Malaysia Airlines staff layoffs to cost up to 234 million ringgit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
AFP said:
Malaysia Airlines staff layoffs to cost up to 234 million ringgit

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Ailing Malaysia Airlines launched a scheme costing up to 850 million ringgit (234 million dollars) to lay off between 3,000 and 5,000 employees as part of a plan to haul itself out of the red.

"Since the mutual separation scheme is a voluntary exercise, Malaysia Airlines expects the take-up rate from staff to be between 3,000 to 5,000," the national carrier said in a statement.

An official from the airline, who declined to identified, quoted managing director Idris Jala as saying the scheme would cost up to 850 million ringgit.

More...

Another airline affected by ever increasing fuel prices...
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
I'd say MH has much bigger issues than fuel prices to worry about.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
OK, you could say that MH has a few minor issues to sort out on top of the increasing fuel prices crisis!
 
Last edited:

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
The surcharges aren't a crisis (from airlines perspective they're a solution).

By all accounts they would be in difficulty regardless of the fuel prices.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,440
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Kiwi Flyer said:
The surcharges aren't a crisis (from airlines perspective they're a solution).

By all accounts they would be in difficulty regardless of the fuel prices.
High fuel prices are a consistent problem for all airlines, so the only way this affects competition is that those airlines with better management practices (intelligent hedging) and lower operational costs can continue to compete on price.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Kiwi Flyer said:
The surcharges aren't a crisis (from airlines perspective they're a solution).

By all accounts they would be in difficulty regardless of the fuel prices.
I am sorry I used the wrong phrase there. I have changed my previous post to read "OK, you could say that MH has a few minor issues to sort out on top of the increasing fuel prices crisis!".

And yes I agree that MH would be in trouble regardless but certainly the increasing fuel prices has not helped them to manage existing problems.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,440
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
JohnK said:
And yes I agree that MH would be in trouble regardless but certainly the increasing fuel prices has not helped them to manage existing problems.
Perhaps their fuel costs are being "managed". The Malaysian Ringgit used to be fixed at MYR3.80 to the US$. However, I see from xe.com that the rate today is 3.63, so their fuel cost in US$ had dropped almost 5% since the fixed 3.8 days (anyone know when this changed?).
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
NM said:
Perhaps their fuel costs are being "managed". The Malaysian Ringgit used to be fixed at MYR3.80 to the US$. However, I see from xe.com that the rate today is 3.63, so their fuel cost in US$ had dropped almost 5% since the fixed 3.8 days (anyone know when this changed?).

It was last year. It doesn't look like a clean float though. I found the following:

thestar.com.my said:
Bank Negara statement on ringgit float
Thursday July 21, 2005

BANK Negara Malaysia announces Thursday that the exchange rate of the ringgit with immediate effect will be allowed to operate in a managed float, with its value being determined by economic fundamentals.

Bank Negara Malaysia will monitor the exchange rate against a currency basket to ensure that the exchange rate remains close to its fair value. Promoting stability of the exchange rate continues to be a primary objective of policy.

More...
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,440
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Yada Yada said:
It was last year. It doesn't look like a clean float though. I found the following:
Ahh, thanks for that. I would have been blindly doing my ad-hoc conversions based on the old 3.8 while wheeling and dealing at Bukit Bintang.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
NM said:
Ahh, thanks for that. I would have been blindly doing my ad-hoc conversions based on the old 3.8 while wheeling and dealing at Bukit Bintang.
Sungei wang?

Or Parkhill Gallery? :shock:
 
Combining a phone charger and phone holder our Magnetic Wireless Car Phone Charger quickly charges your phone while driving without tangled cords!

Suitable for car dashboard air vent installation, our wireless phone charger makes phone calls and GPS navigation easier more convenient.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,440
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Yada Yada said:
Sungei wang?

Or Parkhill Gallery? :shock:
Sungei Wang actually. I just hope my favourite source of non-blank DVD media is still there ;). Otherwise its off to China Town to get a few "genuine" :rolleyes: world cup strips.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
Points
0
NM said:
Sungei Wang actually. I just hope my favourite source of non-blank DVD media is still there ;). Otherwise its off to China Town to get a few "genuine" :rolleyes: world cup strips.
I didn't check Sungei Wang for non-blank DVD media (nice term) a few weeks back when I was there but there were heaps of sellers down at Petaling Street (China Town) markets.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,440
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Yada Yada said:
I didn't check Sungei Wang for non-blank DVD media (nice term) a few weeks back when I was there but there were heaps of sellers down at Petaling Street (China Town) markets.
I have learned the hard way that the product acquired in China Town is often of dubious quality.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
87,351
Messages
2,139,107
Members
54,402
Latest member
Austro22

Staff online

Top