Need Adivce: Looking for 1QF point/$1 credit card for Adult + 16yr old (supp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFinlay

Hi,
I'm a long time reader and wanted to ask the 'experts' for advice.

I'm a 16year old FF-savvy student who is looking to make the most out of my somewhat limited income. Looking for a credit card that has a relatively low annual fee and at least 1 QFpoint / $1.

I don't care about interest rates as they probably won't affect me (due to low spending) but am interested in sign up bonuses.

If it’s Visa/Mastercard looking for 1 QFpoint / $1 and for Amex would prefer higher point earning rate.

As one of my parents is a Chartered Accountant the cost of a Gold credit card (1 QFpoint / $1) is zilch for the card and one supplementary, however, there are no sign-on bonuses and if your going to bother with an Amex you'd want higher point earning capabilities. Alternatively there is the Platinum credit card (1.5 QFpoint / $1) for $200 ($100 off) w/supplementary free; however, I wouldn’t be eligible for most of the benefits on the card as a supplementary.

I'm not really interested in the "free QF domestic flight" UNLESS its: a) transferable OR b) I can pay to upgrade the fare to supersaver/flexisaver that is point earning and upgradeable.

I really appreciate your advice. Thanks!

By the way, I'm not a silver spoon brat, just looking for an easy way to manage transactions/paying back parents while earning points.

how much annual spend do you expect to have with this card? If your spend is very low, then the value of the QF FF points may not be worth it.

I would also recommend steering clear of Amex since most people with Amex also require a Visa/MC for those merchants that don't accept Amex.

Annual spend probably $3-$10k+ depending upon whether we book family holidays on the card or not.

We probably would as my parents dont want to budge off their private bank negotiated non-rewards cards but are seeing the light about the value in points, particularly after I've secured $20k worth of U awards/upgrades for us!:)

BFinlay said:
We probably would as my parents dont want to budge off their private bank negotiated non-rewards cards but are seeing the light about the value in points, particularly after I've secured $20k worth of U awards/upgrades for us!:)

What card did you use to secure the $20K worth of award/upgrade flights

What I meant was my parents are following my lead in regards to holidays. After booking flights strategically to secure upgrades or puting requests through the Premium Desk (and seeing the value of it) they are willing let me have some control over choosing hotels/airline/carhire and determining which product we will buy through who at what rate.

Is'nt the legal age 18 before you can enter into a financial agreement / contract with a lender of money, or anyone for that matter ?

davocns said:
Is'nt the legal age 18 before you can enter into a financial agreement / contract with a lender of money, or anyone for that matter ?

Not sure how the law reads but certianly if your parents are garanteeing the card or your a secondary card holder is is no problems.

E

You could look at the Citibank free-for-life Gold Card talked about on this website in various threads.

Apparently it's still open for applications and has a 1:1 conversion ratio. Not sure of the additional cardholder options on that one though (Normal additional cardholder for Citibank is $30/year)

Another option might be the Commbank Platinum Visa/Mastercard. $200/year (+$15 for an additional card). 1:1 conversion.

Last edited:
Mal said:
You could look at the Citibank free-for-life Gold Card talked about on this website in various threads.

I would say this is the best I have found so far, point wise. Service level is a complete disaster though.

Not sure of the additional cardholder options on that one though (Normal additional cardholder for Citibank is $30/year)

All extra cards are free. I got one for my partner, and one for my sister. All free.

If you are interested in Sign up bonuses then the best one out there at the moment would be the Amex Qantas Premium card:

Frequent Flyer - Earning Points - Qantas American Express Card

You get 5000 points on your first spend and then another 25,000 points if you spend $1000 on the card by December 31st 2007.

You get 1.25 points per dollar spent.

The only downside is the $195 annual fee but for 30,000 that's a cheap way of getting points.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Another new member here.

As an Engineer I get a gold AMEX through membership in APESMA which is fee free. Many professional organisations and unions etc have similar deals.

The thing with the card though is i put regular monthly expenses on it like petrol and groceries. Only once did i have a problem with my AMEX not being accepted and that was a country independant service station.

Thing is I travel OS to some different places (Central america this year) and believe it or not Visa/Mastercard are not always the most accepted cards.

In fact in Central America it goes Visa, AMEX, Mastercard for most widely accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back