melb dom.-int'l | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

melb dom.-int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsonstrish

Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
708
Qantas
Platinum
I've not flown int'l out of melb. before. How do you travel from dom. to int'l terminals. thanks, trish
 

turbo

Intern
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
70
parsonstrish said:
I've not flown int'l out of melb. before. How do you travel from dom. to int'l terminals. thanks, trish
It's all within the same building with 3 different areas. T1 is QF & J* dom, T2 is all intl and T3 is virgin & REX. if you come in on QF (T1) you can go downstairs to arrivals and collect your bags or if continuing on just stay upstairs, exit past security and follow the signs. no buses etc necessary. virgin (T3) is at the other end of the terminal building. Intl terminal is bang in the middle

go to Melbourne Airport - Home page
 

Ikara

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
494
Flights
My Map
Easy - you walk. All terminals are on the same level. The middle arm is the International Terminal. From Qantas, turn right - from Virgin, turn left. It's about 200 metres.

JB
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,257
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
MEL is the easiest airport for international/domestic transfers in Australia.
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,185
NM said:
MEL is the easiest airport for international/domestic transfers in Australia.
I know, the only problem i never transfer here since i live here, i always get the crap sydney transfer with bus ....

E
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
NM said:
MEL is the easiest airport for international/domestic transfers in Australia.
Yup, why if I am flying QF to somewhere like PER with choice of BNE/SYD/MEL transits I'll take MEL unless specific reason not to (eg meeting someone in BNE).
 
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,449
NM said:
MEL is the easiest airport for international/domestic transfers in Australia.
I reckon Darwin is easier, since the international reverts to a domestic gate when not in use:D
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,084
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Evan said:
I know, the only problem i never transfer here since i live here, i always get the crap sydney transfer with bus ....

E
OT: Actually, I kind of like the B*s transfer; often great view of aircraft, tarmac and generals goings on ... :cool:

As for MEL, before I became WP for eveing flights I used to hit the DOM QP for a few party pies and the like before taking the short stroll through emigration over to the cold buffet of the MEL J Lounge. (Come to think of it, I used to do this in SYD as well; the b*s trip was kind of fun after a HP or three ;) )
 
Last edited:

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
markis10 said:
I reckon Darwin is easier, since the international reverts to a domestic gate when not in use:D
Likewise for ADL. But for international->international not as good. Had to find someone to open up the transfer security station for me.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,257
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Yup, why if I am flying QF to somewhere like PER with choice of BNE/SYD/MEL transits I'll take MEL unless specific reason not to (eg meeting someone in BNE).
Well you have not done that yet! Just let me know and I will be happy to join you for an ale or two at BNE ;) .
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,449
If you are lucky enough to be transiting to catch a late night flight at BNE, enjoy the experience of trying to get a cab to take you to the Intl terminal, the airtrain stops at 8PM, something I have been caught out before with when catching a intl flight to Syd and then returning on a night flight to the domestic, and it does not start early enough to allow you to park your car at Domestic and catch the train to INTL for that lovely 5AM flight!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
NM said:
Well you have not done that yet! Just let me know and I will be happy to join you for an ale or two at BNE ;) .
Yes I have - I met with Lindsay Wilson for breakfast last year, on the way back. Don't get to BNE much these days with the decline of a/c used on AKL-BNE-AKL route.
 

acampbel

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
351
markis10 said:
... If you are lucky enough to be transiting to catch a late night flight at BNE, enjoy the experience of trying to get a cab to take you to the Intl terminal, the airtrain stops at 8PM, something I have been caught out before with when catching a intl flight to Syd and then returning on a night flight to the domestic ...
One time when I was de-planed at Brisbane due to Sydney curfew issues, the taxi rank corporal approached me as I queued with my voucher in hand. "Could you give someone a lift to International on your way out?" he asked. There was a young bloke with a backpack standing off to the side.

Of course it was no problem, but why they can't they run a shuttle service when the train isn't running - rather than expecting people to bum a lift?


Cheers,


Andrew
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,257
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Yes I have - I met with Lindsay Wilson for breakfast last year, on the way back. Don't get to BNE much these days with the decline of a/c used on AKL-BNE-AKL route.
Well you didn't invite me :p :p :p
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Flights
My Map
markis10 said:
If you are lucky enough to be transiting to catch a late night flight at BNE, enjoy the experience of trying to get a cab to take you to the Intl terminal, the airtrain stops at 8PM, something I have been caught out before with when catching a intl flight to Syd and then returning on a night flight to the domestic, and it does not start early enough to allow you to park your car at Domestic and catch the train to INTL for that lovely 5AM flight!
First train of the day from domestic is ~6:15am weekdays and ~6am Sat/Sun.
Last trains from domestic are ~7:30pm each day.
First trains to domestic arrive ~6am weekdays/Sat, ~6:20am Sun.

They keep plugging the service as "Catch the Airtrain". Yep, if your flight comes in a little too late or your bags get held up, then it's "Catch the Airtrain to nowhere".
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,084
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I always smile to myself when landing in BNE after 7:30pm and hearing that Airtrain Spiel. :eek:

Doing the same next Friday and I'll try to remember to post on whether it is again quoted or not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,276
Messages
2,077,900
Members
53,679
Latest member
AlexShumalov

Currently Active Users

Top