NAB Qantas Gold Card triple points campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

samillionaire

Intern
Earn triple Qantas Frequent Flyer points until 1 September 2011. Apply by 6 June 2011.
sounds pretty good to me better than CBAs diamond. Dont have enough post cant post a link but if you to into Nabs website > cards on the left hand side > compare cards click nab qantas gold

Earn triple Qantas Frequent Flyer points until 1 September 2011. Apply by 6 June 2011.
sounds pretty good to me better than CBAs diamond. Dont have enough post cant post a link but if you to into Nabs website > cards on the left hand side > compare cards click nab qantas gold

The NAB Qantas Card earn rate is retarded. Capped at $10,000 per month (not $10,000 on Amex AND $10,000 on MasterCard), assuming all spend on the American Express, you're looking at $40,000 spend before the promo ends if you apply now, so 3 points per dollar * $12,000 and 1.5 points per dollar * $28,000

78,000 total points for the promo from $40,000 spend on the American Express.

Similarly spend $40,000 on the Diamond American Express and you will receive 60,000 points during the promo and continue to earn more QFF points per dollar on the Amex afterwards.

So is the annual fee worth 18,000 points? At $145.50 it comes down to what you plan on redeeming the points for, right? Probably not worth the hassle of getting another card given the options that are already in your pocket.

I'm not advocating the Diamond Awards card either, not a fan of it.

-Me

The NAB Qantas Card earn rate is retarded. Capped at $10,000 per month (not $10,000 on Amex AND $10,000 on MasterCard), assuming all spend on the American Express, you're looking at $40,000 spend before the promo ends if you apply now, so 3 points per dollar * $12,000 and 1.5 points per dollar * $28,000

I agree the tier points system is just plain frustrating. However you're comparing a new 'above platinum' card to a vanilla gold card. Considering the earning rates on the NAB plat card are better (on the mastercard) than any CBA product and has NO cap, this could be a good stepping stone to that. If you're monthly spend is <$10000 and more like under the $3000 then it doesn't sound like such a bad idea. Additionally the annual fee is much less than the CBA card you're comparing plus bonus points on QF purchases like ANZ and a few others.

So I'm not saying any of these are great but if you were a CBA plat card holder, might be worth a look.

I agree the tier points system is just plain frustrating. However you're comparing a new 'above platinum' card to a vanilla gold card. Considering the earning rates on the NAB plat card are better (on the mastercard) than any CBA product and has NO cap, this could be a good stepping stone to that. If you're monthly spend is <$10000 and more like under the $3000 then it doesn't sound like such a bad idea. Additionally the annual fee is much less than the CBA card you're comparing plus bonus points on QF purchases like ANZ and a few others.

So I'm not saying any of these are great but if you were a CBA plat card holder, might be worth a look.

Yeah, was just comparing the CBA Diamond + NAB Gold because that's what was said in the original post. Agree that they are not the right cards to be comparing, all good points.

-Me

I'm an ex-CBA Platinum MC card holder - ditched it when they dropped the earn rate a few years back, and am on a CBA Gold Amex, but got caught last year when I exceeded the cap - so am looking for a better replacement: This deal sounds good as an intro, but in the long run, isn't it better to fork out $250/year for a Westpac Earth platinum and earn 3 points/dollar uncapped?

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, but at a spend of $6-8,000/month, I figured over the full 12 months, the extra $100/year in fees would be worth the extra points that will accumulate after the introductary period is over.

Any thoughts? :confused:

, isn't it better to fork out $250/year for a Westpac Earth platinum and earn 3 points/dollar uncapped?

Any thoughts? :confused:

My thoughts are I'm missing something big here.

My Westpac Earth platinum Amex only earns me 1.5 points/dollar :(

My thoughts are I'm missing something big here.

My Westpac Earth platinum Amex only earns me 1.5 points/dollar :(

Sorry, should have qualified that - I'm too used to CBA "points" @ 2 per QFF point/mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back