Nail Polish - on a plane? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Nail Polish - on a plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Rather strange question here - not for me - for mrssimongr. She gets very bored/stressed on planes and one thing she does to relax is paint her nails - so I was wondering what people's thoughts would be if someone opened up some nail polish on a plane? Are there any rules against it? Would it be deemed rude? Would the smell carry and affect people? I saw the comment in one thread here about someone changing a baby on the tray table - hope this isnt in the same league?
S
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
Last edited:

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
596
Whilst I am not really aware of the smell travelling, I remember reading a letter to the editor in the Sydney MX recently about someone being very offended by the smell from a woman applying nail polish in a train, and when they confronted her, she was quite angry.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,788
Flights
My Map
Maybe in F where there is plenty of space around you, but I would not be too happy if I was sitting nearby and someone started to paint their nails. So I would suggest its not a good idea in business or economy cabins.

If really desperate, then perhaps ask the FA if she can sit in a crew seat near the galley/exit door and do it there.
 

Maca44

AFF Supporter
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
1,260
I don't like the smell of nail polish, nail polish remover or ladies hairdressing salons, but it may be only me or a male thing. In saying that, I have never been on a flight where a passenger (female or male) was using nail polish but I think the smell in such a confined space of the pressurised metal tube would offend some pax.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,251
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
Rather strange question here - not for me - for mrssimongr. She gets very bored/stressed on planes and one thing she does to relax is paint her nails - so I was wondering what people's thoughts would be if someone opened up some nail polish on a plane? Are there any rules against it? Would it be deemed rude? Would the smell carry and affect people? I saw the comment in one thread here about someone changing a baby on the tray table - hope this isnt in the same league?
S
Maybe she could retire to one of the personal ablution cubicles(©) and apply the goop there; hopefully the evaporating solvent won't set off the Smoke detectors ...
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,788
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
Maybe she could retire to one of the personal ablution cubicles(©) and apply the goop there; hopefully the evaporating solvent won't set off the Smoke detectors ...
Could be quite a queue of desperate ablution users by the time she emerges :evil: .
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Normally the polishing takes about 45mins all up - so may not be a popular choice to use the amenities...
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
I've only once seen someone try to use nail polish on a flight (it was a QF flight). Flight Attendant very quickly, but politely, informed the woman that the use of nail polish was not permitted. This was a few years ago (pre-9/11). It wasn't stated whether this was a Civil Aviation Regulation, a Qantas rule, or the FA's personal rule.

Personally I like the smell of nail polish, but regardless of whether it is allowed or not, I think the potential to offend is too great in this instance.
 

Bolman

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
33
Alan in CBR said:
Personally I like the smell of nail polish, but regardless of whether it is allowed or not, I think the potential to offend is too great in this instance.
Downstairs near the front door of from my apartment, there are a bunch of nail/beauty salons. The smell is almost unbearable to me. I have often wondered - do these people get high from the fumes each day working there? Surely some brain cells are being killed.

Definately don't want someone polishing (or removing) sitting anywhere near me.
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
783
yeah, go right ahead ... no worries at all. you can use your nail polish ...

just allow me to pick my toe nails, clean out my toe jams, clean out the wax in my ears with a cotton bud etc ...
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
But seriously its not that bad bigjobs... all it is is painting - there was no toe nail clippage suggested :shock:
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Bolman said:
Definately don't want someone polishing (or removing) sitting anywhere near me.
Nail polish remover is classified by most OH&S authorities as a dangerous liquid. It's not allowed on our business premises due to OH&S policy!
 

NYCguy

Established Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,120
NM said:
Maybe in F where there is plenty of space around you, but I would not be too happy if I was sitting nearby and someone started to paint their nails. So I would suggest its not a good idea in business or economy cabins.

If really desperate, then perhaps ask the FA if she can sit in a crew seat near the galley/exit door and do it there.
I have, on a few occasions, seen flight attendants ask women to desist their nail-painting in the First cabin. On each occasion it was aboard a trans-pac long-haul. Perhaps it is, indeed, the boredom factor. However, the solvents still stink, and I personally consider it objectionable and extraordinarily rude to use nail varnish or varnish remover in-flight.

Of course, that still leaves the unpleasant consequences of being locked in a pressurised aluminium tube with someone who has been eating baked beans, or jerusalem artichokes. It's a bit more difficult to put the lid on that!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,192
Messages
1,871,453
Members
49,022
Latest member
Bogdanov Family
Top