More slightly strange offerings from Amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkutasi

Intern
As we all know, Amex has been trying to get us to use up our points lately (not sure why though).

Well in keeping with this, just got some more mail today from Amex (not targetted) which is offering return airfares directly through MR points (i.e. dont need to be transferred to a FF account).

American Express - Australia - Personal - Cards - Rewards - Membership Rewards TravelKey

European destinations seem to all be on BA, Hawaiian to the US, JAL to Japan, Emirates to NZ (!) and Air Pac to Fiji.

Strange thing is though, why would anyone bother with it?

117k needed for LAX and SFO (96k on QF) and 80k needed for Osaka (72k QF) for example. The only one which is on par is 128k for LHR, which is identical to QF.

So my question is, why would anyone bother using their points in this way (unless they didnt have QFF membership)? Or do the higher fuel taxes on QF actually make this a marginally better offer?

Have you ever considered the possibility that there is better availability booking through Amex than through Qantas?

kkutasi said:

117k needed for LAX and SFO (96k on QF) and 80k needed for Osaka (72k QF) for example. The only one which is on par is 128k for LHR, which is identical to QF.

So my question is, why would anyone bother using their points in this way (unless they didnt have QFF membership)? Or do the higher fuel taxes on QF actually make this a marginally better offer?
The Amex MR availability will not be coming from the extremely limited QF award buckets. So the reason for using Amex MR redemptions would be based on availability. Its likely that you will be able to get seats through Amex MR and not directly from QF FF. So some people will be willing to use more points if they know they can get availability.

Does the Amex MR flight require the customer to pay the fuel surcharges for the flights?

kkutasi said:
European destinations seem to all be on BA, Hawaiian to the US, JAL to Japan, Emirates to NZ (!) and Air Pac to Fiji.

I guess that might be part of the answer - a number of those airlines can be flown using QFF points.

I for one would be interested in Emirates awards for family.

I havent seen any J seat info though in relation to travel key...

kkutasi said:

SYD to BKK flying BA is available at 47,000 points versus 60,000 points if redemmed via QFF. Could be worthwhile

I noticed that they have a discounted rate for children and infants. I guess for a family that might balance out.

If the availability was better it might be worth the extra points?

I also wonder if you would earn FF points/status credits. I'm wondering as my free flight i get every year with the Amex platinum card gave me points and Status credits last year... much to my surprise...

mabunji said:
SYD to BKK flying BA is available at 47,000 points versus 60,000 points if redemmed via QFF. Could be worthwhile

yes. that seems to be the only one that is more favourable. i wonder why the discrepancy just with this sector?

I was under the impression that the Travelkey offerings were revenue tickets, rather than FF redemption tickets. It's probably worth checking whether miles could be earnt on the Travelkey redemptions - that would make them more worthwhile than transferring to FF programs anyway.

I also noticed they have child rates as well. And i was looking that Mel - NAN was cheaper via travel key than QFF

kkutasi said:
yes. that seems to be the only one that is more favourable. i wonder why the discrepancy just with this sector?
BA is getting very light loads on this sector. I was on the BA BKK-SYD flight on 23 December and it could not have been much more than half full. I think the QF flight was reasonably full.

I would not be surprised if BA stops the BKK-SYD route before the SIN-SYD route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back