gateway points per dollar (0.5 for govt), with 8 airline transfer partners and 2 hotel partners.

Cardholders can get an extra 50k bonus points each year by hitting $100k in spending.

There’s also a lower interest rate of 16.99% on purchases.

The annual fee is $395 and the minimum spend for the 100k bonus is $3000 in 3 months.

More details are available here:

Get 100,000 bonus points with the AMEX Explorer Business Card

Surprised there are no other comments on this? I'm assuming that getting this card for my business will still earn me the 100,000 points bonus as my existing Amex card is a personal card and this will be the businesses card with an ABN associated etc.

A lot of trouble of getting this card, and when receiving it, a lousy credit limit of $3000 was offered, considering the amount we put through the card, it's horrible to work with.

Hi, I'm new here and thought I would sign up to the forums to give my experience of this card

I applied for this card about a month ago, I received the card in about a week, without any notification that I was approved.
Application was by phone, they called me back the day after I made the online application.
I currently hold a Business Accelerator (BA) card, and I made it clear at the time of the application that I had it, and the rep said I was ineligible for the points. Well I needed the card for work, so applied anyway.

Made a qualifying purchase a week later and still received the 100k points bonus, good news because I didn't get any signup bonuses with the BA, my first and only other amex direct card.

I called up this morning about a double billed paypal transaction, I mentioned linking the Gateway to the Ascent program of the BA, the rep appeared very willing to, but after a bit of checking was told it was impossible, because of the bonus 50k points after $100k spend per year bonus with the business version. I take it the bonus can only be deposited into the Gateway account, but the rep wasn't certain, since it is a pretty new product.

Roughly, the business version will earn more FF points then the personal version linked to a Ascent account with annual spend between $100k and $114k with the 50k bonus, outside those limits, the linked personal version will earn more.

The $395 fee was charged on the 1st statement.

A word of note for the BA card, the first time I took the card to credit, albeit $9,000 into credit ($3k limit), it was instantly blocked.

cji003 - Its going to be really rough getting to the $100k spend with a $3k limit

Roughly, the business version will earn more FF points then the personal version linked to a Ascent account with annual spend between $100k and $114k with the 50k bonus, outside those limits, the linked personal version will earn more.

That's not true... for example:
Spending $100k on business explorer will get 250k gateway points (200k base + 50k bonus), which can be redeem at 75% rate (compared to Ascent) to most FF programs , which is 187.5k.

Spending $100k personal explorer that is linked Ascent will get 200k FF points...

:oops:omg, You're so right, I'm not sure how I even came up with those numbers now.

Clearly, the business version never overlaps the personal version. I guess thats why the requirements for the business version is lower, and actually seemed very easy to apply for and be approved.

It was a lot easier than say my NAB Rewards Business Signature VISA card, and we've had our business banking with NAB for over 5 years.

Just raised a complaint with Amex. If we have enough people raising this, Amex will hopefully fix this up.
It's not fair that I have to put my business expenses on my personal card, especially they are essentially the same...

:oops:omg, You're so right, I'm not sure how I even came up with those numbers now.

Clearly, the business version never overlaps the personal version. I guess thats why the requirements for the business version is lower, and actually seemed very easy to apply for and be approved.

It was a lot easier than say my NAB Rewards Business Signature VISA card, and we've had our business banking with NAB for over 5 years.

We had the same (torturous) experience getting the same NAB card.

I've been thinking about this card for our business also, but would have to use rewardpay to get to the $100k pa spend on Amex as most of our suppliers don't accept Amex (or add 3%). I think it works out to $0.012 per point which is acceptable. We currently use a personal Amex Velocity Platinum.

I'm new to frequent flyer points (previously cashed in ANZ rewards for cash). Have accumulated approx 300k velocity points in the last few months, and so far only used them for mel - syd flights. I couldn't find any flights from mel - US on virgin in the next few months (too difficult to plan further out) so not sure about the value "buying" points with rewardpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back