Longest "Single flight number" trip - what's your | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Longest "Single flight number" trip - what's your

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowombat

Intern
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
58
Last week I took QF108 from JFK to SYD, boarding on Sunday 12th Feb.

With a snow storm in New York, boarding was delayed till 11pm on the 12th. We got off in Sydney at 16:45 on Wednesday 15th. By my math, and allowing for time zones, the single flight number QF108 took approx 65 hours, from initially getting on to finally getting off.

What's your longest single flight number trip. Note I have excluded
(1) pre-boarding delay
(2) baggage collection delay
in this calculation - please do the same. It's just the time from getting on, to getting off. Intermediate port times are ok to include. :shock:
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
Mine are all boring compared to that flight...

Bne-Syd which took around 4 hours (Weather problems, flew BNE- nearly SYD, nearly SYD-BNE, Refuel and wait for clearance, BNE-SYD)

HKG-SIN which took about 2 hours more than it should have. (Plane problems. False warning on one of the engines. This was after boarding and taxiing. So we remotely disembark, catch buses back to terminal and wait about an hour for a replacement plane to arrive, luggage get transferred etc).

SYD-MEL which took about 90 mins extra (plane problems. Broken APU so manual calculations for everything and a few other hassles).
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,098
Not even close to your marathon flight. :)

My longest "single flight number" trip is 24 hours SYD-MEL-BKK-ATH on Olympic Airlines in 1994.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,265
Flights
My Map
A Colleque and I once took 2¼ hours on a Shorts MCY-BNE. The original schedule was 35 mins with a 25 minute flight time.

Not quite in the 65hr league, but on a scheduled:actual time ratio, it was right up there.

There was a Huge storm over BNE and we bumped around waiting for it to clear, flying between and around ominous looking anvil shaped clouds. A couple of PAX looked rather Green.

I think we may have even flown over Toowoomba!
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Wow, 65 hours is amazing!

My longest "flight" does not count since it included 4 different flight numbers and falls short of your time by almost a whole day (44 hours go to woe). I have had longer with connecting flights (ie no overnight stops along th way), but it also included 2 days of meetings in different countries along with the overnight flights.
 

stuandmel

Intern
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
60
I read a story in The Weekend Australian on QF108 as they had a reporter on board travelling privately. Pushed back from the gate only to sit on the tarmac for 12 hours and go back to the same gate. Sounded like a nightmare as a new flight crew was required to be flown in from LA. You'd want frequent flyer minutes not miles for that one.
 

BlacKnox

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
732
Re: Longest "Single flight number" trip - what's y

cowombat said:
With a snow storm in New York, boarding was delayed till 11pm on the 12th. We got off in Sydney at 16:45 on Wednesday 15th. By my math, and allowing for time zones, the single flight number QF108 took approx 65 hours, from initially getting on to finally getting off.
Perhaps this is a bit confusing. Allowing for time zones & with a 16hr time difference (NYC/ SYD) then it's probably more accurate to say QF108 took approx 49 hours, meaning of course you were on that flight for over 2 days - :shock: . Glad you survived :) .
 

cowombat

Intern
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
58
Re: Longest "Single flight number" trip - what's y

BlacKnox said:
cowombat said:
With a snow storm in New York, boarding was delayed till 11pm on the 12th. We got off in Sydney at 16:45 on Wednesday 15th. By my math, and allowing for time zones, the single flight number QF108 took approx 65 hours, from initially getting on to finally getting off.
Perhaps this is a bit confusing. Allowing for time zones & with a 16hr time difference (NYC/ SYD) then it's probably more accurate to say QF108 took approx 49 hours, meaning of course you were on that flight for over 2 days - :shock: . Glad you survived :) .
Ohhh - it was jetlag screwing up my numbers - you're right, 49 hours. If I did add the time from checkin to leaving with luggage, it was another 6 hours. It just felt like 65 hours.... last week just disappeared from my existance!!
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,265
Flights
My Map
Re: Longest "Single flight number" trip - what's y

cowombat said:
... last week just disappeared from my existance!!
This seems to be the normal perception with Westbound travel from the LOTFAP.

Normal departure, say Monday, arrive Oz Wednesday! By the time you get back to work, it's Thursday!

With the snow issues it only could only be worse!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
Wow, 65 hours is amazing!

My longest "flight" does not count since it included 4 different flight numbers and falls short of your time by almost a whole day (44 hours go to woe). I have had longer with connecting flights (ie no overnight stops along th way), but it also included 2 days of meetings in different countries along with the overnight flights.
Sure if including multiple flights with only transits in between (staying at airport) my maximum goes up by several days. But for a single flight number probably only 29 hours or so.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
The longest single flight number I was on was MS777 CAI-SYD which ended up arriving in SYD 36 hours late , so a total journey time of about 53 hours..... windscreen cracked near Dubai and the plane quickly descended and then popped to Dubai

Admittedly, I didnt stay on the flight for the whole period; when they herded people off to a hotel, I got them to rebook me on that evening's EK flight to MEL. First opportunity to try EK First class and was very impressed

Dave
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
My longest is similar to NM's... I was sitting in 11A of QF30 LHR-SYD and the plane got half way down the runway, and aborted the take off after a bang from on of the left hand engines.

Pilot came out, and made sure everyone was okay on the upper deck as it was a very quick stop (almost a takeoff speed).

We taxied back to a remote stand at T4, and then waited a couple of hours for QF31 to be turned around (arrival approx same time as we were due to take off).

The problem came that QF30 usually arrives late in the evening, and as we left approx 4 hours late, it would have put us way past SYD curfew.

With a lot of fast flying, and an amazing 25 minute turn around in HKG, we scraped into Sydney at 11:15pm... So QF would have got a fine for the late arrival, but we were still able to land! A much better option than being diverted to BNE or MEL.

So no where near the 60 odd hours... That would have been painful.

D P G
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
DPG said:
My longest is similar to NM's... I was sitting in 11A of QF30 LHR-SYD and the plane got half way down the runway, and aborted the take off after a bang from on of the left hand engines.
I wish my 44 hour sojourne had been seated in 11A :cry: . Twas seated in 10D, 19C, 55G, 17A, and 34C. No delays. These were all pretty much operated on time. And the longest connection time was just under 3 hours. This was the week after the Sydney Olympics finished, and the only seats I could get at short notice from BNE to RDU was westbound via SYD, SIN, FRA and LGW.
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
NM said:
DPG said:
My longest is similar to NM's... I was sitting in 11A of QF30 LHR-SYD and the plane got half way down the runway, and aborted the take off after a bang from on of the left hand engines.
I wish my 44 hour sojourne had been seated in 11A :cry: . Twas seated in 10D, 19C, 55G, 17A, and 34C. No delays. These were all pretty much operated on time. And the longest connection time was just under 3 hours. This was the week after the Sydney Olympics finished, and the only seats I could get at short notice from BNE to RDU was westbound via SYD, SIN, FRA and LGW.
I felt sorry for the people in whY that day...

Business and First were taken to the BA Terraces, and the the QF rep was there to answer questions, look at changing connections, etc...

I was just amazed how quickly they turned the plane around in HKG... An army of cleaners came through, each had a single thing to do... I would say that there would have been about 20 of them on the upper deck alone. They made the transit passengers stay on the plane, and quickly let the LHR-HKG pax off, and the HKG-SYD pax on, and hats off to QF, they got us in on time...

I guess there was enough motivation for them to do it, as I can imagine it isn't cheap putting a 3/4 full plane load of people up in a hotel, and then flying them the remaining leg the following morning.

Not a bad effort!

Totally contrary to the flight from ADL at the weekend, then plane was approx 40 mins late, and the staff just seemed to be far too casual in getting the plane turned around and us on it. I think it actually took longer than the normal turn around!

It was a disappointing end to an exciting day to the new airport...

D P G
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,245
Messages
1,873,446
Members
49,092
Latest member
SallyT
Top