NAB Qantas Rewards exclusion period

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenscraper

Normally the exclusion period for bonus points is 12 months from when you closed the card, but the current NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card says

This bonus Qantas Points offer is not available to existing customers who have received or are entitled to receive NAB Bonus Qantas Points for a new personal NAB Qantas Rewards credit card in the twelve months prior to the opening of a NAB Qantas Rewards Signature Card, NAB Qantas Rewards Premium Card or NAB Qantas Rewards Card account.

I had bonus point appear on my July statement last year, but not be credited until September, then I closed my account in November. Do I need to wait for the 12 months from closing or should I be eligible now?

If those are the exact and only words provided, for me this reads as 12 months from the closing of the previous account.

As you point out, the wording is a little ambiguous.

I'd also suggest that you have a look at some of the other credit card offerings. NAB's current offers are hardly the most generous out there. So the 12 month period could be moot for you if you go with another card, at least for now.

On the phone again following up my application originally submitted 8 October. This has got to be the worst application process I have ever encountered.

Originally my application sat in limbo as they apparently didn't pick up my drivers licence number via the online application (funny that they had the expiry date recorded). Managed to fix that up after waiting on the phone for 90 minutes

Then got asked to upload payslips which I have done but it appears that they are still sitting in some type of store and forward. Online shows them as uploaded but then says I need to furnish additional information however can't get past the upload document screen. Have been waiting on phone for 30 minutes so far listening to their terrible music

Via email was asked to provide a complete breakdown of all my expenses, something I have never had to do before. Anything that was zero (such as childcare in my case I had to provide an explanation as to why. About 50 lines of expenses they wanted me to itemise

All this for 90K in QFF points (definitely won't try for year 2 bonus) and to rub salt into the wound, my credit savvy score took a 100 point hit when they submitted a credit enquiry, never had a hit one way or the other more than 20 points before

On the phone again following up my application originally submitted 8 October. This has got to be the worst application process I have ever encountered.

Originally my application sat in limbo as they apparently didn't pick up my drivers licence number via the online application (funny that they had the expiry date recorded). Managed to fix that up after waiting on the phone for 90 minutes

Then got asked to upload payslips which I have done but it appears that they are still sitting in some type of store and forward. Online shows them as uploaded but then says I need to furnish additional information however can't get past the upload document screen. Have been waiting on phone for 30 minutes so far listening to their terrible music

Via email was asked to provide a complete breakdown of all my expenses, something I have never had to do before. Anything that was zero (such as childcare in my case I had to provide an explanation as to why. About 50 lines of expenses they wanted me to itemise

All this for 90K in QFF points (definitely won't try for year 2 bonus) and to rub salt into the wound, my credit savvy score took a 100 point hit when they submitted a credit enquiry, never had a hit one way or the other more than 20 points before
Nothing else showing in your credit file that may have triggered all of this from NAB?

Had a score of 802 with nothing adverse. Did apply for Citi and Bankwest in May / June respectively and another two applications over xmas plus I have closed off 5 account this years as well so maybe just a build up of applications

Still in the very good range and not much around for me to apply as still serving exclusion periods for most of the good offers. A break of 6 months or so might see my score bounce back up in the next little while. Will just have to wait and see.

Edit - I see that my Equifax score (getcreditscore) has actually gone up marginally. Seems NAB musn't use them

Last edited:
Just went through the same process. Online upload of documents just threw an error. Emailing documents didn't get them where they needed to be until I rang (after spending at least half an hour on hold). The issue they had was my estimated living expenses were too low. I think it's post royal commission thing?

Finally approved though.

I have given up on my NAB application. Sent paperwork, spoke to numerous people, income and score good. The query was my living expenses..... I travel frequently so save for that....anyway bottom line was that they stated they could not approve my application as I did not have a NAB account and if I opened one to reapply.... Too hard basket.

I have given up on my NAB application. Sent paperwork, spoke to numerous people, income and score good. The query was my living expenses..... I travel frequently so save for that....anyway bottom line was that they stated they could not approve my application as I did not have a NAB account and if I opened one to reapply.... Too hard basket.
I think I might do the same, 5 separate emails each asking for something additional over a two week period.

I had bonus point appear on my July statement last year, but not be credited until September, then I closed my account in November. Do I need to wait for the 12 months from closing or should I be eligible now?

Well if you screw it up by just one day, you have set yourself back another 12 months (and then some) before you can pick up a signup bonus. Then if you ring to complain they wont really be that interested in helping you out because you are not being a loyal client.

Surely there is no need to play the points chasing game so tightly.

Nothing else showing in your credit file that may have triggered all of this from NAB?
Well first of all I am still waiting for an answer. Their 5th "separate" request for information was for a letter from Citibank proving I had closed my credit card account and that took well over a week to source. It has been over a month now!!!

Anyway, NAB are now providing anyone free access to Illion (formerly DnB) including a detailed report so I logged on today and I can see my credit rating is much different than those provided by Experian and Equifax where my scores with both are in the Very Good range. My Illion score of 566 is actually on the low side of average and I am assuming this is what NAB is using to assess my application.

I notice with Illion that they have details on every current credit product and any that I have applied for over the last I would estimate 2 years. This is far more detailed than what I can see with Experian and Equifax, both of which don't seem to have my whole suite of accounts and cards and applications

A hard way to earn 90K in points and also perhaps an indication that some credit providers are starting to use an individuals score as part of their assessment far more than they did in the past. My last NAB application in early 2018 took less than a week from application to card actually arriving in the mail by way of comparison

My Illion score of 566 is actually on the low side of average and I am assuming this is what NAB is using to assess my application.
no NAB wouldnt use Illions analysis of the credit file data.

NAB was the first bank to introduce automated credit scoring in1990, give or take a year. after almost 30 years of refining their system they aint about to rely on some marketing company like Illion to tell them how to do it. NAB like every other bank will get the data from Illion and do their own assessment.

that score Illion gives you is weak, compared to others, that means you have got something that NAB will also consider weak too. You would hope there are other factors in your application that raise your profile!

no NAB wouldnt use Illions analysis of the credit file data.

NAB was the first bank to introduce automated credit scoring in1990, give or take a year. after almost 30 years of refining their system they aint about to rely on some marketing company like Illion to tell them how to do it. NAB like every other bank will get the data from Illion and do their own assessment.

that score Illion gives you is weak, compared to others, that means you have got something that NAB will also consider weak too. You would hope there are other factors in your application that raise your profile!
Perhaps however the insights on the report are apparently from NAB. Two comments stand out - "You have made a number of applications for credit" and "You have credit with a number of credit providers" with an overall recommendation to reduce the number of products I have

Other than credit card applications, there is nothing new on my file and as I have never had any other accounts with them I would doubt that there is other information they would assess my application against

Anyway, we will see what happens however if any further requests for more information I will just withdraw the application

Perhaps however the insights on the report are apparently from NAB. Two comments stand out - "You have made a number of applications for credit" and "You have credit with a number of credit providers" with an overall recommendation to reduce the number of products I have
and thats what i said. NEB analyse the data themselves, they dont blindly follow Illions pathetic attempt at a credit score and make decisions on that.

I cancelled this card in FEB but like chicken scrape the last points were credited the previous October.
So I applied again early December.

A bit of back and forth, but was eventually approved around the new year. Added card to choice package. I had cancelled a NAB rewards card in Nov.

Paid rates and a few other bits and pieces last week and this morning there were 94k points in the qantas account.

Bump.

I've just received my '1st statement" online for my newest nab cc.

Not showing any bonus points (ie: 90k), as previous "attempts" were usually in the 1st bill.

Should I worry that they have actually grown a brain?, or wait until month 2 or 3 (ie: points paid equally over a few months).

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Hoping to get some feedback on the below.

When I got my nab mortgage in July 2020 they gave me the Qantas nab card which I hadn't asked for. I cancelled it the day I received it in the post (no transactions recorded, 0 points ear/received etc) - also didn't register it.

I want to apply again today (11 months after closing the account) and called nab to ask if my records showed a card in July 2020. The lady couldn't give me a very clear answer but said "there is no record of my name or any previous nab card against my account" so she couldn't send me an email of any activity listed in nab for me as "it returns an error saying I don't exist in their system". I wanted a digital record of nab confirming my account didn't exist in case they didn't give me the bonus points.

I assume that all means the card back in July hasn't even registered on my account which is good. Would you agree?

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Hoping to get some feedback on the below.

When I got my nab mortgage in July 2020 they gave me the Qantas nab card which I hadn't asked for. I cancelled it the day I received it in the post (no transactions recorded, 0 points ear/received etc) - also didn't register it.

I want to apply again today (11 months after closing the account) and called nab to ask if my records showed a card in July 2020. The lady couldn't give me a very clear answer but said "there is no record of my name or any previous nab card against my account" so she couldn't send me an email of any activity listed in nab for me as "it returns an error saying I don't exist in their system". I wanted a digital record of nab confirming my account didn't exist in case they didn't give me the bonus points.

I assume that all means the card back in July hasn't even registered on my account which is good. Would you agree?
Did you check credit savy or other reporting agencies to see what was listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back