New American Express Gold Card....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mbeder, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. mbeder

mbeder Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Sydney
    ...but only for those in the US.
    What an accessory for a night on the town! What will they think of next?
    At least you can still earn Reward Points if you're enrolled in a Rewards Program.
    It looks a bit feminine to me, but maybe they'll get a few metrosexual males applying! :D

https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/loyalty.do?page=butterfly

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Butterfly?

Yeah a little metro-sexual methinks. Wouldn't stop me applying though if the rewards were good enough.

Sometimes I'd prefer my credit cards to fold in half. Maybe this is the solution?

3. redrat

redrat Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Vic
    Now you'll have to remove your 'butterfly' to be put through the x-ray. In the UK you probably will have to check it with your baggage.

Methinks it is an untimely release. :D

4. vt

vt Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    Didnt one of the banksin Australia have one of those half sized credit cards a few years back. The National?

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Westpac titanium has a regular size card plus a mini card (forget what special name they use) that is about 1/3 size.

6. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yeah National do have the 1/3 sized card for one of their visa products (Visa Cash back perhaps?). I think the Amex card is different. From the photos. I get the perception that the card somehow folds in 2 (probably just below the strips).

7. mbeder

mbeder Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Sydney
    The National still offers a smaller card - the National Mini Visa.

National Australia Bank - NAB Visa Mini

You are also able to get accessories for it - lanyard, safety clip (karabiner), a mobile phone attachment (so that you can lose - or have both them stolen - at once!) and a cover. You'd think it was an Ipod!

I can just see the fashionistas with their lanyards attached to their Ipod, Mini Visa, Mobile, keys, office security card, etc walking around - you'd get a pretty sore neck - but at least you'll look cool! :D

8. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    Nope! Way too masculine looking for me to wear as a fashion accessory!