melb dom.-int'l | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

melb dom.-int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsonstrish

I've not flown int'l out of melb. before. How do you travel from dom. to int'l terminals. thanks, trish

turbo

Intern
parsonstrish said:
I've not flown int'l out of melb. before. How do you travel from dom. to int'l terminals. thanks, trish
It's all within the same building with 3 different areas. T1 is QF & J* dom, T2 is all intl and T3 is virgin & REX. if you come in on QF (T1) you can go downstairs to arrivals and collect your bags or if continuing on just stay upstairs, exit past security and follow the signs. no buses etc necessary. virgin (T3) is at the other end of the terminal building. Intl terminal is bang in the middle

go to Melbourne Airport - Home page

Ikara

Flights
My Map
Easy - you walk. All terminals are on the same level. The middle arm is the International Terminal. From Qantas, turn right - from Virgin, turn left. It's about 200 metres.

JB

NM

Flights
My Map
MEL is the easiest airport for international/domestic transfers in Australia.

Evan

Established Member
NM said:
I know, the only problem i never transfer here since i live here, i always get the crap sydney transfer with bus ....

E

Kiwi Flyer

NM said:
Yup, why if I am flying QF to somewhere like PER with choice of BNE/SYD/MEL transits I'll take MEL unless specific reason not to (eg meeting someone in BNE).

markis10

Veteran Member
NM said:
I reckon Darwin is easier, since the international reverts to a domestic gate when not in use:D

serfty

Flights
My Map
Evan said:
I know, the only problem i never transfer here since i live here, i always get the crap sydney transfer with bus ....

E
OT: Actually, I kind of like the B*s transfer; often great view of aircraft, tarmac and generals goings on ... :cool:

As for MEL, before I became WP for eveing flights I used to hit the DOM QP for a few party pies and the like before taking the short stroll through emigration over to the cold buffet of the MEL J Lounge. (Come to think of it, I used to do this in SYD as well; the b*s trip was kind of fun after a HP or three ;) )

Last edited:

Kiwi Flyer

markis10 said:
I reckon Darwin is easier, since the international reverts to a domestic gate when not in use:D
Likewise for ADL. But for international->international not as good. Had to find someone to open up the transfer security station for me.

NM

Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Yup, why if I am flying QF to somewhere like PER with choice of BNE/SYD/MEL transits I'll take MEL unless specific reason not to (eg meeting someone in BNE).
Well you have not done that yet! Just let me know and I will be happy to join you for an ale or two at BNE ;) .

markis10

Veteran Member
If you are lucky enough to be transiting to catch a late night flight at BNE, enjoy the experience of trying to get a cab to take you to the Intl terminal, the airtrain stops at 8PM, something I have been caught out before with when catching a intl flight to Syd and then returning on a night flight to the domestic, and it does not start early enough to allow you to park your car at Domestic and catch the train to INTL for that lovely 5AM flight!

Kiwi Flyer

NM said:
Well you have not done that yet! Just let me know and I will be happy to join you for an ale or two at BNE ;) .
Yes I have - I met with Lindsay Wilson for breakfast last year, on the way back. Don't get to BNE much these days with the decline of a/c used on AKL-BNE-AKL route.

acampbel

markis10 said:
... If you are lucky enough to be transiting to catch a late night flight at BNE, enjoy the experience of trying to get a cab to take you to the Intl terminal, the airtrain stops at 8PM, something I have been caught out before with when catching a intl flight to Syd and then returning on a night flight to the domestic ...
One time when I was de-planed at Brisbane due to Sydney curfew issues, the taxi rank corporal approached me as I queued with my voucher in hand. "Could you give someone a lift to International on your way out?" he asked. There was a young bloke with a backpack standing off to the side.

Of course it was no problem, but why they can't they run a shuttle service when the train isn't running - rather than expecting people to bum a lift?

Cheers,

Andrew

NM

Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Yes I have - I met with Lindsay Wilson for breakfast last year, on the way back. Don't get to BNE much these days with the decline of a/c used on AKL-BNE-AKL route.
Well you didn't invite me :p :p :p

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
markis10 said:
If you are lucky enough to be transiting to catch a late night flight at BNE, enjoy the experience of trying to get a cab to take you to the Intl terminal, the airtrain stops at 8PM, something I have been caught out before with when catching a intl flight to Syd and then returning on a night flight to the domestic, and it does not start early enough to allow you to park your car at Domestic and catch the train to INTL for that lovely 5AM flight!
First train of the day from domestic is ~6:15am weekdays and ~6am Sat/Sun.
Last trains from domestic are ~7:30pm each day.
First trains to domestic arrive ~6am weekdays/Sat, ~6:20am Sun.

They keep plugging the service as "Catch the Airtrain". Yep, if your flight comes in a little too late or your bags get held up, then it's "Catch the Airtrain to nowhere".

serfty

Flights
My Map
I always smile to myself when landing in BNE after 7:30pm and hearing that Airtrain Spiel. :eek:

Doing the same next Friday and I'll try to remember to post on whether it is again quoted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Namik