lost my gold status

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by dish62, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. dish62

dish62 Newbie

Jun 13, 2006
    After having FF Gold for the last 5 years as I was flying a lot for business I recently lost it becuase I'm not flying as much, and certainly not on full economy fares anymore. I was working in the public service and joined QFF under their corporate scheme and now I work for a poor non - profit.:(

I tried renewing on-line for individual corporate but of course I do not have a corporate scheme number anymore, so it won't accept my renewal.

Any ideas?

2. SeatBackForward

SeatBackForward Established Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Uhmm join individually and try to claim it back as a tax deduction - of course you have to legitmately need to be able to deduct it.

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Trying to make this out. Now having a wild stab at things, I conject:
    1. You had QF QP membership through a corporate scheme of your employer.
    2. With the flying you did, your status became QF SG so your QF QP membership was suspended.
    3. You changed Jobs and your QF SG subsequently expired and you have gone back to QF SG.
    4. Upon your QF SG ending your QF QP membership was reactivated for it's remaining tenure.
    5. This has now expired and you no longer have QP access.
    I believe that you may be able to continue your QP membership without paying a Joing Fee if you are quick.

4. dish62

dish62 Newbie

Jun 13, 2006
    Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what SG and QP means so I'll have go at explaining!

1. I joined QFF in 2000 under a government coprorate scheme
    2. In late 2001, I had reached gold status which gave me automatic Qantas Club Membership.
    3. I have retained Gold status ever since, until I resigned from the government earlier in the year. I have done little flying on Qantas since.
    4. My status was reassessed on 30 Sept 06 and downgraded to silver which means I no longer have Qantas Club membership.
    5. I no longer have any corporate affiliation
    Does this give you more insight? thx

5. Skyring

Skyring Established Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    SG is Gold (NB is Bronze, PS is Silver and WP=Platinum). There's a list around somewhere with the mildly rude explanations. QP is the Qantas Pub.

I joined QC when I was a lowly Silver. Six months later I moved up to Gold and gained automatic QC access. When I drop below Gold again (which, touch wood, won't be for a few years) my interrupted QC membership will resume and I'll have another six months before it expires.

You were never a member of the QC, so your options now are to either join, or to accumulate the 700 Status Points required to regain Gold in the next year.

6. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    If you had Qantas Club membership at the point when u attained gold, then the remaining period of it should have activated when you dropped to silver and so should show as Qantas Club Silver

If not, and you wish to get Qantas Club membership, I would suggest giving the QFF deparment a call and seeing whether you can avoid paying the joining fee and just pay the renewal fee since your membership only ended a week ago

Dave

7. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    SG = Scum Gold
    QP = Qantas Pub (aka Qantas Club) [I think]

Sadly I think that your only option if want access to the QP is to buy a full membership. Some people will say though that if you aren't flying enough to get SG with its free QP membership then is it worth the $ you will spend to get it?

8. Skyring

Skyring Established Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If you are doing a lot of short Y domestic flights, then it's worthwhile. You'd need 70 SYD-CBR trips to make up the status points, and that equates to a lot of lounge visits.

9. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Check out your status on line, as Dave Noble indicated.

Other than that, you may be able to avoid the $330 joining fee as you previously had a membership. (A years membership is $355)